kubota b6000 18spline to 10spline fix

fryeer

Equipment
B6000e
Dec 19, 2010
woodstown, new jersey
Well as you can tell I am new to this. My Kubota B6000e has a 10 spline pto shaft I just pickup a S850 Tiller that bolts to the back of the kubota looking at the tiller input it is a 18spline does anyone have a way I can make them fit. I would think I need to pull it apart and change parts out.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Order/find a 10 spline pto shaft yoke for the correct size cross bearing on your universal and just switch out the yokes. An adapter may cause alignment/shaft length issues.

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
The two point tillers are nice because they fit so snugly to the back of the tractor. It seems like the B6000 came with 10 spline and 18 spline PTO shafts. I don't know if there is a year break, an update, or a North American market distinction, or what. No matter which way they came, you should be able to buy either the output shaft for the tractor, or the input shaft for the tiller, at a US parts source. Make sure to let us know what you find out.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Remember a B6000 is a reverse rotation shaft!

fryeer

Equipment
B6000e
Dec 19, 2010
woodstown, new jersey
the tiller gets bolted right to the back of the Kubota so there is no room to add parts I need to change out the 18spline gear on the tiller or the 10spline on the Kubota but I dont think there is a way to do that.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
hi guys,
i've not seen any differing size spline pto shafts on the B6000's on my travels to be honest, my b6000 has an s850 tiller, i bought it just after i aquired the tractor, the question of splines never entered my mind, the tiller just went straight on without issue.
I have however trawled throught the parts manual which does cover all variants of the b6000, and i was surprised at the amount of differing parts, in a lot of areas.
The B6000e does have a differnt output shaft (pto) to the item fitted to the other variants inc the 4x4 model, but weather the splines are all the same , it doesnt say.
It may also be an issue connected to JDM versions as opposed to other woldwide versions.

just a thought guys.

rob

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
The B6000e does have a differnt output shaft (pto) to the item fitted to the other variants inc the 4x4 model...
That is the critical bit of information. So buying the output shaft for a B6000 should let him swap output shafts and have a compatible tractor. The spline adapters I have seen for sale are for 18 spline tractors, so this would also let you run an adapter to power any other implements you find with 1 3/8" 6 spline connections.

I requested an email from Messick's for their parts diagrams yesterday, but have not yet received them.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Its not that easy, if this is the reason for the differing shafts, then swapping shafts wont work.
The PTO shaft in qusetion here is "shaft 5" and the difference between the 2WD & 4WD shafts is " major" to say the least. On the 4WD , shaft "5" has a gear on the shaft and the shaft is a diiferent shape etc, also "shaft 3" is different to the 2WD version, so i cant really see how it would be possible to just swap over output shafts without stripping down the whole gearbox assembly, and i dont think it would work then as to many other parts would have to be changed, if off course they could be that is.

pic attached , parts 38 (b6000 ) and 69(B6000e) are the output shafts (pto), you can see the other parts in question also.

I have also checked the S850 manual for changes in parts, it list several versions with a few mods and revisions etc but the splined sleeve in question is the same part and part number on all the versions in my manuals.

I am thinking it must be a JDM issue , another grey market problem.
Just a shot in the dark here, are you sure its a kubota S850 you have and not a yanmar RS , they are similar units and fitting method which may have a relavance, but if yours has kubota labels etc on it , prob safe to say its the correct unit.

just my input here guys.

rob

Attachments

Last edited:

fryeer

Equipment
B6000e
Dec 19, 2010
woodstown, new jersey
Its not that easy, if this is the reason for the differing shafts, then swapping shafts wont work.
The PTO shaft in qusetion here is "shaft 5" and the difference between the 2WD & 4WD shafts is " major" to say the least. On the 4WD , shaft "5" has a gear on the shaft and the shaft is a diiferent shape etc, also "shaft 3" is different to the 2WD version, so i cant really see how it would be possible to just swap over output shafts without stripping down the whole gearbox assembly, and i dont think it would work then as to many other parts would have to be changed, if off course they could be that is.

pic attached , parts 38 (b6000 ) and 69(B6000e) are the output shafts (pto), you can see the other parts in question also.

I have also checked the S850 manual for changes in parts, it list several versions with a few mods and revisions etc but the splined sleeve in question is the same part and part number on all the versions in my manuals.

I am thinking it must be a JDM issue , another grey market problem.
Just a shot in the dark here, are you sure its a kubota S850 you have and not a yanmar RS , they are similar units and fitting method which may have a relavance, but if yours has kubota labels etc on it , prob safe to say its the correct unit.

just my input here guys.

rob
I don't see any labels on the tiller so I cant say for sure that it is a kubota the guy that I got it from told me it was a kubota

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Here's a dumb question for ya:

Any chance that your unit has a PTO reverser installed on it?

If it did, then it would have a standard output shaft that would likely be different from the original.

When you engage the PTO, if you're standing behind the tractor looking at it with it turning, does it rotate clockwise or counter clockwise?

Just a thought.

Steve

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I've seen a PTO reverser made by Boston Gear that looks like a flat figure-8 that apparently contains two gears.

One end of '8' fits over the existing PTO and the other end of the '8' has a male PTO stub sticking out that maintains the same distance from the back of the tractor but just moves the shaft over a couple inches.

I don't know why the stub sticking out couldn't be whatever configuration you needed.

If you already have the tiller that's made to run 'backwards' this might not resolve the problem but might be handy for other implements.

Please advise your resolution.