New tractor delivery - hours

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Just curious how many hours should be on the hour meter when a new tractor is delivered.
Is it common to have a few hours on them ?
What would you except or not except ?
Thanks

Last edited:

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I would expect an hour, perhaps a bit more just for testing at the factory and moving it about during delivery to the dealer and such.

More than a couple of hours would have me asking questions.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I would expect an hour, perhaps a bit more just for testing at the factory and moving it about during delivery to the dealer and such.

More than a couple of hours would have me asking questions.
That sounds reasonable.
Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just curious how many hours should be on the hour meter when a new tractor is delivered.
Is it common to have a few hours on them ?
What would except or not except ?
Thanks
I would think something along an hour or possibly 2 hours.....

more than that it is being used, one thing to drive around the parking lot - that would place 5 minutes on a machine, and if a machine is used for a demo - and it had several hours on it, I would not really consider it "new" despite never touching earth or moving anything.

It could be a good "bargaining" chip if it had 10 or so hours on it.......;)

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I would think something a long an hour or possibly 2 hours.....

more than that it is being used, one thing to drive around the parking lot - that would place 5 minutes on a machine, and if a machine is used for a demo - and it had several hours on it, I would not really consider it "new" despite never touching earth or moving anything.

It could be a good "bargaining" chip if it had 10 or so hours on it.......;)
Sounds good.
Bargaining is over, kinda, as we have agreed on a price and Ive placed my order today. I havent actually signed anything yet but was just curious what a person would except as too many hours upon delivery. The salesman said he would look around at other dealers and at warehouse to see what is available and thats when I thought about him excepting a model that had possibly been sitting around for some time at another dealer, hence a few hours on the unit.
Thanks

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I was asking this question about the hours only because Ive never bought a brand new tractor before in my life and Im pretty excited about it.
I was thinking I would do a walk around but anything else I need to look for specifically upon delivery ?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I think mine had 4 or 5 hours on it. But it had no scratches or anything, so I didn't care.

My dealer is the type that if you go there interested in something they just hand you the keys and say go try it out.

I will admit though, if my tractor had a DPF on it, I'd be more concerned about the run time on it. Mainly how much idling has it been doing.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not specifically related to your question, but I would work a printed workshop manual (WSM) into the deal. I was too friggin’ excited to think about it...[emoji12]
Upon delivery I would definitely check engine oil, hydraulic fluid and front axle fluid levels.
Front axles seem to be low, and mine probably “burped” after an hour of operation making it a quart low of hydraulic fluid.
None are huge deals in the short term, but you’ll have a baseline.

I could see 3 or 4 hours also. I drove several B’s 2 years ago. Dealer was really good about test drives. Using a new truck as an analogy, I don’t expect it to have 2 miles on it upon delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
What RCW said about the shop manual. I bought used 2 years ago with the understanding that a shop manual would be included. They printed one out on the spot on a laser printer, must have been 2 inches thick.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd make REAL sure the salesman understood my expectations of hours, paint fade, etc. before he went looking at other dealerships. It could get complicated if he brings in something that does not suit your expectations.

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
Ive never bought a new tractor, but have bought many new trucks. I expect that vehicles have gone on test drives and will have some miles. My most recent truck was brought from another dealer. I think it had 100 miles when I got it. The 60,000 mile warranty runs out at 60,100 on the odometer. Is the Kubota warranty strictly based in years or is there an hours max?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'd make REAL sure the salesman understood my expectations of hours, paint fade, etc. before he went looking at other dealerships. It could get complicated if he brings in something that does not suit your expectations.

‘Cat brings up a great point.
Whether your expectations are reasonable or not, you and your salesman need to be on the same page. Trust me, I’m not judging your expectations. It will simply avoid BIG problems upon delivery.

We have seen several issues on OTT related to this exact scenario recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
You personally or visually confirm........
Filter changes on time. There are probably some to do with only a few hours on it.
Wheel lug bolts will need tightened up SEVERAL times.
Keep a careful eye on the rest of bolts and nuts on the tractor.
Get that work shop manual for sure. Someone is going to need it sooner or later to work on it. Many Kubota shops do not have access to them like one would think it seems. Also has info not found in the owners manual.
Check ALL the fluids before you use it. Both Axles, power steering, transmission, engine, radiator and overflow, etc. preferably at the dealership or when they deliver it.
Check ALL the fluids at least twice after you run it a couple hours. Look for leaks for quite some time.
Check all the lights and blinkers.
Check tire pressure.
INSURANCE.

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thank you all very much for all this great help.
You have given me much to think about.
I feel like Im better prepared now.
Thanks again.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
My L3901 HST was delivered with 2.1 hours on the meter. In hind sight I would guess 3/4 hr. hours were put on the tractor during the service tech's owner familiarization, demonstration and practice of the removal and installation of the FEL and BH.

In 1974 I ordered 1/2 ton 4x4 Chevy truck that I refused delivery of when it had 200 plus miles on it, scratches in the bed, mud in the framework and front right quarter panel seams/door spacing did not match the other side. The invoice paperwork showed dealer delivery 3 weeks before I was called that it had arrived. The salesman tried to tell me it was driven from another dealer but the invoice showed the trucking company delivery and date to this dealer not another. The dealership owner appeared very upset that this happened and tried to make a deal but I walked. No one seemed to know where my new vehicle had been or how it was driven or if it was wrecked. Never did business or recommended that dealer, there not in business today.

Midwest

Apr 4, 2018
Missouri
I would not be concerned with buying a new tractor that had 5 or less hours if it still looked new (no rust, paint fade, missing decals etc). Like many others have pointed out there is time with logistics at the warehouse with loading & unloading (if the unit is a complete drive-off). Installing/removing the loader, PDI procedure, moving around the dealer's lot and any test drives that occur while on dealers lot. With that said, if the unit comes crated I would expect 3 or less hours.

The warranty does not start until it is registered as being sold to you. So even if the tractor is "aged" the warranty does not start until purchased. The base warranty covers up to 1500hrs so IMO 5 hours is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you all very much for all this great help.
You have given me much to think about.
I feel like Im better prepared now.
Thanks again.
Mudball,
Update your profile to reflect you new tractor, can help later when asking questions and forgetting to include the model, top left on the menu bar User CP. ;)

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
when I ordered my tractor I told sales guy/owner that I did not one of his old stock units that sat on a lot for a year and is faded by the florida sun. arrived at dealer ship and found they had put the BH on a tractor with 19hours, seat and gas cap was faded, dash had signs of moisture behind it. refused to except, waited for 2 hours for the techs to struggle building a new machine that arrived in a crate that morning and put sub frame on ETC..

when you spend money on a NEW machine it should be a NEW machine!!!! not a year old new machine. Messicks did a video a while ago about year models vs sales dates to determine age at resale....I think thats udder BS, birth date is a birth date, a tractor that sits on a lot for 12 months and fries in the sun is no longer a new machine... same as crated machine!!!!

Chrys87

Equipment
L3901
Jun 21, 2016
FL
Mine had 1.6 hrs and a full tank of diesel when it arrived at my house. 1.4 when I signed the paperwork