Drilling holes in ROPS a bad idea - safety / warranty

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Not to kick this bees nest but ANY modification includes bolting things to it.

I am not a lawyer or a materials science expert, however a very simple example is a light mounted directly to the ROPS getting hung up on something and pulling the tractor over. It wouldn't happen on a big machine, but a BX you can tip over by hand. When the legalese states "NO MODIFICATIONS" you will find the lawyers mean no modifications. Simply clamping the circumference creates a weak point in an assembly.

In my case, on a B2650 with a ROPS built for a mountain tumble I am not worried about the drilled/pem-nutted 1/4 20 holding the backup light on. Certainly no more than I would worry about the effects of a clamp. If you are the type to need to do it 6 times and end up with swiss cheese, a clamp would be best.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
For attachment to a ROPS consider today's magnets rather than hole drilling..

For less than $13 you can have two magnets with hundreds of pounds (270#) of attraction to steel.

https://www.amazon.com/DIYMAG-Power...=1576942625&sprefix=magnet+for,aps,169&sr=8-8

Getting them off in the future will be the challenge :)

Dave
Ditto Dave. I just received a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKWCVTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not yet installed the lights, but when I tested the magnet on the ROPS, all i can say is holy crap. These lights won't be falling off the ROPS anytime soon. I struggled to get the magnets off of the ROPS, and these are are only about 1.5" diameter/150 pound magnetic force.

Now to get them wired up. Sounds like a Christmas day task.

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Haven't tried those specific magnets, but my experience with really strong magents is that despite being impressively powerful in opposition to the metal, all magnets I've encountered eventually drift when subjected to heavy, constant vibration on a smooth, glossy surface so you'll find yourself frequently having to reposition them until they eventually scratch enough of that pretty paint away to get a good bite into the metal. Then... Only occasionally.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Good point Sodark.

We'll see what happens. Gonna give the magnets a try first.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You guys wouldn't want to see what I've done to ROPS. But wait, after Skeets passes on I might post some pictures. That would resurrect him!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Ditto Dave. I just received a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKWCVTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not yet installed the lights, but when I tested the magnet on the ROPS, all i can say is holy crap. These lights won't be falling off the ROPS anytime soon. I struggled to get the magnets off of the ROPS, and these are are only about 1.5" diameter/150 pound magnetic force.

Now to get them wired up. Sounds like a Christmas day task.
My inclination, if using the magnets, would be to put something thin between the magnet and ROPS. Perhaps 6 mil poly.

I am just concerned that the magnet material may lead to rust on the ROPS over time.

In any event dont just use the magnet and never check what is happening beneath it.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
We need a blizzard that covers a wide area! You guys are over thinking this.

I'm going to have to put everything in a Trust, then let it all sell after my demise to avoid pointing fingers and law suits, and wanting me to replace and pay for damages.

I've got a Deutz D6206 with a factory ROPS and canopy. I'm sure it has some rust here and there, but I've never really inspected it, or even worried about it. It's been kept in a barn for the years I've owned it and the dealer where I got it never indicated there should be a problem. I'd imagine if there is oxidation on the outside there has to be some on the inside!

Now the 730 Case has a canopy copied off the Deutz, but is held up by 1 1/2" square tubing. I sure hope no one mistakes that for a ROPS. That model didn't have ROPS. That tractor was built when people were responsible for their mistakes, and suffered the consequences if they made them. Their family members, neighbors and logical thinking were relied on for thinking about safety.

(But we've got the government to tell us what's safe and what's not when operating a machine! They don't want us hurt. Now, I could see the government's concern if 45 million farmers were killed in the last 50 years. Oh wait, that's how many abortions they permitted, not farmers killed.)

What if you have a modern Kubota with folding ROPS and that rubber plug is missing when the top is folded? Would that be cause for replacement also?

Oh, I have to go make another pot of coffee.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm always shaking my head that my BX23S HAS to have ROPS but NONE of the ATVs sold do !
I've yet to roll over any of the 9 tractors here on my 1 acre patch so come the New Year, the ROPS will be coming off.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I'm always shaking my head that my BX23S HAS to have ROPS but NONE of the ATVs sold do !
I've yet to roll over any of the 9 tractors here on my 1 acre patch so come the New Year, the ROPS will be coming off.
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/aginjury/default.html

Remove the damn things. That make perfect sense. Why waste a perfectly good chance to kill yourself. Accidents happen and you never know when. If you have not had the experience of a friend or family killed by a tractor good for you but to make such statements even if they are in jest, it is irresponsible.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I've had 3 friends killed by ATVs, NONE from tractors in 6 decades. Considering the 1,000s of acres they've plowed.. the farmers are safer than 'offroaders'.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
We need a blizzard that covers a wide area! You guys are over thinking this.

I'm going to have to put everything in a Trust, then let it all sell after my demise to avoid pointing fingers and law suits, and wanting me to replace and pay for damages.

I've got a Deutz D6206 with a factory ROPS and canopy. I'm sure it has some rust here and there, but I've never really inspected it, or even worried about it. It's been kept in a barn for the years I've owned it and the dealer where I got it never indicated there should be a problem. I'd imagine if there is oxidation on the outside there has to be some on the inside!

Now the 730 Case has a canopy copied off the Deutz, but is held up by 1 1/2" square tubing. I sure hope no one mistakes that for a ROPS. That model didn't have ROPS. That tractor was built when people were responsible for their mistakes, and suffered the consequences if they made them. Their family members, neighbors and logical thinking were relied on for thinking about safety.

(But we've got the government to tell us what's safe and what's not when operating a machine! They don't want us hurt. Now, I could see the government's concern if 45 million farmers were killed in the last 50 years. Oh wait, that's how many abortions they permitted, not farmers killed.)

What if you have a modern Kubota with folding ROPS and that rubber plug is missing when the top is folded? Would that be cause for replacement also?

Oh, I have to go make another pot of coffee.
You can do what you want to your stuff. You spent the money, you do with it what you want whether it is start it on fire, roll it down a hill, or park it in your front lawn.

I believe what the point being made here is that modifying safety equipment that is explicitly stated not to modify by the manufacture will have a cost at resale (to a dealer) because of liability concerns from all parties.

If you aren't selling the equipment and you want to modify your ROPs then do it at your own risk. Maybe you roll the tractor and the ROPs still works as intended and you get to come online and brag about it. But if it doesn't then you have no assistance you can seek outside of your own insurance for the expense of hospital bills.

Stuff happens in life and even if you do everything in your power to operate safely things outside of your control could leave you relying on the safety equipment that is the last resort.

I'm not saying that I am perfect and always operate everything I own safely (for that matter I hardly ever where eye protection outside of metal working when I am at home) or even always have the ROPs up on my unit. Nor do I just go full bore because the safety equipment will protect me.

The government isn't going to come and REPO your tractor if the ROPs is modified, but if you loan it to your neighbor, or you let your kid use it and the ROPs fails the liability could be dropped (at least partially) in your lap.

Do what you think is best for your lifestyle but it is hard to make a case to drill holes when a U-Bolt will work as well for a couple dollars more, and if you eventually sell to a private party I would hope you at least mention that the ROPs have been modified so they can make an informed decision when purchasing the unit from you.

Sparky73

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2018 B2650HSD
Apr 28, 2018
WA
If the rear axle of an ATV comes off the ground, will it immediately roll over on top of the rider? Not unless it's a vintage 3 wheeler. If your BX23S had front suspension, I might agree with you but the fact you haven't rolled it "yet" is a fool's reason to remove the ROPS. All it takes is a low spot or hole to roll it.

I've had the rear end of my B2650 get "light" on level ground with a front load and it felt like it was going to roll immediately. Lift the front end of your tractor with the loader and then feel how easily the front wheels move up/down.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I think after reading all these posts that ALL BX Tractors,
1. Should have a full roll cage installed
2. Have a full 5 point harness that will not allow the tractor to start
3. Come with Front, Rear AND side Air Bags

Placing you guys in condoms will not guarantee your safety, but if it saves just one life......

The rest of you guys, your ROPS should be fine. Rusty or not.

Happy New Year Everyone!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
NHSleddog, I think you're on point. A little bit of risk is in everything we do.

An interesting thread might be, do these folks take the same precautions with the foods they eat!

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Haven't tried those specific magnets, but my experience with really strong magents is that despite being impressively powerful in opposition to the metal, all magnets I've encountered eventually drift when subjected to heavy, constant vibration on a smooth, glossy surface so you'll find yourself frequently having to reposition them until they eventually scratch enough of that pretty paint away to get a good bite into the metal. Then... Only occasionally.
Try applying them with some epoxy like JB Weld. Worked like a charm for me on a JD ROPS I installed a couple of working flood lights on. Never moved at all, and popped off with a hammer and a good stiff putty knife.
You could do the same with a steel strap or plate to mount lights.

No holes drilled to suit the safety nazis or engineering police.

stano

Apr 17, 2015
Ontario
Hi all,

I'm considering ways to attach LED lights to my ROPS. I was watching a youtube video on mounting them via threading holes on the underside. The poster said he received a bunch of angry posts regarding drilling into the ROPS. Are two holes really going to impact the safety of the ROPS? Void the warranty?

Thanks!

No. Two holes are not going to affect the safety of the ROPS. Warranty who knows but safety no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
No. Two holes are not going to affect the safety of the ROPS. Warranty who knows but safety no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A dealer installed LEDs on the side of my ROPS. I removed the lights and traded my BX2670 with holes in the ROPS to a different dealer on my new tractor. They weren’t worried one bit about the modification.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: ... They weren’t worried one bit about the modification.

That's because USED tractors are usually sold 'as is', so they're 'off the hook' should the ROPS fail for the new buyer. Even shyster lawyers can't win in court unless 'mechanically fit - up to OEM spec' is specifically written in the 'Bill of Sale'.