Upgrade from 2501?

Johnson16

Equipment
L2501
Jul 9, 2019
Metamora, Michigan
I am sure this thread has been written several times, but currently looking at an upgrade. I have see threads for L3560 vs MX4800 and trying to choose between those too. If that wasn't tough enough, with the 3560LE I am really struggling now. You can get a CAB on the 3560 for similiar price as the MX4800 it seems. I use my tractor probably only 50 hours a year, is a cab really worth it? Over half of that time is probably spent moving snow I bet. I am still young, but cab does seem pretty nice. Haven't run into hornets nest in summer yet thankfully.

In a perfect world, for a bit more money I could wait for the MX5400 and get it with a cab!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Only you can decide whether you need or want a cab though in Michigan I can certainly see its advantages - especially in winter. Why do you feel you need to upgrade? If you only need more power the larger L series will certainly do that. If you need more tractor it will take a move to the much heavier M series.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
They may exist, but I've not yet seen a thread about someone regretting getting a cab ;)
Not a thread, but I once bought a new NH T4050 Deluxe with ALL of the bells and whistles including cab because it was truly a once in a lifetime deal. At the time, I knew that I would not be able to use it in certain areas because of trees but convinced myself that I could justify it for use in other areas by buying a new Woods MDS1260 mounted 10 1/2' cutter and a FEL mounted 7 1/2' hydraulically angled snow plow.

About four years later, I sold the T4050 with less than 50 hours, last year I sold the MDS1260 with, perhaps, 10 hours, and recently, I sold the snow plow unused.

Due to the truly exceptional deal that I received for the T4050 and significant price increases in rotary cutters, I was able to recover my money, but everything sat in the barn for over four years.

SDT

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Depends on what is your primary reason for upgrading?

I have the L3560 and love the tractor. It was nice all summer long being in the air conditioning and not fighting the bugs or the dust/dirt.

So far, the limited cold weather use has also proven nice and I suspect that as winter moves in, it will prove even nicer as we continue to work on cleaning up the farm.

This is my first tractor and I'm glad I went with a cab. My dad has three tractors all open station tractors, but he wishes that he had at least one that was a cab after seeing mine.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
You know your needs (and wants) best. You have a familiarity with the property and whatever requirements and limitations it imposes. My guidance generally follows the tractor equivalent of the advice given to someone anticipating trouble - "Bring enough gun".

While operating the L4240 this past Saturday I saw that there were 112 hours added to the clock in the past 10-11 months. The factory cab makes a huge difference in comfort, and the HST2 and other features of the Grand series are features I wouldn't want to be without.

This was our upgrade from an L3200 that has a heated cab I completed about 6 years ago. With the heat, pollen and dust to deal with in Summer A/C seemed like a good thing for a 70 YO to have. Thought process was to get a wider RFM and A/C. Add 5 HP for each = 42HP. The L4240HSTC met those requirements and was Pre Tier IV Final. In the bargain the FEL is more capable and it turns sharper then the L3200. Just like grandkids, wish we'd have had it sooner.

With the 7-1/2' RFM it makes a great mower for our 3-1/2 acres of grass. The completion of the 8' snow plow project last Winter made it the ticket for snow removal.

Last edited:

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I am sure this thread has been written several times, but currently looking at an upgrade. I have see threads for L3560 vs MX4800 and trying to choose between those too. If that wasn't tough enough, with the 3560LE I am really struggling now. You can get a CAB on the 3560 for similiar price as the MX4800 it seems. I use my tractor probably only 50 hours a year, is a cab really worth it? Over half of that time is probably spent moving snow I bet. I am still young, but cab does seem pretty nice. Haven't run into hornets nest in summer yet thankfully.

In a perfect world, for a bit more money I could wait for the MX5400 and get it with a cab!
Aside from a cab, is just going up to the smallest grand L that big of an upgrade? If you just want the cab, go for it.

If you are wanting more power and a cab, i would wait on the M you mentioned or look into a larger L. The smaller size of the L would be my preference but only you know your needs.

Johnson16

Equipment
L2501
Jul 9, 2019
Metamora, Michigan
Aside from a cab, is just going up to the smallest grand L that big of an upgrade? If you just want the cab, go for it.

If you are wanting more power and a cab, i would wait on the M you mentioned or look into a larger L. The smaller size of the L would be my preference but only you know your needs.
I think the 3560 is a massive upgrade from the 2501. I suspect you are looking at nearly 50% increase in weight if you add a cab with the bigger loader. Just afraid I will not be quite happy with the PTO power. I keep thinking one day I will get a PTO chipper. That said i can get an old Massey 245 for under $5000 to run a chipper and/or bigger brush hog. Just have two tractors then. 3560LE with cab for loader, brush clean up, snow removal and the other high PTO rig for the other projects. Decisions decisions

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The L3560 and the other 60s offer a lot more than you might think. Much heavier frame for bigger loader. Better transmission, mid pto if you order it, Intellipanel with dpf filter monitor, and so forth. They are an ideal tractor for chores and cleanup. They are not big enough for serious farming of big acreages.

Johnson16

Equipment
L2501
Jul 9, 2019
Metamora, Michigan
The L3560 and the other 60s offer a lot more than you might think. Much heavier frame for bigger loader. Better transmission, mid pto if you order it, Intellipanel with dpf filter monitor, and so forth. They are an ideal tractor for chores and cleanup. They are not big enough for serious farming of big acreages.
Can't tell from the pic but are you running AG tires? I currently have those on my 2501 but a little rough on the lawn. I have thought about going to a Turf tire if I did the 3560. With a cab and loaded rears I suspect I would get plenty of traction plowing snow (better then the R4's). My only fear would be stick and stumps in the woods puncturing them. R1 isn't an option with heavier tractor though. Too much yard damage.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have loaded R4's. They are ok on the lawn as long as I don't forget it's in 4wd and crank the power steering, it will peel off a layer of grass under certain conditions.

I have not gotten it stuck, have used the diff lock a couple times. For plowing a path with a back blade through deep snow I can spin the wheels if I get too much snow build up behind the tractor, but this is I suspect, an operator skill issue.

I listened to a tech the other day who is also a Kubata salesperson, advise someone, if they are going to use a loader on this size tractor to be sure to load the tires. Much safer besides added traction.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Can't tell from the pic but are you running AG tires? I currently have those on my 2501 but a little rough on the lawn. I have thought about going to a Turf tire if I did the 3560. With a cab and loaded rears I suspect I would get plenty of traction plowing snow (better then the R4's). My only fear would be stick and stumps in the woods puncturing them. R1 isn't an option with heavier tractor though. Too much yard damage.
I realize you addressed this to Sheepfarmer but thought I'd offer some info anyway. My last three tractors have had R4's (loaded rears) and the vast majority of the time is either mowing or running through the yard with them to do other work. The only time I need to be careful is with brand new tires with real sharp-shouldered lugs. I've wanted to try a set of modern turfs but the R4's have been a known entity so I'm hesitant to change.

I never mow with the tractor in 4WD or with the loader on. Very easy to drop the frame and all. All 4 tires are grooved. Traction in Winter is no issue even without using chains.