RTV900 crankcase filling with something other than oil

antonov225

Nov 18, 2019
Astatula, Fl, USA
Hi everyone!

I have an RTV900 with around 3000 hours on it, and it sat for about a year, non-running until I got to it. Changed the oil, filter, transmission oil and filters, starter and ignition switch and it seemed good to go for a few months.

However, an issue recently came up. After driving it for a little bit, it would effectively run away for a few seconds and blow excessive oil out of the exhaust. I checked the oil level, and it seemed extremely overfilled, almost halfway up the dipstick. I let the cart sit over the weekend, and changed the oil this morning to get it to the proper level. It didn't separate at all, so it doesn't seem like it's coolant. The trans is also still full, so I don't think it'd be hydraulic oil either. It seems like the only thing left would be diesel is getting into the crankcase. The cart seems to drive perfectly fine now, but I'd like to fix it before it becomes an issue again. Thank you!

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
The seal on your injection pump has likely failed. With three thousand hours, you may need to renew the seals on that pump. I would do it sooner than later as diesel is not a good engine lubricant.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

antonov225

Nov 18, 2019
Astatula, Fl, USA
The seal on your injection pump has likely failed. With three thousand hours, you may need to renew the seals on that pump. I would do it sooner than later as diesel is not a good engine lubricant.

That's what I was afraid of. How hard of a job is it to do? I know that the timing of the injector pulse is controlled by the pump, and I'm new to diesels, so I have no clue how to do that. I'm more used to cars, just started maintaining this fleet of kubotas at a farm :eek:

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Never did one but from what I read is fairly simple to take off. Remember is all nuts and bolts. Look to see if there is a service manual for your machine on the site. That will help you out.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
I tried finding a manual, but I guess I need to be a VIP member to the site. Sorry I can't help more. Used to be able to find manuals, but apparently you have to join a paid service here.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I tried finding a manual, but I guess I need to be a VIP member to the site. Sorry I can't help more. Used to be able to find manuals, but apparently you have to join a paid service here.

The manuals are not on this site.

Usually the first place to look is kubotabooks.com but right now that site is down.

I found manuals on this site:

https://www.manualslib.com/k/kubota+rtv+900.html

Unfortunately, this WSM is only covering some upgrades to the rTV900.

I do have what seems to be a 480 page WSM for an RTV900. I think I got it from Kubotabooks.com.

If you cannot find it once the site is available, send me a private message containing an email address and I will send you a link,

The site is up now. Look under Utility vehicles.

http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/in...s/&AutoIndex=c2c24a7e1023d161bf28ed93713a2416

Dave

Last edited:

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Thanks Dave. Hopefully the original poster will be able to get his rig fixed.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
That's what I was afraid of. How hard of a job is it to do? I know that the timing of the injector pulse is controlled by the pump, and I'm new to diesels, so I have no clue how to do that. I'm more used to cars, just started maintaining this fleet of kubotas at a farm :eek:
The RTV900 has a mechanical lift pump. check it out first before you mess with the injection pump!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Check the steering oil reservoir level under the seat, next to the coolant surge bottle. The steering pump is mounted to the engine just behind the injection pump.
If the input shaft seal on the pump leaks it adds hyd steering oil to the crankcase.

You have either coolant, steering oil or diesel in the crankcase.

antonov225

Nov 18, 2019
Astatula, Fl, USA
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who put in their input. I've been a member of a lot of forums, and I have to say this is by far the most helpful and fast any of them have ever been!

I've ordered a lift pump, so hopefully that'll fix the issue. If not, I'll check the power steering pump. I'll let y'all know if that fixes the issue once it comes in

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who put in their input. I've been a member of a lot of forums, and I have to say this is by far the most helpful and fast any of them have ever been!

I've ordered a lift pump, so hopefully that'll fix the issue. If not, I'll check the power steering pump. I'll let y'all know if that fixes the issue once it comes in
When eserv or Wolfman make a diagnosis, anyone who does not take their advice seriously is making a big mistake.

Dave