I wonder about new Kubota tractors...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The issue as I see it rests solely on the manufacturers to adopt and implement a universally accepted system of diagnostics. Today, no matter what brand of automobile you buy, they all ascribe to a universally accepted diagnostic system, OBD and because they do, you can purchase a scan tool for a reasonable sum that allows any end user to access the ECM and related electronic components and diagnose the issues and, depending on the cost of that scan tool and it's built in 'intel', even pinpoint the issue and suggest a repair (I have one btw).

As it stands presently, each manufacturer has it's own diagnostic parameters so it's impossible to purchase a 'one tool fits all' scan tool and the OEM scan tools are extremely expensive and /or cannot even be purchased because of the licensing restrictions. Not just Kubota either, it's every one. No interchangeability and even the diagnostic ports are unique to each manufacturer.

Consequently, until the manufacturers adopt a universally acceptable access, the only avenue you have to diagnose and/or repair an electronics driven issue is the dealer and while that is all good and fine while under warranty (manufacturers warranty and EPA mandated 5 year emissions component warranty, at that point, once the warranties have expired, any and all repairs related to anything driven or controlled electronically (emissions and fuel management) becomes your baby or the next owners baby. Last time I checked, parts cost not withstanding, shop labor costs were around $100.00 per hour

Unlike toilet paper, tractors, even small ones aren't disposable after the warranty period lapses. They all represent a sizeable financial investment and as such should remain serviceable for the life of the unit, not until the OEM or EPA mandated warranty runs out.

I will say that after discussing the issue with the Kubota rep and my dealer tech, I came away feeling that if owners followed the Kubota recommended procedures for regeneration of the DPF, there would be little issue. However, that don't excuse the down the line cost of DPF element replacement or cleaning because at some point in the unit's lifetime it will have to be addressed and at the current owners or second or third owner's expense. Bottom line is, someone pays at some point and how that will impact the resale value (if sold or traded in), I have no idea.

Without an industry standardization of diagnostic software and universal access to the ECM, guys like Wolfman won't be able to do much to them except mechanical rebuilds.

They won't be able to diagnose, repair or replace related to the ECM components simply because they won't be able to access the ECM to extract the fault codes. Consequently, your only avenue of repair is an authorized dealer with that absurdly expensive and limited available scan tool and in my view, while it's an excellent source of income for a dealer, it sucks for the individual owner.

Keep in mind, that just isn't unique to Kubota, that is a general accepted practice across all tractor manufacturers.

Until the manufacturers adopt a standardized diagnostic regimen and standardized access to the ECM, I don't want one, any color, any brand.

The ball is entirely in their court as I see it. The other issue is, will units built prior to any standardization, if adopted, can they be retrofitted and if they cannot, what is their value as they age?

Why I have and will maintain my pre Tie 4 tractirs. They are purely mechanical with very minimal electronic or electrically actuated controls, in fact, the only electric control on either is the fuel cut solenoid.

Are they 'green' not on your life but they aren't an electronic accident waiting to happen (at my expense) either.

I'd buy a T4 final tractor in an instant if there was some industry standardization. At the present time that's a pipe dream.

That is the driving force why buyers are buying Pre 4 units, whay they are becoming more and more valuable and command high resale value, because there are an infinite number of them and like the a good retail seller says... When it's gone, it's gone and there ain't no more. That applies in spades.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Well, the wheel has been around for quite a while.

I suppose that it may someday become obsolete but not in the "not too distant future." Same with the IC engine.

SDT
Physics doesn't become obsolete. The lever and the wheel are concepts in physics and will be around forever. Individual wheels that we make certainly become obsolete. Wheels made from stone, solid wood, wooden spoke wheels, wire spoke wheels, solid rubber tires, bias ply tires were all important and high tech in their day but they are all relics now. The IC engine has had a long run and is certainly not obsolete yet but the writing is on the wall.
Nothing lasts forever except Keith Richards.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Physics doesn't become obsolete. The lever and the wheel are concepts in physics and will be around forever. Individual wheels that we make certainly become obsolete. Wheels made from stone, solid wood, wooden spoke wheels, wire spoke wheels, solid rubber tires, bias ply tires were all important and high tech in their day but they are all relics now. The IC engine has had a long run and is certainly not obsolete yet but the writing is on the wall.
Nothing lasts forever except Keith Richards.
"The" wheel.

Not "A" wheel.

SDT, who has taken lots of physics earning the five degrees that I hold.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Automobiles became more durable and reliable in spite of catalytic converts. Not because of catalytic converters.

SDT
That's the honest truth. Anybody that believes more emissions equals reliability has either been under a rock or has been starting their car in the garage with the door down to often.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You are on to something but backwards. The bush hog made them obsolete. Why use goats when a bush hog will do it much faster.
Because a brush hog contributes to global warming, the prime mover spews exhaust. A goat on the other hand eats grass and stuff and contributes to the land with fecal matter, aka: fertilizer.

Why it's getting popular to use goats for grazing overgrown parcels. We have a good friend who 'rents' out his goats for just that in urban settings and they give milk (ewes) as well and goat's mile is pretty good.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That's the honest truth. Anybody that believes more emissions equals reliability has either been under a rock or has been starting their car in the garage with the door down to often.
Exactly. Seems as tough with the 'greenies', particulate emissions are the bad character. I make plenty of them myself, every time I throttle up one of my M's...:D

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Because a brush hog contributes to global warming, the prime mover spews exhaust. A goat on the other hand eats grass and stuff and contributes to the land with fecal matter, aka: fertilizer.

Why it's getting popular to use goats for grazing overgrown parcels. We have a good friend who 'rents' out his goats for just that in urban settings and they give milk (ewes) as well and goat's mile is pretty good.
Yeah the milk is very good and naturally homogenized. Many lactose intolerant people can drink goat milk. When he was a baby my son couldn't tolerate milk and it was a concern. A old Lebanese woman told us to try goats milk and it worked. We ended up with around 20 milking goats. I am not sold on their brush clearing though, when I tried it they ate everything I didn't want them to eat and left the stuff I wanted gone. I prefer my bush hog.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The issue as I see it rests solely on the manufacturers to adopt and implement a universally accepted system of diagnostics. Today, no matter what brand of automobile you buy, they all ascribe to a universally accepted diagnostic system, OBD and because they do, you can purchase a scan tool for a reasonable sum that allows any end user to access the ECM and related electronic components and diagnose the issues and, depending on the cost of that scan tool and it's built in 'intel', even pinpoint the issue and suggest a repair (I have one btw).

As it stands presently, each manufacturer has it's own diagnostic parameters so it's impossible to purchase a 'one tool fits all' scan tool and the OEM scan tools are extremely expensive and /or cannot even be purchased because of the licensing restrictions. Not just Kubota either, it's every one. No interchangeability and even the diagnostic ports are unique to each manufacturer.

Consequently, until the manufacturers adopt a universally acceptable access, the only avenue you have to diagnose and/or repair an electronics driven issue is the dealer and while that is all good and fine while under warranty (manufacturers warranty and EPA mandated 5 year emissions component warranty, at that point, once the warranties have expired, any and all repairs related to anything driven or controlled electronically (emissions and fuel management) becomes your baby or the next owners baby. Last time I checked, parts cost not withstanding, shop labor costs were around $100.00 per hour

Unlike toilet paper, tractors, even small ones aren't disposable after the warranty period lapses. They all represent a sizeable financial investment and as such should remain serviceable for the life of the unit, not until the OEM or EPA mandated warranty runs out.

I will say that after discussing the issue with the Kubota rep and my dealer tech, I came away feeling that if owners followed the Kubota recommended procedures for regeneration of the DPF, there would be little issue. However, that don't excuse the down the line cost of DPF element replacement or cleaning because at some point in the unit's lifetime it will have to be addressed and at the current owners or second or third owner's expense. Bottom line is, someone pays at some point and how that will impact the resale value (if sold or traded in), I have no idea.

Without an industry standardization of diagnostic software and universal access to the ECM, guys like Wolfman won't be able to do much to them except mechanical rebuilds.

