Rust cancer treatments ???

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
In the marine industry, we use muriatic full strength to remove rust and corrosion. After dipping in acid, neutralize it by dipping the parts in a baking soda and water solution. Dry, prime and paint. Acid is about $5 a gallon at the hardware store, and baking soda is fairly cheap at the grocery store. Use safety glasses and don't breath the fumes. DO NOT use it on aluminum. You won't have much left to work with, LOL.
Got some jobs occasionally at paper mill pumping either black or white liqueur. They tried pumping the stuff using hoses with aluminum fittings :eek: Them babies turned black and started smoking pretty quick :eek::p:D

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
In the marine industry, we use muriatic full strength to remove rust and corrosion. After dipping in acid, neutralize it by dipping the parts in a baking soda and water solution. Dry, prime and paint. Acid is about $5 a gallon at the hardware store, and baking soda is fairly cheap at the grocery store. Use safety glasses and don't breath the fumes. DO NOT use it on aluminum. You won't have much left to work with, LOL.

Thanks, I should have mentioned to neutralize it!, the aluminum I assumed with the class of viewers here was a no brainer,. but a good catch also.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Buddy of mine used reverse electro-plating on some old steel pieces he uncovered on his property. He used a 14v power supply from an old laptop.

The next morning he was stunned at the metal being completely rust free after 100 years in the dirt.

Note To Self: Whenever you pitch a laptop or printer, SAVE THE DC POWER SUPPLY!!!

Ray

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Buddy of mine used reverse electro-plating on some old steel pieces he uncovered on his property. He used a 14v power supply from an old laptop.

The next morning he was stunned at the metal being completely rust free after 100 years in the dirt.

Note To Self: Whenever you pitch a laptop or printer, SAVE THE DC POWER SUPPLY!!!

Ray
So thats why i have been saving all these power adapters. I have a drawer full of them, figured i could use for something. Most laptop power supplies are 19 volts. Could see why they work so well.

I cleaned a fuel pickup for an antique car restoration, brass screen was very fine and blocked solid. Was old gas that was like black paint and nothing would cut it.
A jug of water, clr and my battery charger and in a few hours it was spotless. But a power adapter would be a great test to see how it works. Bigger surface needs more amperes i think.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too collect all AC to DC power converters. Those that came on cordless phones, old printers, even much older pc speakers, I even crack open old PC's and steal THOSE power supplies out of them....they are great to use for all kinda odds and ends. Not sure that any of them outputted more than 2 amps constant dc voltage. The only draw back would be a the slowness of the rust removal, but then again it took a hellva lot of years to get the rust there, whats a couple of more hours waiting for it to come off!:D:eek::)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I think the amps will get you done faster but the higher voltage vs a charger will do a pretty good job. Might take a little longer.

Jim's iron pieces were railway spikes and bolts that were almost unrecognizable. After the "bath" the pieces were immaculate.

Immaculate doesn't mean it replaces metal oxidized (not there any more) by the rust. It just means the rust is completely removed right down to the metal.

Amazing and fun... I have a drawer of PSs too! :) Time to put them to work.

Ray

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Getting it set up to try a fender. Using a 96 gallon trash tote.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455473776.483314.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455473793.217998.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455473805.857742.jpg

Only snag that I may run into is my battery charger.

When I purchased the charger for the house, they had changed technology. The charger is one of them new fangled "smart chargers" that's computer controlled. Probably gonna have to run into the shop and swap battery chargers :rolleyes:

Gonna try this one out before I make a trip to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Actually it's working :) Got her set on the 40amp setting and it's already bubbling :D thought about bumping it to the 200amp boost :eek: but figured that would be overkill :rolleyes:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455475975.057759.jpg

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Never mind :rolleyes: just walked out to check it and it shut off :( gonna run to town and swap chargers. Don't have a spare battery I can donate to the cause.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
don't get over zealous - two many of them thar amps will cook it good! the 40 amp is too much for the continuous output of the charger, that is why it shut itself off - ifn you leave it on the 2amp, 5 amp or 10 amp (whatever the low setting is)- it should stay on continuously.;):)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Actually that new fangled one has some sensors in there to where it switches to maintain, it also senses if there is a short in the battery and how much of a charge it has.

Got the charger swapped out and set on 10 amp.

The stews cooking out there :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455480197.408029.jpg

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I hope it works out for you Daren, My fenders need the same attention. If the paint comes off too I'm sold.

I don't remember where I saw the restoration project, but they had the metal parts that saw wear painted with LineX at a color to match the original. I would like to do the same when it's time for a restoration. For the mean time I keep my surface rusted fenders well oiled and has held up well, I hate road salt!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I hope it works out for you Daren, My fenders need the same attention. If the paint comes off too I'm sold.

I don't remember where I saw the restoration project, but they had the metal parts that saw wear painted with LineX at a color to match the original. I would like to do the same when it's time for a restoration. For the mean time I keep my surface rusted fenders well oiled and has held up well, I hate road salt!
The video that 85Hokie posted is what sold me on giving it a shot. Especially if it removes the paint :D:D If it does a good job on the fenders, I'll probably pull the hood and do that in halves :D:D We should have some idea come morning ;) I did see some paint flakes floating on top of the water. But that could have been some of the stuff that was bubbled all ready. The rust had worked under the paint pretty good in spots

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
you know the story.....without pictures - the paint and rust is still on the fenders!! Looking forward to seeing the shiny "new" fenders!!!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
you know the story.....without pictures - the paint and rust is still on the fenders!! Looking forward to seeing the shiny "new" fenders!!!!
So far, not as much progress as what was in your video. But then, I have almost 10 times as much solution as well :rolleyes: Bet it's gonna work much slower :rolleyes: I am seeing some pieces of sticker, and quite a bit silver looking stuff floating around on top.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking good brother - how much of them "suds" you place in there? You do have a lot more water than the video - I think you will be happy tomorrow morning!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Looking good brother - how much of them "suds" you place in there? You do have a lot more water than the video - I think you will be happy tomorrow morning!
At a table spoon per gallon of water :rolleyes: The whole box :D Took six cups according to the math. 96 gallons plus or minus of water. Box was just under 6 cups.