Electrical Gurus-Help!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It's all back together and works great, Thanks to all of you who assisted me with this.
I'm just been puttering with it maybe 15-30 minutes at a time, trying to get over this cold. A couple things I had to modify- the shaft on the new switch is about a 1/4" longer, and it was easier to drill a clearance hole in the end of the lathe switch operating shaft, rather than cut off the switch shaft. Also, I found that the lathe switch rod has a stop to prevent it from moving away from the switch, (towards the tailstock) but no stop to prevent it from moving towards the switch. (towards the headstock) This probably contributed to the failure of the original switch, so I turned a small brass ring, added a couple set screws, and made a stop for that direction also.
Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
It's all back together and works great, Thanks to all of you who assisted me with this.
I'm just been puttering with it maybe 15-30 minutes at a time, trying to get over this cold. A couple things I had to modify- the shaft on the new switch is about a 1/4" longer, and it was easier to drill a clearance hole in the end of the lathe switch operating shaft, rather than cut off the switch shaft. Also, I found that the lathe switch rod has a stop to prevent it from moving away from the switch, (towards the tailstock) but no stop to prevent it from moving towards the switch. (towards the headstock) This probably contributed to the failure of the original switch, so I turned a small brass ring, added a couple set screws, and made a stop for that direction also.
Thanks again for your help.
I was having a similar thought. Electrically, the switch is way bigger than it needs to be. With some mechanical protection, it will probably last a long time.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bill, I always watch your posts and I got to thinking....why don't you start a thread like "Daily Chuckle" but oriented to machine practices, procedures, safety, whys and what fors. There are others on the forum that can contribute to that skill also...just a thought.

I have a lathe I seldom use because I really don't know how. Kind of like changing a baby's diaper, I can get it done but it may not look right!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Len, I have thought a lot about that sort of a thread. One of my duties at work was to instruct technicians in our group in machining practices, safety, setups, materials, measurement, and such. I had a 16 hr class with about 200 pages of handouts as the basic course. When I retired, I donated all my teaching materials, handouts, and textbooks to a local high school whose industrial arts department specialized in manual & CNC machining.
I think I have a lot to pass on, and would enjoy doing so, but this caregiver thing just makes it near impossible. My time is not my own, and on the rare occasion when I have time, I try to catch up on my own work. The caregiver thing just saps time, money, motivation, and energy.
What I have considered as an alternative is to search for existing videos on basic machining that are correct & informative, and post links to them. I'm sure there are some good instructional vids out there, but I also know there is some real crap out there also.
I will begin searching when I have time.
In the meantime, if anyone has a part they need to make and are unsure how best to proceed, or how to setup up an operation, or any machining question, please feel free to contact me.

Bill

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Lil Foot I truly understand the care giver thing, it is a hard row to hoe no doubt. That, however, just proves what kind of guy you are. Stand up guys are getting few and far between in this world any more, and the kids know everything. It seems like once they understand they dont, they are willing to listen to someone that has something to give. Stay strong my friend