3/4 NPT Plug Location

FrankCable

Equipment
MX5200
Jan 15, 2016
Savanna IL
Can anyone help me out? I have a MX5200 that I need to install a block heater on, and I can't for the life of me find the 3/4 NPT plug that I need to remove to install the block heater. Does anyone have a picture of this plug on the engine? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Could it be where parts key 070 is located? It's described as a comp pipe(water) but no size given.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it has the plug (some do some, most don't) , it will be a 17mm allen socket, and it should be on the right side below the injection pump.

If it doesn't have the plug you will need the adapter to put it in the frost/ freeze plug location.
It will look like this:

Measure the frost/ freeze plug hole if it's 32mm then this will work.

http://www.messicks.com/part/70000-00297/block-heater-kit

What part # of heater did you get?

Last edited:

FrankCable

Equipment
MX5200
Jan 15, 2016
Savanna IL
If it has the plug (some do some, most don't) , it will be a 17mm allen socket, and it should be on the right side below the injection pump.

If it doesn't have the plug you will need the adapter to put it in the frost/ freeze plug location.
It will look like this:

Measure the frost/ freeze plug hole if it's 32mm then this will work.

http://www.messicks.com/part/70000-00297/block-heater-kit

What part # of heater did you get?
Thanks Wolfman. I'll look there. I bought the Kats heater for the M Series. Part #11409.

FrankCable

Equipment
MX5200
Jan 15, 2016
Savanna IL
So I think I've found the correct location for the block heater. Can anyone confirm if this is it. Unfortunately it looks like a standard engine plug and not a 3/4 NPT.

As you can see from the picture, this location sucks. Would it be possible/recommended to put the heater in a more accessible location such as these plugs on the "drivers" side of the engine?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes install it in one of the plugs on the drivers side.

Measure the frost plug hole size in inch and metric and I'll make sure you get the right adapter. ;)

kgw51gmc

Equipment
L3800 Gear Drive with NOISY trans and JERKY 3PH, but Nice Ansung FEL...
Jul 14, 2013
Waynesburg, PA
Where did you guys buy one of those freeze plug threaded adapters? Napa? I guess I need to remove it then measure it. Then tractor be down until I get it ordered or to the store? Thanks

06BlueRam

Equipment
Belarus 525M & Kubota L3010 and BX2370-1
Mar 25, 2013
Missouri
CLR1843. John Deere has the for $80. Kubota has them for $75. Bought one today for my Belarus. Can find cheaper online,l didn't want to wait for the shipping. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

06BlueRam

Equipment
Belarus 525M & Kubota L3010 and BX2370-1
Mar 25, 2013
Missouri
Sorry should have read post better. Though you wanted to for find the heater not where to mount it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
06BlueRam,
That heater might work on your Belarus, but it won't fit your L.
There is not enough clearance for the heater element in the motor and there is not threaded opening in the motor without the adapter. ;)

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
FrankCable, did you ever figure this out? I have the same tractor and was trying to figure out which location is the best for the block heater.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
FrankCable, did you ever figure this out? I have the same tractor and was trying to figure out which location is the best for the block heater.
Don't think Frank will answer, he hasn't been back on since 2016, the heater best location is in the frost plug location behind the hydraulic pump, but you won't notice much difference putting in an accessible frost plug location on the right side, in front of the starter.

P/N 70000-00297

Here is the cheapest place to get it:
https://www.ebay.com/p/555749385

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Don't think Frank will answer, he hasn't been back on since 2016, the heater best location is in the frost plug location behind the hydraulic pump, but you won't notice much difference putting in an accessible frost plug location on the right side, in front of the starter.

P/N 70000-00297

Here is the cheapest place to get it:
https://www.ebay.com/p/555749385
If you do install it in the plug on the left side I recommend that you ensure that the element is horizontal. The plugs on the left side only expose a horizontal slot to the block heater so an air pocket is left above the element. if it is installed so that the element protrudes into that air pocket it could allow the element to overheat and burn out. I recommend the element to be horizontal on 60 series tractors for the same reason and because there isn't any place to install a block heater on a 60 series that doesn't have a slot rather than full open port.

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
If you do install it in the plug on the left side I recommend that you ensure that the element is horizontal. The plugs on the left side only expose a horizontal slot to the block heater so an air pocket is left above the element. if it is installed so that the element protrudes into that air pocket it could allow the element to overheat and burn out. I recommend the element to be horizontal on 60 series tractors for the same reason and because there isn't any place to install a block heater on a 60 series that doesn't have a slot rather than full open port.
So will any freeze plug location do? The reason I ask is the recommended location, according to the heater instructions, is blocked by the the starter. It looks like I would have to remove the starter to swing a hammer for the adapter sleeve installation.

Is removing the starter as simple as removing the 2 bolts holding it in or is there more to it?

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
So will any freeze plug location do? The reason I ask is the recommended location, according to the heater instructions, is blocked by the the starter. It looks like I would have to remove the starter to swing a hammer for the adapter sleeve installation.

Is removing the starter as simple as removing the 2 bolts holding it in or is there more to it?
On 4 cylinder 40 series tractors the block heater is supposed to go on the right side behind the hydraulic pump. I have likely installed hundreds of them there! Some people put them in the front frost plug on the left side ( that is right for 3 cylinder engines) You can put it there and it will work but I suggest you be careful that the element is horizontal for optimal life of the block heater! ( Don't put it behind the starter, there isn't room! I know this from trying it!)

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
On 4 cylinder 40 series tractors the block heater is supposed to go on the right side behind the hydraulic pump. I have likely installed hundreds of them there! Some people put them in the front frost plug on the left side ( that is right for 3 cylinder engines) You can put it there and it will work but I suggest you be careful that the element is horizontal for optimal life of the block heater! ( Don't put it behind the starter, there isn't room! I know this from trying it!)
I don't see how it could go in on the right side. The right side is so cluttered with stuff that I can't even see the freeze plugs.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I don't see how it could go in on the right side. The right side is so cluttered with stuff that I can't even see the freeze plugs.
On a mx5200 being a common rail engine it may be that the only place for it is behind the starter.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Does the heater instructions say to use a sealer on the adapter that goes into the block?