Heater fan speed

Hartless

Nov 15, 2019
Marquette
Have a 3710 with a factory cab. The heater fan will not increase in speed when turned to 2 and 3. It stays on low speed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hartless

Nov 15, 2019
Marquette
Got the resistor out and tested it. It tests to the specs so it is good. The fan does spin but only at 1 speed and not enough to blow enough air. Can barely feel the air thru the defroster vents. Thanks.

Last edited:

Hartless

Nov 15, 2019
Marquette
Battery was low at 11.75 amps.

When started the battery tested above 14. I disconnected the power going to the blower motor and tested the volts going to the blower. All 3 speeds tested at 13.6 volts. When I disconnect the resistor the power tested on speed 3 is 13.6. Nothing at speed 1 and 2 with the resistor disconnected.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Battery was low at 11.75 amps.

When started the battery tested above 14. I disconnected the power going to the blower motor and tested the volts going to the blower. All 3 speeds tested at 13.6 volts. When I disconnect the resistor the power tested on speed 3 is 13.6. Nothing at speed 1 and 2 with the resistor disconnected.
This is the circuit diagram

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have attached more info based upon eserv's wiring diagram.

It took me a little while to realize how the speed control is achieved.

In low speed, power for the blower passes through both internal resistors in the resistor.

In high speed, power bypasses the resistor completely utilizing a high speed relay controlled by the blower switch.

In medium speed, power utilizes one of two internal resistors within the main resistor and is controlled by a second medium speed relay which the blower switch turns on.

See if you can identify these two relays. It is possible the blower switch is gone but unlikely as it only switches relay trigger current.

A 5 amp fuse looks important in providing the blower switch with power to trigger both relays.

Dave

Attachments

Hartless

Nov 15, 2019
Marquette
It's the blower motor. After running a bunch of voltage and amp tests I hooked up an extra blower motor my buddy had for a duramax and it worked on all 3 speeds. Kubota wants $500 for the blower motor. I am calling a shop to see if they can clean it and put new bushings in it. If not, I am buying one online for $35 that is close to fitting and will make it work.Thanks for helping out with diagnosing the problem. I appreciate it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dave, I appreciate all the help you offer folks with their electrical problems. I read them all and try to learn. I have to read it (usually more than once), and then physically do it to really get electrical stuff in my head!

I'm a slow learner, but your diagrams and input really helps. Thanks.

Hartless

Nov 15, 2019
Marquette
Does anyone know of a replacement blower motor that may fit in place of a Kubota blower motor? Or any reason why a $35 blower motor shouldn't be used to replace the $500 Kubota with a little modification. Thanks.

Bringing mine in Monday to a shop so it can be looked at and maybe fixed but the guy said they purposely do not make replacement parts so you have to buy a new one

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Dave, I appreciate all the help you offer folks with their electrical problems. I read them all and try to learn. I have to read it (usually more than once), and then physically do it to really get electrical stuff in my head!

I'm a slow learner, but your diagrams and input really helps. Thanks.
Thanks. Greatly appreciate your comments D2Cat!

When writing a post, I try and remind myself of how little I knew 60 years ago and how many people helped me along the way and write accordingly. In the beginning, invisible electricity is difficult to understand for everyone.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Does anyone know of a replacement blower motor that may fit in place of a Kubota blower motor? Or any reason why a $35 blower motor shouldn't be used to replace the $500 Kubota with a little modification. Thanks.

Bringing mine in Monday to a shop so it can be looked at and maybe fixed but the guy said they purposely do not make replacement parts so you have to buy a new one
Could you post a photo or two of the motor.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A few months ago helped a neighbor with his M9540 cooling system. He had to replace the motor on his tractor. The motor is mounted in a housing that could not be duplicated with any stock motor. Maybe your is different, but I have my doubts. Good luck and post some picture of the motor when you can. Thanks.