Strongest pulling configuration

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
Working on this stump. I have been patiently chipping away at this. Just curios what others have experienced for this type of situation. This is besides the obvious, like get a bigger tractor.

Attachments

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I am no expert but I would keep just chipping away at it. You are asking a lot from your equipment. Even a small stump is a lot and that is a big one. I don't think you are going to get it out until it is in smaller chunks.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Some more pictures sure would help us to help you. And what is your goal? I would be mighty careful about pulling on the front end loader. Even turning the tractor around would give you more traction with the tires. Also you should be getting some rain in the next couple of days. Let the rain wash more of the dirt off. It will make a big difference.

Also on you tube there is a video of a man using a rope and pulleys to move stumps with a very small tractor. Look up Tom Hoffman videos.

Last edited:

Kevin1

Equipment
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
I have been taking it very slowly. I use a hand pick to chip away the dirt and cut roots as i progress. The bucket has a piranha bar and I use that to scrape away dirt and small roots. You think the chain hooked to a trailer hitch would be a better way to go?

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have been taking it very slowly. I use a hand pick to chip away the dirt and cut roots as i progress. The bucket has a piranha bar and I use that to scrape away dirt and small roots. You think the chain hooked to a trailer hitch would be a better way to go?
Hooking to the draw bar is much safer and it will give you the most power. Use a clevis (shackle) to attach the chain or snatch strap to the tractor. There is a difference between a tow strap and a snatch strap. Use the snatch strap as it is made to stretch and then contract adding a little extra to the pull. A tow strap will not do this and of course the snatch strap cost more.

There are also ways to build a triangle frame that is set on the ground and used to lift and move a heavy object.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pccuAUNwfw8

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You get a bit crooked and yank on it, you'll tweak your loader. Turn around and use the drawbar, that is for pulling, not your bucket. Of course your machine is pint size compared to the stump so small pieces please. I couldn't pull that with my big M9's either, I wouldn't even attempt it. I'd 'worry' it away in smaller pieces as well.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Working on this stump. I have been patiently chipping away at this. Just curios what others have experienced for this type of situation. This is besides the obvious, like get a bigger tractor.
Tractors pull much more from the drawbar in the forward direction than from anything in the reverse direction.

Cannot tell definitively from your photo but the stump looks too big for your tractor. Cut it into smaller pieces.

SDT

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
If you have a pressure washer use it to get the dirt out. I then use a battery operated reciprocal saw (Sawzall) to cut away at it. Take out chunks. The I use the tractor to move the chunks.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We have had decent luck, digging out one side of the stump and then pulling it out the rest of the way with a chain hooked to the drawbar. Understand these have been small stumps and when they started getting larger we had the neighbor come in with his TLB and he removed the bigger ones.

Attachments

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Id take a chainsaw to that and be done with it. Or just burn it out right there. Also for pulling weight thats really too much for the tractor I would pull from the back of the tractor, not the bucket. Based on the one picture though, that stump is too much for that little BX. (Looks like a bx to me) The stump likely weights more than the tractor. Additional picture could confirm that. I wouldnt spend days on such a thing though. Slice it up and move it in pieces, or burn it right there. Thats my 2 pennies

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
first... using a chain that way could decapitate you !!
as for getting rid of the stump, that's what diesel and matches are for

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
first... using a chain that way could decapitate you !!
as for getting rid of the stump, that's what diesel and matches are for
Nailed it! That chain comes loose, your neck is it's next stop. Please don't do that, use the draw bar. And, make the chain as short at possible.
I've pulled stumps smaller than that with a 200hp weed green 4x4 and still had to pull it out in chunks. Burning it down if possible and cleaning up afterwards is best. If possible, use a ho and dig it out completely. BE SAFE!

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I just watched an ad for a Diablo pruning saw blade for a sawsall. Cutting into the dirt is not suppose to damage it. Much safer then a chainsaw.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
I moved a couple bigger than that with my BX when Hurricane Michael came through. Several excellent suggestions already regarding using the tow bar, and the sawzall. The dirt will ruin your chainsaw too quickly.

It appears from the picture this is a large root ball from a tree that fell over which is what I had. You're not likely to move it puling the way you are. I had better luck "rolling" the root ball along the root axis. If you can get to the side and sort of loop the chains in and around the exposed roots and hook at the bottom of the opposite side, your pulling leverage is more up and apt to break it loose. Basically the same concept as running a chain over a wheel to pull fence posts.

Once broke loose, I then used the FEL to roll them. It took quite a bit of finesse to keep it going in the right direction, but I ended up rolling both about 150 ft to where I could then burn them.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Get yourself a "stone boat". Once the stump is trimmed to a manageable size, roll it onto the stone boat chained to your hitch and pull away. A red neck "stone boat" can be found at your local junk yard: Pick out the flattest, sturdiest old car hood, turn it upside down and roll that stump onto it. Hook your tow chains to the hood and pull away. They also make for a lot less mess to your yard. :D

Kevin1

Equipment
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
If you have a pressure washer use it to get the dirt out. I then use a battery operated reciprocal saw (Sawzall) to cut away at it. Take out chunks. The I use the tractor to move the chunks.
Great idea, had someone on another forum suggest the sawzall with a pruning blade. Thanks.