I am new and want to buy a used B series

old freddie

Equipment
B2920 with FEL, first choice GM30-60 finish mower, Kodiak 4'SD rotary cutter. Pi
Jul 6, 2016
Pisgah Forest, NC
I need it to grade driveway, bush hog, and loader. My property is on the side of a mountain. I am trying to narrow down my search and think I want a B with 20-26HP with the best lifting. My budget is for models from early 90s to 2005. Any recommendations on models? Want to stay in small footprint.
I don't seem to be getting any feedback after a couple of days. What I was hoping for was if there are any bad models to stay away from or the best model. I am probably going after a B2920 with loader so now I need a rotary cutter that will cut 1-2 inch saplings. Who has an opinion on this? I will also be adding a scrape blade. Brands and model #s please or ones to avoid with soft steel.

Since I did not get any advice, I am now the owner of a 2013 B2920 with FEL and 272 hrs. It came with an old first choice g60 finish mower. $12,300. I want to make the right choice on adding necessary implements. I need a rotary cutter. I am going to add Ken's hooks. I am going to add the Piranha tooth bar. I may add a scrape blade. What is the best choice for cutter and blade? If any body likes I will add a pic.

Last edited:

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Sounds like you know what you're going for already, hence the lack of replies.

I like the piranha bar, I"ve used those teeth on multiple occasions already. I would recommend one.

I picked up a set of kubota forks, to go with my quick release. I freaking love em, multiple uses, I would recommend that too.

Have you thought about adding spacers for stability? Kubota 1 3/8 " on my rears.

Piks!

old freddie

Equipment
B2920 with FEL, first choice GM30-60 finish mower, Kodiak 4'SD rotary cutter. Pi
Jul 6, 2016
Pisgah Forest, NC
Since I am new to tractors and Kubota it is very confusing reading about the steel older models and the high price they are selling for. It looks like buyers are paying a premium to buy the old model like the B2150 which I looked at but thought it did not have a happy previous life. It is also hard to get info on the performance of different models like lifting. Talking to people you get different opinions the B7510 does not lift as well as the 2150 and BX has a lighter frame and does not lift as well. I wanted an FEL so that limited me on choices since I could not find a used FEL to add. If someone would have recommended the older over the newer with some justification I would have purchased older. This B2920 with low hours came up and I did not want to miss it while I was trying to find out about the new emissions on over 25hp. If someone would have said don't buy newer over 25 then I would have stayed under that. Confusing to me but I bit the bullet. My first addition is a rotary cutter which is why I bought the tractor. Also, there seems to be pockets of areas where the little workhorses reside and I am not finding many choices, in my area, even on 4' rotary cutters let alone tractors. I am not familiar with spacers but will look into that. thanks for the input.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I'm new to the tractor world as well. It's a lot to take in all at once. Be glad you didn't buy into the Tier 4 emissions nonsense. I forget exactly where it cuts off, but he lower HP models are waaaay better. I had a very unpleasant experience with the B3350 at @ 33 HP, nothing but trouble. Very glad I traded down to the 2650. Good luck and have fun with your new ride.

KubotaServiceaRep

Jul 12, 2016
Northern US
I'm new to the tractor world as well. It's a lot to take in all at once. Be glad you didn't buy into the Tier 4 emissions nonsense. I forget exactly where it cuts off, but he lower HP models are waaaay better. I had a very unpleasant experience with the B3350 at @ 33 HP, nothing but trouble. Very glad I traded down to the 2650. Good luck and have fun with your new ride.
What was your experience with the b3350?

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I was hoping for some details [emoji23]
search my posts, I"ve retold the story more times than I can count. Mostly over the phone with your boss. or read my reply to your other post, Do you want to look up my notes, I can give you a case number.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Regarding your comment on the 2150, for my part, be glad you moved up from there. I've been quite disappointed in the capabilities of the B2150. Like you, I didn't know enough to be sure what would work for me, but I eventually came to realize that I really should have been looking for an L, but you just don't find many of those at all around here. But with 3 point that tops out around 1k at the pins and a loader that might manage 600 lbs, it does 90% of what I need but the 10% it simply can't do is killing it for me. I bought too small, again...

