What are you using to clean up after oil change

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Just did my 50 hour service, oil and fuel, and I will do the other stuff tomorrow. Filters seem to be in stupid spots for easy access and clean up.

Not trying to baby it, but what cleaner are you using to get the oil and fuel off after you do a service?

Brake cleaner seems like it might be too harsh for all the plastic stuff like fuel filter housing and wire loom.

Water based probably won't do all that great.

Thanks

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Re: Waht are you using to clean up after oil change

I commonly use Gunk spray on degreaser. It sits for about ten minutes then rinses off with water. Of course you could just use a solution of dish washing detergent in warm water. I believe you're right on brake cleaner being too harsh.

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany

I always use break cleaner in those cases. Lots of it. Absolute no problem.
:)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

I think it is called Purple Power. Spray it on BEFORE ANY WATER then let it soak for a few and then rinse it off. A 1 gallon garden sprayer is a great thing to use to apply it.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

2X times on Brake cleaner, it's like a mechanic's candle in the shop.:D
Well 2nd next to Kroil , It's the perfume:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

Simple Green spray let it sit and rinse,, leaf blower to remove all the water

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I use "Oil Eater", spray on / hose off.
It's very similar to "Simple Green" without the terrible smell!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use what Wolfman uses, Zep purple degreaser. Menards has it. Leaves no streaks like 'Purple Power' does. Good stuff. I use it in a spray bottle followed by the pressure washer with a wide fan (low pressure) tip.

My engine oil filter pukes all over the engine side and the loader hydraulic connections. Very messy.

Never tried Simple Green. I think it smells like Easy Off oven cleaner...lol

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The Simple Green is good stuff too. It works well in the laundry washer to get the grease. oil and the smell out.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Just did my 50 hour service, oil and fuel, and I will do the other stuff tomorrow. Filters seem to be in stupid spots for easy access and clean up.

Not trying to baby it, but what cleaner are you using to get the oil and fuel off after you do a service?

Brake cleaner seems like it might be too harsh for all the plastic stuff like fuel filter housing and wire loom.

Water based probably won't do all that great.

Thanks
Im not sure what you are cleaning, the tractor, your Harley, or your floors?

Old soft cotton rags work great on tractor parts and big floor drips. Kitty litter or oil dry on big spills.

No need for cleaners or solvents unless you pour oil or grease all over your disc brakes. I wouldnt spray solvent near your oil filter gaskets

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Gunk degreaser if I made a big mess.
Spray brake parts or electrical parts cleaner if I made a small mess.
Old school wiping off, I use Naptha.

All are gentle on rubber and plastic. Some will, if allowed to soak, soften adhesives. Wipe/spray on, rinse/wipe off. I learned that from TV.;)

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
I've used Solvs It for the last 20 or so years. It will also remove grass stains from mowers. Can be diluted appropriately for the job at hand.

Smells like peppermint.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I use starting fluid to clean around oil filter and such on equipment. Best degreaser out there, flammable as the devil though. Also known as Caterpillar leak finder. If you have an oil leak flush it off with starting fluid and let it flash dry. then look for the oil seepage.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I have used MANY different types of cleaner/degreaser over the years.

The 'brake cleaner' has its places (on bare metal or carberators) .... but also tends to remove paint and destroy rubber components. (hoses and Orings may fail several months after contact with 'brake cleaner')

Both the "Oil Eater" and "Zep Purple" are of similar formulation. I VERY MUCH like how these work. They are activated with water, rinse off cleanly and are biodegradable.

Per the instructions, I mix oil-eater 1/2 with water into an old spray-bottle. In this way I can spray it on, use scrub-brush to loosen the thick stuff... then hose it off. Like magic, the greasy crud is gone!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Don't wipe brake clean on your orange paint. You might not notice at first by looking at the paint but your shop towel will be orange.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I just wash it like normal with car wash soap. Normally I'll take a rag to wipe over any big spot first but it always seem to just wash off pretty easy.