Snow Blower Impeller balance

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I am rebuilding a Kubota B2650 snow blower. The impeller looks like someone used it for a rock crusher. To straighten the blades on the impeller I had to cut off the bracing on the back of one. I hammered it straight and built a new brace. The material I used is thicker than the original. So now I am trying to balance the impeller. I put it on my cheepo lawnmower blade balancer but it does not seem to work. I have small square magnets to add weight to the blades but can't seem to find a combination that will get the impeller to come anywhere near balance. It just keeps tipping. No pattern to the tipping (like one blade was much heaver).
Does any one have an idea to balance a snow blower impeller?

Searay45db

Equipment
G1800
Sep 22, 2014
Philadelphia
Can you post a pic? I have worked on mine before and never rebalanced as its a beast and because you are not putting the same amount of snow in each blade.

If you were running water, ok, but this is snow, and it's not a consistent material. Have you spun this to see what happens?

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
You will need a static balancer if you want to have it close. You can get in the ball park by making a shaft that the impeller will just slide on. Put the shaft level in a vise , slide the impeller on the shaft and the heavy side will of course turn to the bottom.

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I have not tried to spin it. I need to pick up the new bearings this weekend. I do know that each impeller blade is about 1/2" to short. When I can test ft the impeller with the new bearing into the housing will be able to get an accurate measurment for length. Later in the day after I posted my question I used my lawnmower blade balancer and put a small digital scale beneath the blades (one at a time). I still needed to help to keep the impeller from tipping. I measured the weight of each blade end and came up with one was 100 grams lighter than my patched one. The other was 30 grams lighter than my patched blade. Still because I needed to keep my hands under the blades to keep them from tipping I am not sure my data is accurate.

Attachments

Searay45db

Equipment
G1800
Sep 22, 2014
Philadelphia
I have not tried to spin it. I need to pick up the new bearings this weekend. I do know that each impeller blade is about 1/2" to short. When I can test ft the impeller with the new bearing into the housing will be able to get an accurate measurment for length. Later in the day after I posted my question I used my lawnmower blade balancer and put a small digital scale beneath the blades (one at a time). I still needed to help to keep the impeller from tipping. I measured the weight of each blade end and came up with one was 100 grams lighter than my patched one. The other was 30 grams lighter than my patched blade. Still because I needed to keep my hands under the blades to keep them from tipping I am not sure my data is accurate.

Ok, I see what you did. Yes, you can use a shaft. The bearing is generic. But if your 1/2" too short, is it on just one blade or all? Are you adding steel to the short blade?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
You need 3 scales.
I made a balancer at work, using bearings and a shaft to balance large mower blades. I first had to prove it worked by being able to duplicate it repeatedly. By removing blade and flipping it. It was consistent. It worked well.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One trick thing to do to the blower blades is to bolt on a strip of belt rubber to the blades that will rub the blower frame, keeps rocks from getting stuck as easy and it will improve blower ability and aid with slushy snow blowing! ;)

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
You need 3 scales.
I made a balancer at work, using bearings and a shaft to balance large mower blades. I first had to prove it worked by being able to duplicate it repeatedly. By removing blade and flipping it. It was consistent. It worked well.
Can you tell me a little more about how to make a balancer?

Wolfman. ---I am planning to weld steel to the ends of all 3 impellers to get the gap back to about 1/4" then was planning on adding rubber wipers to fill the rest of the gap. Do you think 1/4" is to close for the steel to steel gap?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
You should be able to balance it when installed in the housing. New bearings should let heavy end fall to lowest point. If a shaft passes right through, setting shaft on two flat dead level straight edges will find heavy spot too. Look up marine propeller balancing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
. Do you think 1/4" is to close for the steel to steel gap?
Not at all, closer the better as long as it doesn't hit, the tighter the clearance the less likely hood that a rock can get wedged in the gap. ;)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Tighter the gap the better it will blow too.

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
You should be able to balance it when installed in the housing. New bearings should let heavy end fall to lowest point. If a shaft passes right through, setting shaft on two flat dead level straight edges will find heavy spot too. Look up marine propeller balancing.
I don't think I can balance it in the blower because the shaft it runs on turns the auger gear box. The box has quite a bit of drag. I will research marine propeller balancing.

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Look up marine propeller balancing.
OK now I have a plan. Build a u shaped bracket from flat stock. V shapped tops with roller bearings. Thanks so much--- I needed to see the props being balanced !

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Here is the balancer. I seems to work great. Funny thing is I was actually very close to balance with using my lawn mower blade balancer. With this I can get it perfect. Now I need to add about 1/2" to the end of each blade that has been ground off from the rocks the previous owner tried to crush. Then I will make a gig to grind them all to exact length. Then I will balance the blade by welding small pieces of metal to the back of the blades. I had the small bearings for the end of the balancer, they are blade guide bearings for my band saw.

Attachments

Searay45db

Equipment
G1800
Sep 22, 2014
Philadelphia
Here is the balancer. I seems to work great. Funny thing is I was actually very close to balance with using my lawn mower blade balancer. With this I can get it perfect. Now I need to add about 1/2" to the end of each blade that has been ground off from the rocks the previous owner tried to crush. Then I will make a gig to grind them all to exact length. Then I will balance the blade by welding small pieces of metal to the back of the blades. I had the small bearings for the end of the balancer, they are blade guide bearings for my band saw.
Ok, so you know how we do it in the Marine Industry? Notice my name...that's one of three boats, or as my wife says, only an idiot has three boats. I'm gonna miss her,,,

We use a stick and nail. Not kidding. You want a nail at the end of a stick, like a broom handle. You put it next to something stable on your jig since you don't have a rudder. Rotate it. You should be equal distance at all three positions.

It makes you want to buy a boat, doesn't it, lol.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Boat= Break Out Another Thousand

Tractor=...Same thing... just not as cool naming! :D
And while she may think your tractor's Sexy, it's hard to get her to lounge around on it in a bikini!

SpoKorn

Equipment
B7100 and B2550 snowblower
Nov 29, 2018
Spokane, WA
I have the same problem, a bent impeller. I have not looked at the manual yet but are these things hard to remove?

I plan to bend what I can and also use the rubber (truck mud flaps cut to size) attachments.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I have used the stick on automotive wheel weights for years for impeller balancing. Allows for easy yearly adjustments and I never lost one. Of course stick them on the back side if the scoop.