Drilling holes in ROPS a bad idea - safety / warranty

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Try applying them with some epoxy like JB Weld. Worked like a charm for me on a JD ROPS I installed a couple of working flood lights on. Never moved at all, and popped off with a hammer and a good stiff putty knife.
You could do the same with a steel strap or plate to mount lights.

No holes drilled to suit the safety nazis or engineering police.

Clickbond products are made for exactly this application and far better than JB Weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Other than maintaining the ROPS integrity, the BEST reason not to drill or weld on the ROPS is to maintain re-sale value. If you sell it or trade it IN.... the value will be reduced by the price of new ROPS.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Other than maintaining the ROPS integrity, the BEST reason not to drill or weld on the ROPS is to maintain re-sale value. If you sell it or trade it IN.... the value will be reduced by the price of new ROPS.
I have not had that issue with my two trades. They were only worried about the hours on the hour meter. Never a word about the rops.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Neil Messicks specifically makes the point that any trade-ins they take with modified ROPS is devalued for that reason. He posted it in his videos.

A private buyer may differ on it, tho’.

Its also possible you didn’t get full value but they just didn’t mention the ROPS problem to you.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Neil Messicks specifically makes the point that any trade-ins they take with modified ROPS is devalued for that reason. He posted it in his videos.

A private buyer may differ on it, tho’.

Its also possible you didn’t get full value but they just didn’t mention the ROPS problem to you.
I have only traded two in and not to Messicks.

The only mention on the last one aside from the beautiful condition was the hours on the tractor. I got more for it than I thought I would so I was happy. I suppose they could have eaten the cost of the ROPS, but I doubt it. I will call him tomorrow and ask.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have only traded two in and not to Messicks.

The only mention on the last one aside from the beautiful condition was the hours on the tractor. I got more for it than I thought I would so I was happy. I suppose they could have eaten the cost of the ROPS, but I doubt it. I will call him tomorrow and ask.
If they don’t consider it presently... you might not want to “stir the pot”.... or they’ll adopt the policy they’d not yet thought of. ;)

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If they don’t consider it presently... you might not want to “stir the pot”.... or they’ll adopt the policy they’d not yet thought of. ;)
Well I called him. I explained the concerns and the first thing he said is, it probably varies by state.

In NH he said there is no problem with used equipment. He said the ROPS could be missing the top loop and as long as they wrote down that is was missing, there would be no liability. He said if they sent it out the door "knowingly" defective and did not disclose it, that would be an issue.

He also said he can't remember the last tractor that came in used with a ROPS that didn't have something mounted/done to it.

YMMV.