I wonder about new Kubota tractors...

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Government has been involved in vehicle industry for a very long time. Cars are safer, cleaner and more efficient because of regulation. There are regulations around noise levels, wheelbase, warranties, lemon laws, parts accessibility among others. Manufacturers would never do this on their own since unless they all did it, like install seat belts for example, there would be a price advantage to less safe cars. Regulations level the playing field and we all benefit from safer.
As for subsidising industry with tax breaks this is exactly how industries start. Nuclear, tech, oil all start or have expansions subsidised by government. Look at farming or biodeisel which relies on many billions in subsidies. The government which represents the people (sometimes lol) decides that a viable farming industry is important to the country. They also see that whether we like it or not, EVs and alternative energy is a massive industry which will grow dramatically. The government encourages this to ensure long term economic growth and a cleaner environment.
If you think that the efficient market would not produce products that the people want without the heavy hand of government, you simply do not know how free enterprise works.

If you believe that cars are safer, cleaner, and more efficient only because of government regulations, see above.

SDT

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I absolutely believe cars are safer cleaner and more efficient because of regulation. Cars are safer and cleaner because they had to be and it would be naive to think manufacturers would add these expensive things on their own. That said cars aren't better made or work better because of regulation, that is the magic of captalism that does that.
Government creates the environment manufacturers work within. Safety regulations have saved countless lives. Do I think some regulations are foolish? Yes I do but that doesn't make them all so. I am quite happy that my local garage no longer throws its waste oil in the river.
I have been in senior management for a few decades, I know how companies work and I am a capitalist but I also know that we need regulations to ensure that the narrow interests of a company do not harm the country as a whole. For example we can't simply dump untreated waste into rivers or the air although it would be much cheaper to do so.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I absolutely believe cars are safer cleaner and more efficient because of regulation. Cars are safer and cleaner because they had to be and it would be naive to think manufacturers would add these expensive things on their own. That said cars aren't better made or work better because of regulation, that is the magic of captalism that does that.
Government creates the environment manufacturers work within. Safety regulations have saved countless lives. Do I think some regulations are foolish? Yes I do but that doesn't make them all so. I am quite happy that my local garage no longer throws its waste oil in the river.
I have been in senior management for a few decades, I know how companies work and I am a capitalist but I also know that we need regulations to ensure that the narrow interests of a company do not harm the country as a whole. For example we can't simply dump untreated waste into rivers or the air although it would be much cheaper to do so.
Agreed. Poorly written regulations are generally written by our elected officials. But if we had none it would be worse. Now if we could only elect smarter less corruptible officials....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
..... For example we can't simply dump untreated waste into rivers or the air although it would be much cheaper to do so.
In the short-run.... ask Flint, MI about that....

Dexter

Equipment
L4701
Aug 27, 2016
Bay City, WI
Wisconsin recently tried to pass a “lemon law” for new implements of husbandry, Not sure how it started but I see the lobbying efforts from the dealers and manufacturers is no and the farmers are yes, The Bill was voted out of committee but has not been scheduled for vote on the floor, I would assume it is not going to move forward at this point. Do any other states have similar legislation.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2019/related/proposals/sb573
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2019/proposals/sb573

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Agreed. Poorly written regulations are generally written by our elected officials. But if we had none it would be worse. Now if we could only elect smarter less corruptible officials....
exactly. We need them but we need good ones.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Dumb people don't elect smart officials.
The Gov has their best interest at heart, not yours.
Seatbelt laws suck.

I'm still voting for exhaust pipe up EPA's rear and hold it to the mat.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Trust me, if enough people wanted clean, efficient and safe cars or, (pick a product with the features that you prefer), the free enterprise system would produce it with or without government regulations. Such products might not appear exactly when you prefer but they would appear if physically possible. Thinking otherwise demonstrates ignorance of how free enterprise works. The folks who want such features would pay accordingly, while those who choose to not pay for such features would not do so. I prefer choice. Each of us can then pay as much as we believe such features are worth.

What you appear to be advocating is for government to force everyone to pay for the development and manufacturing costs for the features that you prefer, whether they wish to do so or otherwise.

SDT

Last edited:

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
It would be naive to think we would have clean air and waters, safe medicine, workplace safety, safe cars and highways, airplanes etc without regulation. I am all for free enterprise but know its limitations. Companies, as they should, work in their own self interest. This self interest should work within a framework to ensure the national interest is not compromised. This is what we have today and it works.
Regardless we are way off topic again so I will leave it at this.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
It would be naive to think we would have clean air and waters, safe medicine, workplace safety, safe cars and highways, airplanes etc without regulation. I am all for free enterprise but know its limitations. Companies, as they should, work in their own self interest. This self interest should work within a framework to ensure the national interest is not compromised. This is what we have today and it works.
Regardless we are way off topic again so I will leave it at this.
I will agree to disagree with much (not all) of what you claim.

SDT

Last edited:

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I will agree to disagree with much (not all) of what you claim.

SDT
Good! I get nervous when people agree with me. I know enough to know how much more there is to know. Disagreement is fine, essential even. Respectful disagreement is something that seems to be in decline.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I put up with my 2 year old L3301's regen BS, because I have to, and I otherwise like having a new tractor. But my 2007 Mack powered 30 ton boom truck, what I make my living with, is pre emissions (and trouble free, even with LOTS of idling) and for sure worth more on the used market because of that. Every time I get the itch to buy a new rig I have to remind myself why I should keep what I have now!