Land plane/leveler help

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Posted about my driveway earlier this week and after much research (thanks to the great guys on this forum) I decided on land plane instead of box blade for my 200 yard gravel driveway. Now....

Any suggestions on the brand? scarifiers? length? Using a L4400 to attach it to.

The EA, ABI attachments and Jbar look nice. Does anyone have any advice on these or others?

Thanks in advance and thanks to all that introduced me to the land plane earlier this week.

ADDED BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS TO PAGE 2

Last edited:

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I think your tractor is very similar in size to mine. I just bought the Land Pride GS1572. They make a heavier one that is supposed to also work with my tractor, but it seems to work very well for me. It does have scarifier shanks that are nice if you need to rip down, but I haven't really needed them for my gravel (and it was pretty packed in when I first used it). The blades are adjustable if you want to set them up to make a crown. How wide is your road? I got the 72" because my driveway is 12' wide. I can make a pass down the right and back on the other side and repeat. If you have a wider drive, you may want to get a wider one (I think they have a 7' in the GS15).

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I think your tractor is very similar in size to mine. I just bought the Land Pride GS1572. They make a heavier one that is supposed to also work with my tractor, but it seems to work very well for me. It does have scarifier shanks that are nice if you need to rip down, but I haven't really needed them for my gravel (and it was pretty packed in when I first used it). The blades are adjustable if you want to set them up to make a crown. How wide is your road? I got the 72" because my driveway is 12' wide. I can make a pass down the right and back on the other side and repeat. If you have a wider drive, you may want to get a wider one (I think they have a 7' in the GS15).
It is probably 10-12 feet once recaptured. Right now about 7-8 feet of gravel not overgrown by grasses.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I don’t like the J Bar because only one blade is angled as Wolfman told me when I was looking you want both angled for soil or rock movement and straight blades will bounce. I have a 6’ from ag supply looks just like the land pride but 550 less and works great both blades angled and no bounces in medium range tractor is a L3800hst

cjoffutt

Oct 14, 2019
Indiana
I have a Woods GSM84P. It's extremely well made and has some serious weight to it. ~750#.

While the 84" would be to wide for your use, they do have a 72" version. Fully adjustable blade depth, can set to crown it I need to. Has plenty of ripper shanks if I need them (haven't yet, but will come spring time).

I went with it over the other local stores version due to the heavier weight of the Woods and the much more stout 3pt mount.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
While I think that all the LPGS (land plane grading scraper)work well, weight as well as length are usually your friend when it comes to these implements. I also agree that angled blades work better for road maintenance.

I personally would go with a 72" unit for your tractor and as long and heavy as you can afford.

Again, they all seem to work well, never heard of any "real" complaints, but they are not all built the same and some simply work better than others.

Good luck with your decision.;)

Attachments

KHW59

Equipment
L-3901 Brushhog, Finish mower, road planner, box blade.
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
Posted about my driveway earlier this week and after much research (thanks to the great guys on this forum) I decided on land plane instead of box blade for my 200 yard gravel driveway. Now....

Any suggestions on the brand? scarifiers? length? Using a L4400 to attach it to.

The EA, ABI attachments and Jbar look nice. Does anyone have any advice on these or others?

Thanks in advance and thanks to all that introduced me to the land plane earlier this week.
I have a GS1560 I pull with my L3901. I went with the 60" as I only wanted one slightly wider than the tractor.
The set up the blades I on it to stick out about ¼" below the skid plate.
This how I set up the orientation for different surfaces.
Dirt-unimproved I start with the rear blade lower than the front to form it initially then level the blades to finish.
Red clay ball infields-Level
Gravel-Front blade is slightly lower than the back. This seems to leave a nicer surface and fill in the holes and groves easier. Scarify if compacted.
Sand-just the back blade engaged.
Limerock-Blades level and scarifier used.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Thanks for all the info.

Ended up getting the Land Pride GS1572 this morning.Had it in stock and took it home. Ill try to remember to post some before/after photos.