Battery life

Pizzaguy

Equipment
L3240 HSTC
Nov 24, 2012
Northwest Iowa
How many years are you getting on the battery?
I have had tractor for 7 years and always have used battery tender. Original battery. I am thinking I am already on borrowed time and should replace it so I dont get stranded in a snowstorm when I really need it. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
How many years are you getting on the battery?
I have had tractor for 7 years and always have used battery tender. Original battery. I am thinking I am already on borrowed time and should replace it so I dont get stranded in a snowstorm when I really need it. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
These days it is not uncommon for cranking batteries to last 10 years or more if not abused, e.g., run flat or not recharged every 4-6 weeks when not in service.

SDT

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I just replaced the original Deka battery in my 2005 BX last November.
I would load test it before replacing it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm at 6+, and have no intention to replace just yet.

Like you, I also use a tender. I sold my 11 year old Harley with an original battery. Sold me on the benefit of a tender.....

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I agree with above posters.... Instead of *guessing* about the battery TEST IT.

There are TWO specific tests which should be done to ascertain battery health.
1) Load test.
2) Internal resistance test.

Number1 starts with a fully-charged battery and puts a specific resistive load on it. As the battery drains thru the load, the time is measured to see how well the battery supplies current.

Number2 is done with an electronic gizmo which has the ability to measure how much sulfatoin is built-up on the plates. This gives a good measure of how much life the battery has left.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Batteries come under the definition of 'consumable' for me. When they fail to perform properly, I replace them.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That’s what booster-cables are for.... So you can get maximum life out of your batttery...and when it finally dies.... boost it for current use (pardon the pun) and go buy a new battery.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That’s what booster-cables are for.... So you can get maximum life out of your batttery...and when it finally dies.... boost it for current use (pardon the pun) and go buy a new battery.
+1. Just make sure the top (of the battery) isn't dusty when you buy it. Dusty top is a sure sign it's older and probably well on it's way to being sulphated.

Always buy a flooded cell battery from a volume seller, nit a mom and pop place where it's sat on the shelf patiently waiting for you to buy it,

Wet charged flooded cell batteries (AGM's too) are aging once the acid is added.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
on the topic of battery life - what do you guys recommend for a good battery tender? I looked at amazon but there are mountains of options available. Id want one to maintain the battery in my L2501 tractor, my Honda Rancher 4x4, Zero Turn Lawn mower, and would like it to be capable of also being used on truck and car. Something dependable and good quality, but reasonable on price.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
+1. Just make sure the top (of the battery) isn't dusty when you buy it. Dusty top is a sure sign it's older and probably well on it's way to being sulphated.

Always buy a flooded cell battery from a volume seller, nit a mom and pop place where it's sat on the shelf patiently waiting for you to buy it,

Wet charged flooded cell batteries (AGM's too) are aging once the acid is added.
At my request, my dealer special orders brand new batteries from Deka, whether he has one on the shelf or not.

Just bought a new one for my B1750 about 6 weeks ago.

SDT

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
The answer is in your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I looked at that brand and wasnt personally impressed. Read a lot of negative reviews, but thanks for the suggestion. Ill research it more on my own.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If you look on the battery there is a manufacturing date stamped on to the case. You then know when to reach to the back of the rack to get a fresh one.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
To each his own I reckon.

I have been using the battery tender jr. For 20 years +
And they work great / cheap too.

Im not sure whats not to like...

You plug it in / it charges the battery

Then goes into float/maintenance mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mistermike

Equipment
L4060
Nov 22, 2019
Walpole, New Hampshire, USA
I trade in my tractors ever 10 years at approximately 1500 hours. Just got my third one, a 4060 cab. Never replaced a battery. They start at 15 below using just the glow plugs. Kubota supplies pretty good batteries.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I got 10 years out of the group 51R in my B3200. I judge a new battery by how heavy it is. The heavier the battery, the more lead plate size it has. I also try to buy the HIGHEST COLD cranking Amp battery. I found a 650 CCA, 51R, battery
from Carquest that has a 2 year free replacement. Engine spins faster.

Nursing a poor battery is hard on a starter and the Dynamo or Alternator.
Deltran Battery Tenders are one of the best I have used. I had a 6 volt Optima in a 1955 VW with a built 1700 cc engine I owned and kept a battery tender on it. I sold the car with the same battery and it was 15 years old.

Most important thing with storage batteries is to not let them discharge or sit dead. Yes you can bring them back, most of the times but they are never the same after.