L35 Backhoe ????????

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
New to site , wanting to buy a orange tractor with loader , but now after looking at factory backhoe kits , I WANT one on those !!! The backhoe comes off then you have a 3 point hitch !! :D

Thinking about buying a L35 backhoe . Its a 2000 model L35 ft end / backhoe unit , it was a rental unit with 1900 HRS . Its is good cond , tires fair . They are asking $14,000 , I offered $10,000 CASH . He laughed :(. Its been sitting for 5 months , so battery dead . He said for $260.00 I could still rent it , use it for 8 hrs , if I like it buy it and the $260.00 comes off asking price. If I DO NOT buy , I am just out $260.00 and I get to use it all weekend for 8 hrs . Would yall be afraid to buy a rental ? He said they HAVE to keep it serviced because they can not afford for it to break , after they rent it . TO go out and fix on site or give refunds cost them to much cash . Its looks like a tractor that has been worked hard , but he said it runs like new . I am on a buget and most ft end loader 35 hp tractors with NO backhoe cost around $12,000-$16,000 USED !! So I think $14,000 for a L35 is a fair deal , and I get to try it before I buy it . Thanks for ANY info !!!!

Babyfat

Jun 24, 2010
Grass Lake, MI
www.dakins.com
I would say if you have some stuff to do with it rent it and see how it acts,

Things to look at while you have it is bushing play in ALL the pins, see if it has a grease fitting on the front axle pivot (not in first units) and how much play is in there we have one in for repair right now that has 1100 hours and the pivot is worn badly (never greased), L35's are very nice machines

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
Thanks , I have been looking for a couple of months . $14,000 for a 2000 model is a ok deal . He said he was firm on $14,000. I guess with 8 hrs of use I will find the hidden problems .

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
How do L35s do as a tractor ? Box blade , bushog, etc ............ I really only need a ft end loader 4x4 . But I was thinking for $14,000 tractor and backhoe is a better deal than just a tractor only .

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Goochy, I have a 98 - L35 w/ FE/BH. I bought it in 2003 with 325hrs. for $20,000 from a guy in Greenville, MS. (I lived in Jackson for 26 years) It was in really good shape, w/ no play in the FEL or BH. I use it almost every day for something. It now has a little less than 1,000 hrs. I've used it to dig out for the crawl space and foundation for our new house, dug the foundation for my shop, dug and installed 2 different septic systems, dug waterlines, dug out trees, piled brush, mowed the place during summer months, built 800 ft. driveway, and anything else that needs done. I knew I would be doing all this stuff when I bought it. I can't say enough good things about it. I regularly use the 3pt as well as the BH. I added a top-n-tilt kit to mine and a quick-change attachement to the FEL. The only major thing that happened to the tractor was a broken gear in the final drive of the transmission. But I was severly abusing the machine when it broke. The only thing that I have to complain about it that without the BH attached, implement or counterweight on the 3pt, the FEL will pick up more than rear can hold down, even with me on it. I'd say buy it, unless it is worn real bad or the engine is in poor shape. I have posted pictures of mine in action a few times here on OTT. Just do a search on my posts. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have. Let us know what you decide.

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
Thanks for all the info !!!! I looked at it again today , looks ok . He is going to service it next week . I am going to rent it in a couple of weeks . I wish he would go less than $14,000. Its got 1908 hrs . Needs some TLC , but for the price I should beable to spend alittle on it .

Last edited:

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms

It has a few dents , tir rods bent from people running over stuff , 1 new tire ( rear ) . Air filter cover needs to be put back on , they do still have it . Be sitting up for 5 months .

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
If you rent it, be sure to get the 3pt arms and connecting rods to try out the 3pt too. I'll bet the BH has never been off the tractor. The front tires are low. The previous owner of mine ran the fronts low on air and broke them down. I've had to replace mine. The pads on the BH stablizers are set for pavement now. If you are going to work in dirt, they need to be turned over. Keep us posted.

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
:( its as is , I did not see any arms . How much do they cost . He said the BH was taken off once to hook up a boxblade . Does it look to rough for a 2000 model with 1908 hrs ? Still on fence about it . He is holding it for me until Feb , he is busy and can not get it ready till then anyway .

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure if I would buy a rental unit either. Just too many previous owners. Too many questions that couldn't be answered like how often was it driven in 4wd on hard surfaces. But then again I see you dilemma about having a backhoe for the price.

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
I guess I am going to demo ( rent ) it in a couple of weeks . $260.00 for 8 hrs . Any problems should show up at 8 hrs of HARD work . I am going to offer $12,000 CASH ? I'll let ya know what happens .

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
:( my buddy does auctions and he said $14,000 is to much. but I can not find a used tractor 4x4 loader for $14,000 thats 35 hp. Now I really want the backhoe . I guess the only thing to do is demo it, offer less , and then if I have to pay the $14,000 he is asking :( . He turned down $10,000 .

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Keep us posted. On the hitch arms, if they hooked up a box blade, they are bound to be laying around somewhere. When I bought mine, I had to ask for them. That caused a search and they finally found them hanging in the back of an old shed. Try your best to get them, because they'll be some kind of expensive if you have to buy them from Kubota. If they can't find them, and you are going to have to buy some, let me know. I'll be glad to measure mine and take pictures. Good Luck!

Goochy

Jan 13, 2011
Ms
thanks for all info. I want a ORANGE tractor !! I have a 68-70 Ford 3000 2x4 , no loader, diesel , needs tires, paint , has leaks, needs seat , just needs TLC . It runs strong , but I just DO NOT want to fix it . I am ready to turn it loose, I have owned it for 12 years . I am going to call Sat . and ask about 3 point hitch . I know they had them , he said they had a 6 ft box blade on it a few years ago. Do you think $14,000 is fair , from what the pics show ? I guess the best thing is I get to rent it 1st , so I can work it HARD :D, before I buy it !

IC-Smoke

Equipment
B2400, ZD28, BX24
Dec 16, 2010
Pittsford, MI
I dont think you should jump on it, You could find a lot better tractor for around the same price or just a little more with a lot less hours. Just have to look and ask around! If you know of any landscape companies or excavators with one just pop in and ask them if they would sell or if they knew of someone with one that might be parted with.

I would shy away from any rental piece of equipment! who knows what has been done to the tractor. If you're set on the tractor you SHOULD get a oil analysis!! find out what is going on in the motor before you buy!!

You can get free test jugs sent to you from blackstone, it is $25 to get the test.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Ian

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know this is a little different situation but after my last experience with a rental machine I would never want to by from a rental place unless it was dirt cheap. Where I used to work had rented me a trackhoe to strip back some rock and dirt from the pit high wall. When the service light came on I reported it to the rental place and they said to keep running it and they would service it when we turned it in. When I got done with the job the engine oil had over 900 hrs on it. I would be careful buying a rental unit.