L185F Transmission Fluid

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I am planning on changing the fliud in the transmission of the L185F Gear Drive tractor that I have recently purchased. I have gotten a new suction screen as has been recommended, along with new o-ring, bolts and such to make it easier when doing this.

I thought I was all set, went to the dealer to pick up parts and the "proper" fluid. I assumed they would recommend Kubota oils and that it would be the GEAR (SAE 80) oil. Well they recommended the UDT. I stated several times that this is an old tractor with gear drive and that the fluid recommended was GEAR oil but the man behing the counter stated that "almost all" have swapped over to UDT. Seemed starge to me but I went with the UDT purchase but have not installed it yet. Also seems strange that Kubota has gear oil on their website if they recommend UDT over gear oil.

I just don't want to pour $$$ of UDT into the transmission only to find that it really should be gear oil. I have tried to find the answer by searhing through the forums here, saw the question asked a few times but never answered. Thought I would try and see what your thoughts are.

I guess I will also start researh on SAE 80 versus UDT but from my experience Hydraulic fluid is thinner viscosity than gear oil.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Do you have a Walmart close? Lots of us here use Walmart Super Tech tractor fluid, I do in mine since I have loader. Much cheaper than Kubota.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Russell,

It has been a while since I read the articles or watched the videos that Vic put on this website; but he recommends udt fluid, and he got his at Walmart.

When I first got my L175 tractor going a few years ago I drained the combination of rainwater and who-knows-what milky oil and refilled with Hy-Trans from one of the local farm stores.

I have put a couple of hundred hours on it as a lawnmower (not very many this year) and have had no problems. I have also ran it for several years in my Allis Chalmers WD.

Robert

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thank you for the replies. I have already purchased the UDT and will change it out when I get the chance.

Thank you for all of the advice and repiles.

Russell