New guy

Utah Lawman

Equipment
Kubota L185
Nov 7, 2019
Utah
Hello all, this is my first post and thanks for having me. I've got a L185 (manufactured 1978 I think) which I use for dragging logs around and loading the light ones on my sawmill (also orange :)).

I've had it a short while and as you might expect, a tractor this old has some issues. My very recent problem was oil pouring out of a side port (of some kind) right behind the alternator. There was no anti-freeze in the oil so I'm hoping this is not a head gasket issue. I've included some photos.

Can someone please shed some light on this problem if you've seen it before and what I'm looking at to fix it. All of the gauges on this tractor are not working and I'm certain I would get an oil pressure light, if one existed. This is the first sign of any oil coming out from this location and I'm puzzled to say the least. Thanks for any help you can give ... and thanks again for having me !

Attachments

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Hello youself and welcome to OTT. I know nothing of your experience level or experience with that tractor but I've had a similar issue with my old Mitsubishi. It will magically create oil and fill its crankcase to the point where oil pours out the dipstick hole. On my tractor this is caused by a leaking shaft seal on the hydraulic pump. If I replace the pump or the seal the problem goes away. This may or may not be your situation.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am not familiar with that tractor but if Diesel, is the "lift pump" diaphragm broken/cracked and allowing your crankcase to be filled with fuel causing the overflow?

My LT40HDSD sawmill is also Orange. ;)

Utah Lawman

Equipment
Kubota L185
Nov 7, 2019
Utah
Thanks for the response guys. Yes this little 185 is a diesel. I am unfamiliar with the "lift pump diaphram but will look into it and 40dave I will dig into your thread in the near future, thanks.

I have another picture of the "port" now that I've got the alternator moved out of the way. Don't know why my pictures keep turning sideways but hope you guys can get oriented to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks again I will start doing my homework based on your responses.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You must cut a lot of wood to justify that unit.
Mickey -

I've seen some of Magicman's work on another forum that I look at sometimes..

I won't speak for him, but I'm thinking it fits him quite well; neat stuff.....:)

Back to your regularly scheduled program....

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
You must cut a lot of wood to justify that unit.
I am finishing my 17th year of portable sawing and have sawn over 2 million board feet of lumber. Yup, that is a lot considering the fact that I am a one man operation. ;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I will look at my L185 and see what is in that hole. It will be Saturday or Sunday before I get to it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I just took some pic's of the L245 motor in my shop.....I think your oil leeking port/hole may be where the oil pressure gauge used to live????

See if you have an oil pressure sending device screwed in to the block anywhere else.

The pictures I've included are where the oil pressure port is on the 245 (where I added a gauge)
A picture of the bolt as best I could from back by the starter, and then one a little further away.

You'll see the bolt head in the block, approximately where your hole is.

Is yours threaded (stripped threads?) [try taking a picture as close as you can, then zoom in on the picture once it's on your phone....my "scientific method microscope"]

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I will look at my L185 and see what is in that hole. It will be Saturday or Sunday before I get to it though.

Well of course I forgot completely about this today when I was at the tractor.

I will look on Friday = will write a note to remind myself

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On that motor it's supposed to have a plug in that hole. ;)

P/N 32210-27580

Utah Lawman

Equipment
Kubota L185
Nov 7, 2019
Utah
Sometimes you can just trip over a solution ... or in my case kick it across the shop floor. It was just a fluke that I noticed a small little something scurry away from my boot. It looked like a .22 shell but half as long and solid aluminum. I checked the fit and it HAD to come from that hole, 'cause it fit perfectly. I cleaned the plug and hole of oil, added some loctite and tapped it back in for a snug fit.

I did this early in the morning before leaving out of town and didn't have time to put the alternator back in place and fire it up. I'm gone for another day and the suspense is killing me.

So the question remains ... what is it, and why did it come out. Freeze plug ? Leaking hydraulic pump seal filling the crank case with hydraulic fluid? ( as earlier suggested)

I worked the tractor pretty hard the day before this plug came out ... so I have to wonder if I did some internal damage? Time will tell and I will post my findings. I've included more photos. Thanks guys.

Attachments

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Ya know.....if ya worked it hard the day before, and now it's spitting out parts and plugs....you better just ship it to me and be done with it.....I think you two are off on the wrong foot. :D

Seriously though....put her back together, check (and top off) the oil, and ride it like it's stolen!

Dave

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I remembered to look and there is some type of plug in the hole. It sticks out about a quarter inch from the surface

Utah Lawman

Equipment
Kubota L185
Nov 7, 2019
Utah
Good news ! Got back in town and the first order of business was to put the alternator back on and fire up the orange antique ... Everything seems to be fine, 3 point hitch lifted a log and everything works. The little plug has stayed put so I hope this is the first and last time it gives me trouble. I appreciate everyone's advise and taking a look at their tractors for me. Have a feeling this won't be the last time I ask for help as me and this tractor try to get along, than you all !

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Welcome to Orange Tractor.
Glad you found your problem.
I have the same tractor from 78.
Mine has the turf tires.
This tractor is a good machine and has served me well for grass and snow.
You have come to the right place because everyone is so helpful.
David
Maybe someone could tell me how to insert image??