EA Grapple or Green Machine

artho45

Equipment
L2800
Sep 15, 2019
Ord, Nebraska, USA
I've been looking at adding an EA grapple with a WR Long 3rd function with a SSQA kit to my L2800. If I also add the weld on plate so I can still use my existing bucket, the total cost would be over $3500.

Because of a post on a Facebook page, I have started to look at a Summit 3rd function kit and a Green Machine grapple. the cost would be around $1200.

I wouldn't need the SSQA because I would leave the bucket on. Which is the best way to go? Understand that this is a 14 year old tractor, but it is in great shape (800 hours) and I plan on keeping it around a long time. I have some brush to haul, Hay bales to feed a couple cows. snow to push, (although I would like to get a 3pt blade to help with the snow removal). Most of the other duties of the tractor are discing, tilling, and bush hogging that really don't affect the loader or grapple. Saving the money would be nice, but not the biggest issue, I want something that I will be happy with. Would you be happy with the cheaper option if it was you? TIA

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I could not justify the outlay for a dedicated grapple and 3rd function so I got a Green Machine Thumb and had it mounted on my forks.
For the amount and type of work I do [mostly logging], I felt the grapple fork setup was the right way to go. And so far it is working fine.
Since I don't run any hydraulic rear implements, I used my rear remote and long hoses to power the Thumb.
One caveat, it is relatively lightly though solidly built with mild steel, and can be bent if used for other than its intended purpose.
In other words only use it for grappling not pushing or pulling. Ask me how I know.
Also there are no grease fittings on any of the pivots so manually applying grease is necessary. If you are handy you could install zerks.
All in it cost me under $600 with some free welding by a friend.
Whatever you choose, you won't regret having a grapple

Attachments

Last edited:

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I would say get what you want if money is not that big of a deal. But, only you can truly make that decision. You know you will gain flexibility with the SSQA. Pallet forks would be handy. I really enjoyed using my EA grapple. Yeah, they are pricey, but the 200 lbs weight is a big plus on the small loaders.

You would probably make your money back, or much of it, if you sold the tractor with the upgrades.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There are a lot of grapples out there of various styles, quality and cost. If you know exactly what you'll use it, for most of the time, it helps decide the style.

The quality and cost go hand in hand, but the variable is determined by the machine you will use it on, your understanding of how it works and your skill at use. The more the implement weighs the less a tractor can pick up to move, because a loader does have a limit. So the total weight is a very important factor in choosing.

The most expensive is not necessarily the best, especially for a smaller tractor, if cost is a consideration. It may not be made out of an abrasive resistant(AR) material others brag about, but a low HP tractor will not be affected, because it can't bend either one (with common sense) .

artho45

Equipment
L2800
Sep 15, 2019
Ord, Nebraska, USA
I'm a big fan of the EA grapple.

Those pictures represent exactly what I will be doing with my tractor and grapple. We have an old farmstead that has been neglected for several years and we have a lot of trees to clear and old iron. I'm really leaning towards the EA grapple. I might give them a call today.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I talked with Travis when I was selecting my grapple. I went with the 55"Wicked Grapple since it weighed 239lbs and wouldn't take away as much lifting capability and that he said I wouldn't tear it up (barring intentionally trying). I had my doubts when ordering it, but once I received it and put it to work, it has taken everything I have thrown at it.

I have used it on brush, trees, moving implements (getting them unburied and then carrying them), and tearing down old buildings and moving the debris.

It has allowed us to accomplish so much work without breaking our backs. We wish we had spent the money the day we got the tractor.

PS-you will want to make sure you have a good brush guard on your tractor otherwise you will be putting something through your radiator.

BlindBuck

Equipment
B2601
Jan 3, 2020
PA
I am in the same situation and trying to decide on the grapple that is right for me. I feel I am being driven though more by the capabilities of my tractor as compared to what I really want or cost.

I have it narrowed down to the EA and the Artillian. For me having a baby tractor (BX2380 with SSQA) the EA seems to be the the way to go just because of how light it is. The Artillian can just be adapted and the configuration changed so easily. I could envision many times using just one grapple on it lifting logs and running my saw easily with it due to how narrow the one grapple is. Then other times having two grapples and rack, or pallet forks. If I had a larger tractor the Artillian would win for me.

I wouldn't worry about cost, if you aren't being limited by your tractor itself, get what you envision is the best tool for the work you want to do with it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I couldn't bring myself to shell out the $$$ for the EA. They do look like they are built well and out of quality materials, but I could literally buy 2 (almost 3) of the grapple that I ended up buying for the price of one EA. I can see if you are using the thing as part of a business (like a mechanic buying Snap-On tools) where your livelihood depends on it though. I lost maybe 150 pounds to the heavier grapple. I figured that if I ever encounter some log that is too heavy to pick up and move, all I have to do is get it a few inches off the ground to buck it up with the chainsaw to reduce the weight. If the loader can't do it, forks on the 3PT will. If they won't either, then the 150 pound savings wouldn't have mattered either.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Dochsml, I agree with you on cost. I bought the Kubota third function because it was less money then some off brand, but it had steel lines going to the front and was exactly as if it came on the tractor when new.

The grapple I bought does everything I need it to do over the two years I've owned it. Cost was a consideration because I don't use it 8 hrs a day, only once in a while for a few hours.

This MTL has worked fine, and they were easy to contact and deal with, and cost very reasonable.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Dochsml, I agree with you on cost. I bought the Kubota third function because it was less money then some off brand, but it had steel lines going to the front and was exactly as if it came on the tractor when new.

The grapple I bought does everything I need it to do over the two years I've owned it. Cost was a consideration because I don't use it 8 hrs a day, only once in a while for a few hours.

This MTL has worked fine, and they were easy to contact and deal with, and cost very reasonable.

How small of a log can you pinch with that grapple?

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA

I bought an MTL grapple as well. Very happy with it. Built like a tank.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
NHSleddog, to answer your question on smallest size of log it will grab, I can't say I've ever just grabbed a log to move it. I did pick up a 25' steel light/flag pole and moved it 300' and loaded it on a trailer. It did grab it and never moved lengthwise or rolled. I moved a 17' I beam, but I grabbed it by the flanges!

I usually grab a pile of brush to move. I've pulled limbs out of trees and cleared fences of wild roses pretty effectively. Loaded 7" dia steel pipe on a trailer...

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
NHSleddog, to answer your question on smallest size of log it will grab, I can't say I've ever just grabbed a log to move it. I did pick up a 25' steel light/flag pole and moved it 300' and loaded it on a trailer. It did grab it and never moved lengthwise or rolled. I moved a 17' I beam, but I grabbed it by the flanges!

I usually grab a pile of brush to move. I've pulled limbs out of trees and cleared fences of wild roses pretty effectively. Loaded 7" dia steel pipe on a trailer...
I was looking at that grapple but I feared it would not close enough. Will it squeeze down on a 6" diameter log to buck up with a saw?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Like i said, I grabbed a 7-8" at the base and tapered to about 4" at the top steel pipe 24' long laying the the brush. Picked it up and went down and around a barn, raised the pole up above a 4' fence on both sides of the driveway, and up a couple of times over 8' high to clear a couple of "trees" and loaded it on a man's trailer. The pipe did not move until I released the pressure.

I guess I never paid attention to what it would grab and not grab because it's grabbed and held on to whatever I pinched!

I also loaded a 10' piece of steel pipe 7" in diameter and put it my trailer simply because I had the grapple on the tractor, it was handy, and it saved my laboring the pipe on. Never slid when loading. Just never had a problem.

I could install the grapple and give a demo! But....my picture posting is.....zilch.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
I am in the same situation and trying to decide on the grapple that is right for me. I feel I am being driven though more by the capabilities of my tractor as compared to what I really want or cost.
I looked at the a whole slew of grapples. MTL, EA, LP, Artillian and a few others when I purchased mine. The main factors I looked at was what I was doing with it, the right tool for the job, because no matter how much you spend or you save, if it is not the right tool you will struggle with it. A few hundred dollars either way over the lifespan of a tool is how I look at it.

Grapple configuration, flat bottom, vs root rake, opening size, gripping functions etc.

For me and my B2650 the EA was the winner as it was light and didn't compromise my lifting capacity. I went with the root rake as I was going to do some land clearing and having the rake configuration would help with that task.

A lot of companies build grapples for skid steers so they are a lot heavier and built for demo or heavier tractors. Some grapples can weigh in at 700+ pounds so just validate you are getting something your tractor can handle

flogler

Equipment
2017 BX23s
Dec 18, 2019
Debary, FL. USA
I am looking for one also along with A2 product quick attach so I don't have to deal with pinning anymore. Just waiting on finances to pull the trigger. I have alot of vines here in Florida to deal with. It appears this would work great for that? Any thoughts?

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Another vote for MTL. Right now they have them for $999 and free shipping. The paint isn't excellent but everything else about it is great. I've used mine in rough fashion at times. I'm not sure how they can sell them so inexpensively now that I've seen and used them firsthand. Compared to the EA and most others, it's hard to beat.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Another vote for MTL. Right now they have them for $999 and free shipping. The paint isn't excellent but everything else about it is great. I've used mine in rough fashion at times. I'm not sure how they can sell them so inexpensively now that I've seen and used them firsthand. Compared to the EA and most others, it's hard to beat.
They certainly don’t put a lot of money into marketing like EA. I got the RK-X and the paint (black) on it was pretty good even underneath.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
For me and my B2650 the EA was the winner as it was light and didn't compromise my lifting capacity. I went with the root rake as I was going to do some land clearing and having the rake configuration would help with that task.
Which one did you get, exactly?