What's cookin' boys?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
14lbs of country ribs today. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Got the kids coming for dinner tonight ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

20200830_112935.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I worked on a ranch that was 13000 acres at one time. No more it is now several subdivisions. But the owner allowed his friends to hunt there. However there was a fee. The fee was you had to share whatever you took from the ranch with each other. So when it was cool and on the appointed day every one showed up with something to share with the group. Deep fryers, smokers, fry pans and plain fires were used to cook on. You never saw such a feast. Deer, hogs,turtle, snake, gator, dove,turkey and anything else eatable was prepped and shared by each person. There are so many different ways to do just the deer meat. Including the summer sausages and other bologna. Roots, berries, and the best heart of palm were also shared. All from the ranch. Then there was corn and beans, home made breads, etc from other places.

This was a feast for kings. Watching this thread takes me back to that meal.

I wish we all lived near enough to share these meals in such a trying time in our country.

Thanks for sharing. I am no cook so I can not share any good looking recipes.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I remember you posting about the wing sauce. Always meant to ask if you would post a generic version of your sauce (not asking for your actual recipe.). I've wanted to make my own.
Ford - - - for you (and everyone else on the interwebs) I would... :unsure:

I know Buffalo wings are nation/world-wide now. There's pre-made buffalo sauce everywhere.

I got tired of restaurants just using a buffalo sauce and butter for wings. Less butter = hotter, more butter = mild. Bland..... Don't get me wrong, I like many commercial sauces. But after 40 years.....

I'm also a buffalo wing purist....I don't want honey/garlic, BBQ, cantonese, thai, smoked, etc.

My son was about 8 or 10. I/we made wing sauce at home one winter afternoon.

Used some commercial buffalo, BBQ, and homemade tomato sauces. Adjusted heat such that we called it "medium," but many would say "HOT."

It was PERFECT! Unfortunately, I didn't write anything down.....๐Ÿ˜ซ

It literally took another 5 years to get back to that original success....stupid me. I wrote everything down and refined it as we went along. I can make the BBQ tomato sauce flavors I want now....

Haven't perfected buffalo yet, so I still use a commercial sauce as a base.

Essentially there's a generic recipe in here, and I'm betting you can run with that.....๐Ÿ‘

My son is now 21 and an aspiring Medical Doctor. He still likes his "own" Buffalo Chicken Wing Sauce....

My next mission is a Texas Hot Sauce for hot dogs.....got that pretty close too, but it still needs some tweaks. :unsure:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

I know Buffalo wings are nation/world-wide now. There's pre-made buffalo sauce everywhere.

I got tired of restaurants just using a buffalo sauce and butter for wings. Less butter = hotter, more butter = mild. Bland..... Don't get me wrong, I like many commercial sauces. But after 40 years.....

I'm also a buffalo wing purist....I don't want honey/garlic, BBQ, cantonese, thai, smoked, etc.

Used some commercial buffalo, BBQ, and homemade tomato sauces. Adjusted heat such that we called it "medium," but many would say "HOT."

It literally took another 5 years to get back to that original success....stupid me. I wrote everything down and refined it as we went along. I can make the BBQ tomato sauce flavors I want now....

Essentially there's a generic recipe in here, and I'm betting you can run with that.....๐Ÿ‘

My son is now 21 and an aspiring Medical Doctor. He still likes his "own" Buffalo Chicken Wing Sauce....

My next mission is a Texas Hot Sauce for hot dogs.....got that pretty close too, but it still needs some tweaks. :unsure:
My wife and i get bags of Rotisserie flavored wings from Sam's club. We can't do the super spicy. And found that these are perfect for us. Really good flavor, but little heat.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You never saw such a feast. Deer, hogs,turtle, snake, gator, dove,turkey and anything else eatable was prepped and shared by each person.

I wish we all lived near enough to share these meals in such a trying time in our country.
Big - -

Bet it was quite a feast! Years ago, we had some organizations that had "game dinners." I was only part of a couple of them and it was so cool...stuff I'd never get to eat otherwise.

Our trying times have isolated so many, to their/our detriment. It's both individual and societal isolation. Not that I go out to eat much, but I haven't eaten a meal with anyone except my wife and son; all at-home, and home-made.

Everyday before work, I met "the boys" for coffee. Hasn't happened since mid-March.

As you know, we have some very talented cooks here. I'm not going to name any, at the risk of omission.

Things about a good cook are (1) they like GOOD food, (2) they view cooking as a creative expression, and (3) they want/need share it with family, friends, and whoever-the-hell else wants to eat it.....Or, maybe (4) share pictures of it on a tractor website to share with folks miles away.....maybe that's why I started this thread years ago....๐Ÿ˜Š

I wish we all lived near enough to share, too.....๐Ÿ™

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just pulled the ribs from the smoker, got them doctored up with cider vinegar and BBQ sauce. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I'll pull them from the oven around 5:30 and let them rest till dinner at 6:00 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

20200830_133111.jpg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just pulled the ribs from the smoker, got them doctored up with cider vinegar and BBQ sauce. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I'll pull them from the oven around 5:30 and let them rest till dinner at 6:00 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Dang.....show off!!

But you do have reduced fat Wheat Thins to go with them. :oops:

Enjoy! :cool:

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Thank you for sharing! That was all I was looking for, BUT....I was kind of disappointed in the commercial sauce as a base ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ thats what I was wanting to avoid. Someday I will give it a shot. I love chicken wings, used to be convinced only fried, but my favorite way now is to smoke them for about 2 hrs, flash fry them to get the crispy skin, then toss. My last wing post was just a hurry up meal with what was on hand, grilled the wings til almost done, throw in the oven at 450 with the convection on for a few minutes to crisp them up. Took BBQ sauce and jalapeรฑos blended together ๐Ÿ˜‚.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thank you for sharing! That was all I was looking for, BUT....I was kind of disappointed in the commercial sauce as a base ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ thats what I was wanting to avoid. Someday I will give it a shot.
Funny; I was kinda reluctant/embarrassed to admit that, but had to do full disclosure..... :geek:

What I actually use is a prepared cayenne pepper sauce, just not sure how to reproduce it...... :unsure:

Honestly itโ€™s a minor add to my recipe.....where thereโ€™s a will thereโ€™s a way.....(y)

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Our Labor Day meal: ( I don't know why OTT turns some of my pictures. Every picture is rotated 90 degrees clockwise.)
IMG_8275.JPG

Ribs, baked beans, microwave taters, and cole slaw.
IMG_8274.JPG

Peach cobbler.
IMG_8276.JPG

And with Ice Cream.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last night was salt potatoes, sautรฉed summer squash, chicken thighs and ribs outside with a fire.
A8A3ED5B-98C5-406E-9070-534424A0D74A.jpeg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We call it fun food Saturday.

Tater Crowns and onion rings (commercial), along with some homemade chicken tenders.

4A2E3466-8579-4950-8222-4B5AC4F46F43.jpeg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
you got a big outdoor fryer?
I do, but not for these ...do the tater tots and rings in an air fryer... got that a year ago.

I like to do the tenders by just seasoning the fillets cut from breasts, egg wash, then Italian bread crumbs.

I shallow fry in olive oil....not high heat...darned good...

I have a couple outside propane burners with a fish fryer kettle and a turkey fryer bucket. Never interested in frying a turkey, but use those for bunches of stuff, including frying. Even use the turkey fryer to boil maple sap sometimes.