Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Fabrication & Customization

Fabrication & Customization Show off and share the details of your custom improvements to your tractor, your truck or anything else you get your hands on.

Old 3 Days Ago   #31
taranakiguy
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7100-D HST
Default Re: Fabricating Loader Sub Frame for B7100 HST

Quote:
Originally Posted by torch View Post
When I built my loader, one design "rule of thumb" I came across was that the bucket on the ground should be approximately 1 front tire diameter in front of the tractor. EG: if the front tire is 20" in diameter, then the back of the bucket should be approximately 20" in front of the tractor.
Thanks Again for the info Torch... I feel a bit more comfortable now armed with that info... seems that based on that rule of thumb the bucket is sitting in roughly the right place relative to the front wheel... see pics attached
20 inches by my calculations is 508mm and the back of the bucket sits approx 1050mm from the rear of the front tyre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Wheel.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	46085   Click image for larger version

Name:	bucket relative to wheel.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	46086   Click image for larger version

Name:	bucket relative to wheel 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	46087  
taranakiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 3 Days Ago   #32
taranakiguy
1st Yr. Apprentice

Hi again Torch

Quote:
Ask a plumber or pipefitter. 1/2" NPT is a common size for those trades.

Not sure if I have a different size Hydraulic Transmission Oil filler cap??? But mine doesn't seem to be 1/2 inch. It seems to be more like 20.5mm (13/16" or am i measuring it wrong?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	filler cap.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	46088  
Old 3 Days Ago   #33
torch
Journeyman

Equipment: B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, RC54-71B, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL, homemade Cab

Ok, it must have been the perspective in the pics, it just looked further forward than it was. But the tape don't lie, so you're golden there.

1/2" NPT is the standard tapered thread for 1/2" pipe (National Pipe Thread). Pipe is sized by nominal ID (tube is sized by nominal OD) so the OD is ) .804", a little over 21mm.

Since pipe thread is tapered, running the tap in a little deeper will open up the thread and let the cap wind in further.
torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #34
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240

Taranakiguy, that is an interesting steel tape measure. Just don't see them is these parts!

You're doing a nice job. Nothing much more satisfying then building something yourself that does what you want, the way you want and save a couple of thousand dollars!

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."
D2Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #35
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranakiguy View Post
Hi again Torch

Not sure if I have a different size Hydraulic Transmission Oil filler cap??? But mine doesn't seem to be 1/2 inch. It seems to be more like 20.5mm (13/16" or am i measuring it wrong?
Yes your measuring it wrong, 1/2" is the inside pipe measurement, and yes that is a 1/2" NPT fitting.
Old 2 Days Ago   #36
taranakiguy
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Cat View Post
You're doing a nice job. Nothing much more satisfying then building something yourself that does what you want, the way you want and save a couple of thousand dollars!
Thanks D2Cat...
I really enjoy learning by doing, so this little Kubota has been a great classroom. At some point I'd love to strip her right back and freshen her up with new paint etc... but that might have to wait until I've built a decent workshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Cat View Post
Taranakiguy, that is an interesting steel tape measure. Just don't see them is these parts!
Ha.. just assumed that this would be the sort of thing that lying around in every toolbox in the world?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tape measure.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	46106  
Old 2 Days Ago   #37
taranakiguy
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
1/2" NPT is the standard tapered thread for 1/2" pipe (National Pipe Thread). Pipe is sized by nominal ID (tube is sized by nominal OD) so the OD is ) .804", a little over 21mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Idaho Wolfman View Post
Yes your measuring it wrong, 1/2" is the inside pipe measurement, and yes that is a 1/2" NPT fitting.
Thanks Torch and Wolfman... I obviously have got a lot to learn... so thank you yet again for the advice...
I have ordered a 1/2" NPT tap so hopefully that will do the trick
Old 19 Hours Ago   #38
taranakiguy
1st Yr. Apprentice

Well the Loader Legs seem to function as intended... just need to get some paint on them... but as you can see with the water on the bucket... it's been a bit wet to paint outside (might need to hook her back up and move it under cover)

Question...
Is it normal practice to somehow anchor the bucket when trying to back the tractor out from under the loader? I'm assuming it must be, as mine was really tightly bedded onto the subframe and wouldn't budge without the persuasion of a block of wood and a large hammer.

So I'm wondering in future if it would be worthwhile perhaps tethering the bucket to a solid post (or something similar) to anchor the loader in the hope that I can then simply reverse the tractor (once removing the locking pins) to slide the tractor out from under the loader...

(don't think the wife wife was too impressed that I asked her to stand in the bucket and act as said anchor!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Loader Legs.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	46185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loader Legs 2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	46186  
Old 19 Hours Ago   #39
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240

Maybe you just have the mounting brackets built to a real close tolerance! Maybe a bit of wear from removing the loader will make it a bit easier. The should actually be free when all the pins holding it are removed and the weight is off the loader towers.

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."
D2Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Hours Ago   #40
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

All my loaders have the loader stands further forward, acts as a seesaw, curl bucket down, set stands, curl bucket up and the back of the loader pops up to clear the mounts, disconnect the loader hydraulics and away ya go.
The old Kubota loaders used bars / stands off the sides of the bucket, to allow it to lift the back of the loader up then there were stands like yours too hold up the back legs.

Last edited by North Idaho Wolfman; 5 Hours Ago at 09:33 AM.
North Idaho Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote