B21 Fuel Stop

PJsandiego

Equipment
B21
Dec 8, 2019
San Digo, Ca
B21 Fuel Stop will not retract on ignition. Will extend to turn off engine, but will not retract when starter. Fuses appear good. What could be the issue. I already replaced fuel stop solenoid.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You need to realize that the fuel stop solenoid has two internal coils. One strong one to initially retract the solenoid and then once retracted a weaker low power coil hold the solenoid retracted to allow the engine to run.

Clearly the strong retract circuit is not working.

There is a 5 amp fuse feeding the hold circuit.

The retract or pull in circuit is fed from the starter solenoid.

You need to check for voltage at the fuel stop solenoid on the red wire when the engine is cranking.

Dave

Attachments

PJsandiego

Equipment
B21
Dec 8, 2019
San Digo, Ca
thanks so much. I think this will do it. Pretty sure it's the line. I replaced the solenoid already and that didn't do it. What I don't understand is why it would release when under power but would not retract. I assume the line is shorted out somewhere, the fuse is fine. Should figure it out soon with your help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
thanks so much. I think this will do it. Pretty sure it's the line. I replaced the solenoid already and that didn't do it. What I don't understand is why it would release when under power but would not retract. I assume the line is shorted out somewhere, the fuse is fine. Should figure it out soon with your help.
You have the WSM?

If not you need to get it, as the Stop solenoid is not directly feed, it runs through a OPC controller, there are many possible issues that could be going on with it. ;)