New tractor orientation

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Where do you learn, preferably hands on, how to use your tractor and implements properly?

Should the dealer have taken the time?

This forum is definitely helpful!!!

Youtube is helpful, but you never know if the information is correct.

I would think that the dealer would have a class, maybe just once a month or so, but some hands on for us newbies.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Where do you learn, preferably hands on, how to use your tractor and implements properly?

Should the dealer have taken the time?

This forum is definitely helpful!!!

Youtube is helpful, but you never know if the information is correct.

I would think that the dealer would have a class, maybe just once a month or so, but some hands on for us newbies.
Messick's videos are good and Tractor Mike also has great videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93RXImVEkBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR-GamIbfDg

As always though the best teacher is just doing it.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Learn by doing is really the best. Go slow. if it feels wrong, it probably is. Take your time, do not rush. A video will explain the basic operation but nothing compares to being the one in control. Go slow, Did I mention that? Do not just shove a control 100% of the way, try and master tiny movements. Precise Vs. Brute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftsg--DQCzs

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Often times someone has influence from someone that gets them to wanting/thinking about a tractor. The desire to own a tractor usually doesn't occur instantaneously.

I would suggest the new owner lean on the person of influence for guidance and instruction. The internet can broaden anyone horizons also. If you observe something you don't understand or is questionable, ask on a forum like this one.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Your idea for a class is an interesting thought. It would be very difficult to cover everything that you need to know in a single class. Read your owners manual to start. Watch they videos that have been mentioned. Think for yourself about the task your are going to do and think it all the way through.

Depending on were you live you might get information on safe tractor operations from them county extension office. Ask your questions here, at the dealer or with some one that you know that grew up on a farm. Also use the "Search" button on here and read as much as you can. Often the answer is here you just have to look for it.

Most of the people on here enjoy playing with tractors and enjoy helping the new kid on the block learn how to be safe.

Ask good questions and if you ask a poor one some one will tell you to try it again.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Often times someone has influence from someone that gets them to wanting/thinking about a tractor. The desire to own a tractor usually doesn't occur instantaneously.

I would suggest the new owner lean on the person of influence for guidance and instruction. The internet can broaden anyone horizons also. If you observe something you don't understand or is questionable, ask on a forum like this one.
In my case, no influencer.

Bought it out of necessity and for easier task time.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Your idea for a class is an interesting thought. It would be very difficult to cover everything that you need to know in a single class. Read your owners manual to start. Watch they videos that have been mentioned. Think for yourself about the task your are going to do and think it all the way through.
I agree that a class would not be complete, but going over the advanced basics beyond what is in an owner's manual or for those that are hands on vs book smart.

Attaching a 3pt implement is not something learned in a book. Intricacies of the stabilizers, top link adjustments, etc. When you watch a video hands on attempts follow and usually result in more questions.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Hi Orange1forme,
Good question, but a tough one to give a definitive answer to. As was said, experience is the best answer.....when preceded by asking questions. the problem with the answers is there's so many variables, both in machines, their operators, and their locale. Here we have close to 20 inches of nice rich, black topsoil. Others have much less. there's also rocky, sandy, wet, hard packed, clay, wooded, bogs, hilly, flat, etc. What works for one person in his area won't work for another in theirs. What works for one person on his size tractor might not work well for you on yours and the same goes for the implements. Someone might be a Charles Atlas and others not so much. You really have to ask questions and sift through the answers and apply the ones that fit your situation. Many answers are pretty straight forward and just as many need a lot of input from the OP to understand his unique circumstances. There's no such thing as a dumb question. You might get a few snarky answers and you just have to disregard them and apply the good ones. There are two "truths" that come to mind though: Be safe! and Wheels Down!! :D
Regards,
david

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I learned the basic skills as a kid from my grandpa and grandma on the farm.

Once I got my own tractor, I spent time watching and reading everything I coud.

When the dealer delivered the tractor, he went over the features.

I'm also fortunate enough to have my dad alive and active, so he supervised my first few trips on the tractor as I learned the features and how the tractor preformed.

As it has been pointed out, take it slow and get comfortable with your new tractor.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Read or watch what you can but getting on it and doing it is by far the best teacher.

Godaddy

Equipment
m7060
Feb 5, 2020
usa
The "BEST" way is to just get out there and start playing around! Go slow and have a good time doing it and "BE CAREFUL"!

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Years ago may Dad enrolled me in a farm safety class with our County Ag Extension Office. He attended also, as he was beginning a small hobby farm, with no previous tractor experience.
There are a lot of good YouTube videos dealing with tractor operation, and a couple of good forums like this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My old boss used to say the worst thing to do is put a newby with the most experienced hand for training. Reason being is the experienced man already knows all the short cuts and while being more efficient in most cases but also knows all the ways around the safety stuff.

Experience is the best teacher in most cases. Just take you time and use common sense.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This is one of the ...if not THE ...best site for tractoring on the Web... and anybody who’s the least bit curious, will find another top-informative site is AskTractorMike (dot) com. IMO, for learning what you didn’t know you didn’t know.