small chainsaw recommendations

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have to ask, what is a tool less chain adjuster? Never seen one but then I stay away from electric saws too.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
ed- yes, Husq 440eII ('cept i don't think I got the II).

Anyway, thanks guys. I'm just going to stick with the scrench model. All my others saws are the same and that's what I'm used to. I believe the non-tooless model is a half pound lighter too. I'll take that.

Like I said, I'll see how it cuts (I have a stihl 2 in one file for it as well). I'll pick up another (better chain) or two and see how it goes. I may grab an 18" bar for it too and I'll park the Husq 455 for a bit.

Thanks again for all your comments/suggestions.

Hope I didn't come across as a newb when it comes to saws...I'm not. Been using them for 40 plus years. My first introduction to them was with a 30 lb Fleetwood. Ok maybe 25 pounds...but it felt like 40 when I was 12 or so. It had the thumb knob oiler and vibrated like hell (lots of nice blue smoke too)! Should've kept that saw.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Ok the Husky tooless chain adjuster does work really well if you want one PM me your address I'll send you one that will fit you 440 then you'll have both and can use which ever one you like best my guess is you'll keep the tooless design on it they are time savers and work as designed.

EDR

ed- yes, Husq 440eII ('cept i don't think I got the II).

Anyway, thanks guys. I'm just going to stick with the scrench model. All my others saws are the same and that's what I'm used to. I believe the non-tooless model is a half pound lighter too. I'll take that.

Like I said, I'll see how it cuts (I have a stihl 2 in one file for it as well). I'll pick up another (better chain) or two and see how it goes. I may grab an 18" bar for it too and I'll park the Husq 455 for a bit.

Thanks again for all your comments/suggestions.

Hope I didn't come across as a newb when it comes to saws...I'm not. Been using them for 40 plus years. My first introduction to them was with a 30 lb Fleetwood. Ok maybe 25 pounds...but it felt like 40 when I was 12 or so. It had the thumb knob oiler and vibrated like hell (lots of nice blue smoke too)! Should've kept that saw.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
You'all remember the homelite xL12?? Grandpa had one and I got it when he died. I decided to rebuild it one day and in the process, decided to see if I could get some more hp out of it by opening up the intake and exhaust ports I must have got it perfect because that thing would scream. Stopped by a friends house one day and he was cutting some logs. Had my xL12 in the truck and offered to help him. He had a stiel. That xL 12 would cut through a tree much faster than his stiel. 40 years later he brought me the cylinder and piston from his chainsaw and said, " fix this like you did that xL 12".

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok the Husky tooless chain adjuster does work really well if you want one PM me your address I'll send you one that will fit you 440 then you'll have both and can use which ever one you like best my guess is you'll keep the tooless design on it they are time savers and work as designed.

EDR
Really? Thanks Ed. PM sent.

Let me know what I owe you please. Nothing is free.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
quick update... I haven't had a whole lot of run time with the new husky 440. I used it for pulling out an old deck this summer. Initially, I wasn't really impressed with the saw. It wouldn't idle, bogged down easily and lacked power. I pretty much destroyed the factory chain on the deck.

I picked up some semi-chisel chains, upped the idle rpm and tore into some smaller trees last night (12-14" maples). The saw performed much better with the semi-chisel chain but still felt a bit under powered. I think it just needs some break in time and a few tanks of fuel through it.

The size/weight seems just right for some of the smaller stuff I have to cut here. Limbing is so much easier than with the larger rancher.

PS. Eric- thanks so much for the toolless chain tensioner. It's pretty slick and it worked very well.