They won't be able to diagnose, repair or replace related to the ECM components simply because they won't be able to access the ECM to extract the fault codes. Consequently, your only avenue of repair is an authorized dealer with that absurdly expensive and limited available scan tool and in my view, while it's an excellent source of income for a dealer, it sucks for the individual owner.

Keep in mind, that just isn't unique to Kubota, that is a general accepted practice across all tractor manufacturers.

Until the manufacturers adopt a standardized diagnostic regimen and standardized access to the ECM, I don't want one, any color, any brand.

The ball is entirely in their court as I see it. The other issue is, will units built prior to any standardization, if adopted, can they be retrofitted and if they cannot, what is their value as they age?

Why I have and will maintain my pre Tie 4 tractirs. They are purely mechanical with very minimal electronic or electrically actuated controls, in fact, the only electric control on either is the fuel cut solenoid.

Are they 'green' not on your life but they aren't an electronic accident waiting to happen (at my expense) either.

I'd buy a T4 final tractor in an instant if there was some industry standardization. At the present time that's a pipe dream.

That is the driving force why buyers are buying Pre 4 units, whay they are becoming more and more valuable and command high resale value, because there are an infinite number of them and like the a good retail seller says... When it's gone, it's gone and there ain't no more. That applies in spades.
Whats this this magic scan tool you have that you can plug in and can pinpoint the issue (OBD2 scanner)? I currently use 2 different manufacturers diag software and they still haven’t been able to pinpoint the issue by just plugging it in, as much as every customer thinks. I have made good money on aftermarket scan tools :D.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Whats this this magic scan tool you have that you can plug in and can pinpoint the issue (OBD2 scanner)? I currently use 2 different manufacturers diag software and they still haven’t been able to pinpoint the issue by just plugging it in, as much as every customer thinks. I have made good money on aftermarket scan tools :D.
HF Zurich with 'fix assist'. Not 100 % all the time but not bad either. better than Snap on by a long shot. Updates are all online too. Plug in to my laptop and download all the newest stuff.

Unlike you, I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it to do it the least expensive way.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
I agree completely. EVs are certainly not a better mousetrap. Automakers saw what the Obama administration was pushing, and erroneously bet on Hillary becoming president, with more of the same. So they went full steam on EV development, assuming the gov would force this down everyone's throat and they wouldn't be caught napping. Meanwhile, first attempts like the Chevy Bolt, despite winning Motor Trend Car of the Year, were quietly killed off because nobody wanted one.

The joke is that domestic auto giants like Ford and GM are all but killing off "cars" and building only trucks and SUVs. Truck sales are the most popular thing in the US, complete with powerful gas and diesel engines, and they have the least efficiency of all vehicles on the market. Yet...this is what everyone wants. I highly doubt Duracell-powered Ford F-150's and Chevy 2500's are going to be a smooth and successful transition.

Fear not, though. If the left can take the reins of the country, they will quickly tax the oil industry to the point of unaffordability, while simultaneously incentivizing EVs as much as possible. Once consumers are forced into EV's, they will declare climate victory, and then eliminate all incentives, and raise the price of electricity to the point where it is not any cheaper to operate an EV than an ICE vehicle, and we'll be back to where we are right now. Furthermore, the climate isn't going to change whatsoever...that EV's can somehow cool the planet is a giant lie spread in order to make a new generation of oligarchs...
This man gets it. This is more about politics and green religion than an apples to apples/oranges comparison between the ICE and EV. The problem is that it is hyper political. You can bet once the Tax payers "bailed out" GM that they would be blackmailed into some sort of Green push. The problem is that subsidies have been like what 30% for going green? Meanwhile Gas taxes keep increasing. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what is going on here......Government manipulation of markets to justify their ends. Subsidies should be seen as a stop gap to help once thriving industries transition to new areas. Like farming.....don't want over saturated markets or Farmers will go out of business....plus the world likes our over production. Subsidies shouldn't be used to pick winners and losers in new tech....just because you don't like the current dirty tech. But that is exactly what is going on....politicians who claim to hate Capitalism sure know how to pull the strings to get consumers on board.....aka tax breaks, reduced artificial costs (paid for by taxes possibly and ironically collected at the gas pump) and a "feel" good claim of saving the planet.

