Heated Driveway.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
So about ten years ago, I GC'd a house for my brother in Nevada. He is up in the hills and gets plenty of snow.

It was a big and technologically (for the day) very advanced (all SIP and beam) home.

The driveway was about 200' long all together and wide enough for 4 cars up by the garages. Scalloped edges and about an 8' wide walk with scalloped edges that was 50' long to the house.

We were getting ready to layout the driveway and he shows up with a truck full of PEX. He goes on to explain how he is going to heat the driveway with the extra zones available on his boiler (he has a hybrid geothermal/NG system).

Now I start calling him a bunch of names and telling him it is bad enough you are building this palace to begin with, now you want to heat the driveway? You stuffy prick!

He starts laughing, and says you can take me out of New Hampshire but you can't take the Yankee out of me! He said he did the math, it is by far the cheapest and best possible solution. He figured under 10 dollars to run it a full 24 hours.

At the time it was 400.00+ in parts + 2 guys, two days labor (added to the already expensive driveway).

We put a 24 hour dial timer in his garage for the zones (he now controls them electronically). At the start of a storm, he turns on the zone for as long as he thinks he will need (usually 2-4 hours). We did not put down any insulation and we went to 6" from the edges on the entire driveway and walkway.

10 years later...

Well he gets the last laugh. We talked about it quite a bit the other day. He says that he can't tell the difference in cost if there is a lot of snow or not. The driveway is not only clean, it is dry. By going so close to the edges the snow melts a good foot away from the edge. The same goes for the walkway. He figures he could not even have paid for a decent snow blower for what it has cost to this point. Oh, and zero labor or damage the last 10 years.

He also travels a lot so knowing the wife and kids are all set is another bonus.

If you ever have the opportunity, he would highly recommend it.

I told him, personally, I would still clear it with my tractor - lol.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A fella built a new home around here, and it was all case and the latest and greatest ideas. And he also installed a heated drive way, which was a good idea because he built on the side of a hill and the drive way is pretty steep. Now we havent had a good snow around here in a couple years, how ever when we do get snow, the driveway melts, and at night the deer come out and bed down on the drive way.
First time I saw that there was maybe 10 deer bedded down, I thought that was strange then I found out about the heated part, smart deer

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I ran the PEX in the apron in front of my shop and every night when it's cold out, all the barn cats snuggle up on the apron. They ain't stupid either.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
A fella built a new home around here, and it was all case and the latest and greatest ideas. And he also installed a heated drive way, which was a good idea because he built on the side of a hill and the drive way is pretty steep. Now we havent had a good snow around here in a couple years, how ever when we do get snow, the driveway melts, and at night the deer come out and bed down on the drive way.
First time I saw that there was maybe 10 deer bedded down, I thought that was strange then I found out about the heated part, smart deer
Hmmm...dinner. Is that considered “baiting”...:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm doing it with my place, One twist is we have excellent geothermal potential,
so the driveway and sidewalks will be heated via ground heat for about $5 per month if my math is right. ;)
The outdoor loop is Glycol and we will also have an exchanger to the house and garage water heat so if it needs a boost we can do that.

As a bonus we will be using the systems in reverse to exchange the ground loop with the house loop for cooling of the house and garage in the summer. ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Please explain how your geo system works, I for one am interested

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Please explain how your geo system works, I for one am interested
The systems can vary greatly depending on what you want to use it for.
Our design is to just keep the sidewalks and driveway freeze free.

The ambient temperature is about 55 Degrees and stable at 15' to 30'

My temp is 54 degree's at 16 feet so we are choosing to go 16 foot down and bury a 2000 ft long loop of 3/4 pex pipe (some use Poly) which will take up a 25 feet long by 4 foot long hole, then connected back to the house via a 25 GPH pump and then to a block for distribution to 6 loops.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK so you pump the 55deg water out of the ground, then through loops and then back in to the ground?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: OK so you pump the 55deg water out of the ground, then through loops and then back in to the ground?

not quite...

it's a closed loop system, water/glycol gets circulated out of the ground, through a heat heat changer, then back into the ground.

It's probably the BEST heating/cooling system you can have. Pricey up front but super cheap in the long run. They either dig a LOT trenches, +-6 down or 2-4 vertical 'well holes'. 300' deeep holes cost $$ BUT great for small lots.

If you're in your 'forever' home, it's what I'd install.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
re: OK so you pump the 55deg water out of the ground, then through loops and then back in to the ground?

not quite...

it's a closed loop system, water/glycol gets circulated out of the ground, through a heat heat changer, then back into the ground.

It's probably the BEST heating/cooling system you can have. Pricey up front but super cheap in the long run. They either dig a LOT trenches, +-6 down or 2-4 vertical 'well holes'. 300' deeep holes cost $$ BUT great for small lots.

If you're in your 'forever' home, it's what I'd install.
Yea not quite... but like I said there are a lot of different systems, and a lot of different ways to set them up.
And I'll 100% agree with its one of the best heating cooling systems you can have, it's not too costly if you do all your own work, I'm into it for about $5K

My loop is:
Bury 2000 ft long loop of 3/4 pex pipe in a 16 foot deep by 25 feet long by 4 foot wide hole, then that loop is connected back to the house via a 25 GPH pump and then to a block for distribution to 6 loops of pipe in the slabs.

No exchanger loss at all, as the only exchanger is the loop in the slab.

Now summer cooling in the house does use the loop through a heat /cooling exchanger, as the house loop is water and the driveway / sidewalk loops are glycol.
So in the summer I use the ground cooling to cool the house, You have to control it via a computer that measures ground loop temp, interior temp, exterior temp and relative humidity and compares all of that to keep the floors from condensing.

I can do my loop this this way because we have excellent conditions for exchange, ground water table is around 10 feet give or take and gound is sand with a clay bottom, so the loop that we are burying will be in very wet or moist ground, and that is really good for exchange.
So if you have dry ground conditions, your much better off going deep well drilling or like you said a lot of loop runs to get the exchange. ;)

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
NIW, very informative. The loops in the ground, are they arranged like a flat slinky with overlapping loops or are they arranged upright like a can on its side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NIW, very informative. The loops in the ground, are they arranged like a flat slinky with overlapping loops or are they arranged upright like a can on its side?
Mine will be flat slinky with overlapping loops. :D

I have 12.5 acres to work with so I'm not short on room to install the loop. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:...I have 12.5 acres to work with so I'm not short on room to install the loop.

until 'she' decides 'your' new inground pool HAS to be located where the PEX is !!:rolleyes:

I've never understood why builders don't put weeping tile beds under the FRONT lawns.........

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
re:...I have 12.5 acres to work with so I'm not short on room to install the loop.

until 'she' decides 'your' new inground pool HAS to be located where the PEX is !!:rolleyes:

I've never understood why builders don't put weeping tile beds under the FRONT lawns.........
No problem there, The back porch, the hot tub, the green house, the tractor shed, and yes the indoor inground pool or at least a room for a lap pool, all have there locations mapped out with room to spare.
I've already run the water and power runs (just pipe) out of the house for these add ons as I build them! :D

The new shop will be in a completely different location at the front of the property.

Last edited: