Adding a FEL to a BX2350 with no Joystick?

cpy911

Jan 19, 2020
Oregon City
I am a newbie with tractors and am looking at a BX on a used dealer lot to do mostly mowing and other light duty tasks around my new to me property. At some point, I might be interested in a FEL and wondered what the plumbing requirements are if I buy a BX without one? A dealer has a BX2350 for sale with no joy stick but has hydraulic ports. Would it be as simple as buying a FEL and then a joy stick control valve assembly and bolt it on? Or does it need a hydraulic pump as well? I tried reading threads discussing this, but was just confused in the end.

I am new, so can't post a picture of the machine I am looking at but hope you get the idea.

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am a newbie with tractors and am looking at a BX on a used dealer lot to do mostly mowing and other light duty tasks around my new to me property. At some point, I might be interested in a FEL and wondered what the plumbing requirements are if I buy a BX without one? A dealer has a BX2350 for sale with no joy stick but has hydraulic ports. Would it be as simple as buying a FEL and then a joy stick control valve assembly and bolt it on? Or does it need a hydraulic pump as well? I tried reading threads discussing this, but was just confused in the end.

I am new, so can't post a picture of the machine I am looking at but hope you get the idea.

Thanks!
Quite simply, if you want a tractor with a FEL either now or later, don't get a tractor without a FEL.
FEL's are not easily gotten either new or used after the fact, if it's not current production they might not have any left over FEL's available.
Same thing goes for the Spool valve.

OLD GAR

Equipment
MF210, FORD 8N, BIG TEX CH18,
Aug 3, 2015
ZWOLLE
What wolfman sez! Used loaders for the exact model may be hard to come by. A new one can run from 2500 to 3500. Not that much higher to find a good BX with one already installed.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Quite simply, if you want a tractor with a FEL either now or later, don't get a tractor without a FEL.
FEL's are not easily gotten either new or used after the fact, if it's not current production they might not have any left over FEL's available.
Same thing goes for the Spool valve.

^^^1000 times this^^^

Also, this statement makes little sense, can you elaborate?
no joy stick but has hydraulic ports.

Any modern tractor will already have the hydraulic pump, it operates the hydrostatic steering and helps operate the hydrostatic transmission.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If the tractor has a three point lift on the back it will have a hydraulic system to operate it. The joystick itself is frequently on the front end loader frame. The supply and return lines between the pump and the three point can be cut and the FEL cut in. You may not appreciate the price and difficulty but it can usually be done. There are after market loaders by Woods and Koyker among others but you may not appreciate the price and then there is the amount of work involved mounting them if you can't do it yourself. It is far better to just shop for a tractor with a loader already attached, especially if you're buying used. I think Wolfman may be low on his cost estimate if labor is factored in.