I will say as an efficiency nerd that I want a hybrid Turbo Diesel electric vehicle. Using Electric at slower speeds and Turbo Diesel at higher speeds and efficient gearing. The turbo also driving a electric generator to charge the batteries. This would be the best of both worlds and a heck of a lot more efficient than a pure gasoline ICE. Ah....but the problem you see is that much like Nuclear....me wanting a Diesel vehicle...no matter how efficient it is.....in the eyes of the Greenies....it's like bringing a whore to church. It's strictly forboden....especially in the US where Diesel vehicles have been on the decline for decades (propped up by inflated sin taxes on Diesel)....even tho Green Europe continues to see what we over here don't. Diesel is more efficient than gas..... but of course....some body saw a black Diesel cloud coming from a Semi and OMG we Americans are ruining the planet. Rant over....

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
"some body saw a black Diesel cloud coming from a Semi and OMG we Americans are ruining the planet. "

I can do that with either one of my tractors, at will too.:D

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
This man gets it. This is more about politics and green religion than an apples to apples/oranges comparison between the ICE and EV. The problem is that it is hyper political. You can bet once the Tax payers "bailed out" GM that they would be blackmailed into some sort of Green push. The problem is that subsidies have been like what 30% for going green? Meanwhile Gas taxes keep increasing. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what is going on here......Government manipulation of markets to justify their ends. Subsidies should be seen as a stop gap to help once thriving industries transition to new areas. Like farming.....don't want over saturated markets or Farmers will go out of business....plus the world likes our over production. Subsidies shouldn't be used to pick winners and losers in new tech....just because you don't like the current dirty tech. But that is exactly what is going on....politicians who claim to hate Capitalism sure know how to pull the strings to get consumers on board.....aka tax breaks, reduced artificial costs (paid for by taxes possibly and ironically collected at the gas pump) and a "feel" good claim of saving the planet.

I will say as an efficiency nerd that I want a hybrid Turbo Diesel electric vehicle. Using Electric at slower speeds and Turbo Diesel at higher speeds and efficient gearing. The turbo also driving a electric generator to charge the batteries. This would be the best of both worlds and a heck of a lot more efficient than a pure gasoline ICE. Ah....but the problem you see is that much like Nuclear....me wanting a Diesel vehicle...no matter how efficient it is.....in the eyes of the Greenies....it's like bringing a whore to church. It's strictly forboden....especially in the US where Diesel vehicles have been on the decline for decades (propped up by inflated sin taxes on Diesel)....even tho Green Europe continues to see what we over here don't. Diesel is more efficient than gas..... but of course....some body saw a black Diesel cloud coming from a Semi and OMG we Americans are ruining the planet. Rant over....
Double bingo, Troverman and PNW.

SDT

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Government has been involved in vehicle industry for a very long time. Cars are safer, cleaner and more efficient because of regulation. There are regulations around noise levels, wheelbase, warranties, lemon laws, parts accessibility among others. Manufacturers would never do this on their own since unless they all did it, like install seat belts for example, there would be a price advantage to less safe cars. Regulations level the playing field and we all benefit from safer.
As for subsidising industry with tax breaks this is exactly how industries start. Nuclear, tech, oil all start or have expansions subsidised by government. Look at farming or biodeisel which relies on many billions in subsidies. The government which represents the people (sometimes lol) decides that a viable farming industry is important to the country. They also see that whether we like it or not, EVs and alternative energy is a massive industry which will grow dramatically. The government encourages this to ensure long term economic growth and a cleaner environment.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Of course seat belts etc. are good ideas. Another good idea would be health coverage that prevents a major illness from bankrupting people. The problem is our elected lawyers don't know when to quit. They feel the need to regulate everything down to the font on street signs.

When I see a phrase like "level the playing field" it's a red flag. To me, that's a code phrase that means "let's take money from everyone and use it to prop up an industry or population segment that can't survive on its own merits" (or in some cases like milk the product would cost the user more than the government thinks the consumer should pay).

With capitalism, buggy whip manufacturers have gone away. Maybe the cost of milk is really $5.00 a gallon. Fine. Then that's what milk users need to pay.