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
glad you found a tractor that will do what you want.
also glad you avoided the B3350...
i thought i had found a tractor that would do what i wanted, with plenty of reserve power.
from the beginning, i never let my b3350 idle, as i was instructed by the dealer to keep it above 2000 rpm. so if i needed to do something even for a minute or two. i would drop to idle just to let the turbo spin down, then shut the engine off. same thing when starting. as soon as oil pressure came up, the throttle came up. my b3350 has spent more time in a service shop than in my yard. it currently has just over 100 hrs on it. i bought it the first week of jan 2016. it's currently in the shop for repairs, dealing with the regen system. this makes 12 trips either to my place or a repair shop since jan.
we are now in in the process of replacing it.. for a b2650...
i was told that the b2650 would do what i want, but i'll have to take it slower, due to having less power.
i pull a 16" plow at 50% depth, a 5' tiller, 72" mower and several other implements. i was able to pull the plow and tiller in 2nd gear on used ground. now i'll have to be in 1st gear... using the back hoe was already slow compared with the L3200 i traded in, (i couldn't use a finish mower with the L3200 and i'm no longer harvesting trees... used the backhoe or tiller for ballast).
one item i was never told, by my former dealership. the copper washer on the oil pan drain plug, must be changed every time the plug is removed. i had never heard of doing that unless it was a crush designed washer.
just letting everyone know as it was a very expensive item not to know about... as one of the drain plugs on my L3200 came out and the engine lost oil.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I've been away, but see you you bought a 2013 B2920. You didn't go wrong there. Awesome tractor. I have the 13 B2620 and there's nothing it can't do.

I was panning on trading up as new models came out, but it's been too good to me, so I'm keeping it. They are nice and simple and easy to work on.

As far as back blade, I am very happy with the quality of my Land Pride 60" with hydraulic angle.

old freddie

Equipment
Jul 6, 2016
Pisgah Forest, NC
Great, thanks for the positive input. I decided on a Kodiak 4' SD rotary cutter. I looked at a lot of them and decided for the quality and money that one was best for me. I will check into blade recommended. Do you know what height the blade sits when level for hook up? I am looking at a Tennessee River 5' sliding blade. It looks like with a tractor you want everything that will fit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Great, thanks for the positive input. I decided on a Kodiak 4' SD rotary cutter. I looked at a lot of them and decided for the quality and money that one was best for me. I will check into blade recommended. Do you know what height the blade sits when level for hook up? I am looking at a Tennessee River 5' sliding blade. It looks like with a tractor you want everything that will fit.

With all equipment you get size is based on the "CAT / Category" number.
You want to stay with cat 1 implements for that size tractor, Hitch up height will vary from implement to implement.

old freddie

Equipment
Jul 6, 2016
Pisgah Forest, NC
Thanks, good info for a newby. If it is a Cat 1 then it should fit based on adjustments. (and HP)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Not really. Cat 1 means it will physically fit, but you still have to pay attention to weight and horsepower limits.

For example a while back I bought a 1000 lb 66" Gannon (actual brand, very HD) that was Cat 1. My B7100 would not have even been able to move it, and I never tried. But I thought my B2150 was big enough, and it could lift it and run around with it, but it was way too close to the absolute limit (tractordata.com says something like 1100 lb limit on 3 point). Very jerky and imprecise control, just way too much for that tractor. Other larger Bs that also have Cat 1 hitches could have handled it just fine...

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Read through your owners manual for implement ratings and limitation, as with some tractors they want you to limit the size of your implements because of mechanical limitations. ;)

old freddie

Equipment
Jul 6, 2016
Pisgah Forest, NC
unfortunately I did not get manuals with the tractor and I am waiting to hear back on whether the PO has any before I purchase. I have looked at info available on line but that is limited. I don't think the blade I am looking at is any more the 300lbs. I have 21hp at the pto for my 4' rotary cutter.

Ben S

Equipment
B2620 FEL MMM mcconell swingtrim
Jan 17, 2015
Holland
unfortunately I did not get manuals with the tractor and I am waiting to hear back on whether the PO has any before I purchase. I have looked at info available on line but that is limited. I don't think the blade I am looking at is any more the 300lbs. I have 21hp at the pto for my 4' rotary cutter.
i have the manuals in pdf format, if i had your email i can mail them to you

Last edited: