Another Safety Issue—- Seat Switch Deactivated?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When I bought my “lightly-used” M4700DT...it was a week or two before I realized it was also “lightly-Abused”.

Mostly minor and easily repaired defects such as mouse-eaten wiring and previous-owner-cover-ups (like charging-warning lamp removal)

When I was finally able to download/print an Operators Manual and read thru it I ran all the tests to check for “no start” safeties, such as PTO-engagement, FWD/REV lever neutral sw, gear-shift neutral sw., etc to confirm it would not start with those not in neutral. That’s when I realized the seat-safety switch was not even present... likely because the OEM seat was replaced with aftermarket.

Here’s my inquiry: How many have deliberately disabled their seat safety-switches? And what is the consensus on doing that?

Personally, I’ve not missed it (and hate the one on my lawn-trctor but live with it). I frequently start the tractor to warm it up without sitting in the seat ...and feel safe about it because of the two neutral safety switches already mentioned... the tractor will not start and run over me because of those two series-switches.

I sometimes need to shift in my seat to observe things while mowing, and I don’t wear a seat-belt (in-fact, since I’ve replaced the aftermarket seat with a better one with suspension from RK, I don’t have a seat belt installed.)
I do have a complete ROPS and donl’t have slopes to worry about.

Consensus?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My replacement seat for my "new to me" M4900 has a pigtail hanging out but there is no obvious connector on the tractor. I have gotten the parts manual, but I have not thought to look to see if the tractor originally was wired for a seat connection.

I do know that the Operator's Manual states the two safety items that you listed for starting.

I'll have to give it a look see.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
My first tractor was a Ford 9N. I still remember the old farmer that sold it to me cautioning me that it "didn't have a conscience" like the new tractors do. I was even stupider than I am now and I lived through it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My first tractor was a Ford 9N. I still remember the old farmer that sold it to me cautioning me that it "didn't have a conscience" like the new tractors do. I was even stupider than I am now and I lived through it.
My first was a 9N also.... So dangerous, I was very careful, even tho’ a newbie to tractors.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
When I bought my “lightly-used” M4700DT...it was a week or two before I realized it was also “lightly-Abused”.

Mostly minor and easily repaired defects such as mouse-eaten wiring and previous-owner-cover-ups (like charging-warning lamp removal)

When I was finally able to download/print an Operators Manual and read thru it I ran all the tests to check for “no start” safeties, such as PTO-engagement, FWD/REV lever neutral sw, gear-shift neutral sw., etc to confirm it would not start with those not in neutral. That’s when I realized the seat-safety switch was not even present... likely because the OEM seat was replaced with aftermarket.

Here’s my inquiry: How many have deliberately disabled their seat safety-switches? And what is the consensus on doing that?

Personally, I’ve not missed it (and hate the one on my lawn-trctor but live with it). I frequently start the tractor to warm it up without sitting in the seat ...and feel safe about it because of the two neutral safety switches already mentioned... the tractor will not start and run over me because of those two series-switches.

I sometimes need to shift in my seat to observe things while mowing, and I don’t wear a seat-belt (in-fact, since I’ve replaced the aftermarket seat with a better one with suspension from RK, I don’t have a seat belt installed.)
I do have a complete ROPS and donl’t have slopes to worry about.

Consensus?
The operator presence switch has been defeated on all (3) of my Kubotas that have such switches. That is one of the very first things that I do when buying a new tractor.

SDT

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I will say that the seat switch on my new Kubota isn't anywhere as touchy as my NH was. The blue tractor would shut down if I even thought about standing up.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I understand the need for them.
I understand the need to remove them.

I just wish they were a little more intuitive.

On my new B2650, it is almost not noticed if you know how it works. ALMOST.
You can start the tractor from off the seat.
You can run the pto from off the seat as long as it was engaged from off the seat.
You can not stand to see the tips of your forks or lean off the seat to see around something.

If I had a bypass button on the dash for those rare occasions, I would never give the seat switch requirement a second thought.

I will say I am resisting the urge to remove it. Kubota did a much better job implementing it on the B2650 than NH did on my last tractor.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I understand the need for them.
I understand the need to remove them.

I just wish they were a little more intuitive.

On my new B2650, it is almost not noticed if you know how it works. ALMOST.
You can start the tractor from off the seat.
You can run the pto from off the seat as long as it was engaged from off the seat.
You can not stand to see the tips of your forks or lean off the seat to see around something.

If I had a bypass button on the dash for those rare occasions, I would never give the seat switch requirement a second thought.

I will say I am resisting the urge to remove it. Kubota did a much better job implementing it on the B2650 than NH did on my last tractor.
A bypass switch would be real easy to do. Wouldn't even need to cut into the wiring if you used T taps.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I do not have any safety switches on the seats of my two tractors and would never want one.

Frankly, I am waiting for the day when, in the sake of safety, the operator presence switch will prevent the tractor from starting. Makes sense to me, who can be injured by something that does not move at all?

Well, I guess you could fall off. Time for an under tractor air bag and sensor, to cushion your fall if you should slip and fall?

But wait! You might hit your head on the fender as you fall. Remote crash helmet sensor next?

Not sure where it will end...:rolleyes:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
When I upgraded the seat on the B3200 the seat switches where 1st priority, that had to work as designed. I run a chipper as well as brush hog, and then the Safety factor.

I had to modify the base for the new seat to mount directly onto the1 OME seat slider and base brackets. It ended up being a piece of 3/16" flat steel which bolted onto the new seat and the original hinges also bolted onto it.

If I could upload pic's on this site I would but I can't..... so that's, that.:eek:

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I keep all the safety switches on my stuff there. The way I look at it they aren't idiot protection but complacency protection.

You hear of people getting seriously injured doing routine tasks due to complacency. There are even a few threads on this forum of roll overs or PTO injuries that have happened to family, friends or members of this forum because of complacency, distractions, or unexpected circumstances that happen.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I keep all the safety switches on my stuff there. The way I look at it they aren't idiot protection but complacency protection.

You hear of people getting seriously injured doing routine tasks due to complacency. There are even a few threads on this forum of roll overs or PTO injuries that have happened to family, friends or members of this forum because of complacency, distractions, or unexpected circumstances that happen.
I keep mine in place too as they haven't been a hindrance....

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I can find no reference to a seat switch in my M4900 WSM. As I previously mentioned the "Forward-N-Reverse" has to be in "N" and the PTO must be off.

My tractor wiring diagram/schematic does not show a seat switch.

Attachments

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I can find no reference to a seat switch in my M4900 WSM. As I previously mentioned the "Forward-N-Reverse" has to be in "N" and the PTO must be off.

My tractor wiring diagram/schematic does not show a seat switch.
Seat switch isn't part of the starting circuit in mine either.

biglefty

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301. loader an backhoe, EA grapple, Titan pallet forks, brush hog 18ft. landsc
Jun 23, 2019
PA.
I zipped tied mine in the down position it was so touchy just lift my left cheek an it wanted to shut down. Plus makes operating the hoe lots faster. Since its a hst I keep a 1x2 on board to depress the pedal to move forward or reverse rather than the hoe.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I zipped tied mine in the down position it was so touchy just lift my left cheek an it wanted to shut down. Plus makes operating the hoe lots faster. Since its a hst I keep a 1x2 on board to depress the pedal to move forward or reverse rather than the hoe.
That's how I bypassed the operator presence switch on my B3350.

Defeating the switch on my L6060 required removal and partial disassembly of the seat, as the switch is inside and I wished to bypass it in a way that could be easily reversed before future sale.

SDT

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sure, they can be a PITA at times. But then again, I have never needed them to 'save me'. Yet. So I accept the trade off of the occasional inconvenience for the day when I screw up (and as I get older, those days get more frequent) and it saves my sorry butt.

I also keep the guards on all my saws and tools too.

Even with all this, I still get hurt from time to time. I just imagine how much more often and possibly severe it could be.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I will say that the seat switch on my new Kubota isn't anywhere as touchy as my NH was. The blue tractor would shut down if I even thought about standing up.
Are you saying that if you farted it would shut down?????:D

As an aside, neither of my M9 has an OP switch and never had from the factory. Reason being is they want you to be able to operate implements like a grain elevator where you need the PTO running but aren't in the tactor. Most useless 'safety device' on any tractor.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Are you saying that if you farted it would shut down?????:D

As an aside, neither of my M9 has an OP switch and never had from the factory. Reason being is they want you to be able to operate implements like a grain elevator where you need the PTO running but aren't in the tactor. Most useless 'safety device' on any tractor.
No, lol! Pretty sure farting is what kept it working. I could operate the PTO off the tractor (wood chipper). I think it was mainly linked to the hydro pedals. If it didn't see weight in the seat, it would not let me touch the pedals without killing the engine. I haven't tried this on my Kubota yet. If I can't operate my wood chipper on it, the switch is going to go.