2782B snowblower: very disappointed in ability

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
This is the second season with this and I am regretting the decision to buy this. :mad:

Prior I had a riding mower with a Bercomac snowblower. This is an 18HP riding mower and the pto belt drives the 2 stage 48" snowblower. Other than the fact the mower was open diff and I had the occasional time of getting stuck and having to dig my way out, it did a stellar job. In the last couple seasons I was using a universal vinyl enclosure, so no heat but out of the elements. :)

A few reasons made me upgrade to the B2650HSDC and get the front snowblower(hell that little one worked why wouldn't this one?).

Well, this thing just bogs down in anything other than light, fluffy and dry snow!!!!! Any moisture content and it just pushes the snow out in front, like a plow. Some snow gets in to the fan and out the chute, but mostly I just watch it pile up and then roll over the top or around the sides.

I checked shear pins, fine!!
Running it at WOT. Anything less just clogs the chute or stalls the tractor.
I put a weight in the seat and watch it work, just in park, to check spin. From what I can tell it's going the correct way.
Can it be going backwards? :confused:
I have tried the sprays, useless after a few minutes. I have Fluid Film to try next.

I have not put a camera on it to see exactly what it's doing, but it seems to pack in the housing and the augers don't seem to "chew" the snow and feed the fan.

I have taken video and gone back to my dealer. They say it's all looks good. They also say that they do poorly in wet snow. If that's the case, why not say so upfront or even sell them? Others don't seem to be having these issues when I watch the "Tube" videos.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Maybe your augers are backwards and not pulling the snow into the fan.

I'd have someone watch the operation from safely from the front.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Also, make sure the right and left augers are 180 degrees out of phase so they don't both dump the snow load into the impeller at the same time.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Hi Orange1forme! Something must be amiss with your setup. I don't have a
front mount blower but have a heavy duty 60" rear pto "Lorenz" brand snow blower. Behind my B2650 it will plow through most anything unless it's full to the gills with solid hard packed snow or ice. Heavy wet snow or slush just means it won't be thrown quite as far but still comes out the chute and goes flying. My blower has twin augers in front of the blower and the opening is roughly 30" tall.

Is your front driveline in good shape and not binding. You say you run WOT but does that also mean your front rpms are where they should be? Is everything lubed correctly (u-joints, driveline, chain, etc.) and free spinning like it should be? Just a thought.

Regards,
David

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Hi Orange1forme! Something must be amiss with your setup. I don't have a
front mount blower but have a heavy duty 60" rear pto "Lorenz" brand snow blower. Behind my B2650 it will plow through most anything unless it's full to the gills with solid hard packed snow or ice. Heavy wet snow or slush just means it won't be thrown quite as far but still comes out the chute and goes flying. My blower has twin augers in front of the blower and the opening is roughly 30" tall.

Is your front driveline in good shape and not binding. You say you run WOT but does that also mean your front rpms are where they should be? Is everything lubed correctly (u-joints, driveline, chain, etc.) and free spinning like it should be? Just a thought.

Regards,
David
All new, lubed and free spinning.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Also, make sure the right and left augers are 180 degrees out of phase so they don't both dump the snow load into the impeller at the same time.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Checked and good.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Maybe your augers are backwards and not pulling the snow into the fan.

I'd have someone watch the operation from safely from the front.
I did that last year.
That's when I took the video and went to the dealer for them to watch it. They saw nothing wrong.

Here are a couple pics.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have the same set up, and yours doesn't sound quite right. I snow blow in low range, 540 pto speed, and don't go that fast because of areas I am clearing. If I have 18 inches of packed snow I do have to move slow or it can't clear it. I have seen videos of folks flying down a long straight drive sending snow plumes 50 feet, but I don't think mine would do that. It moves snow where I want it to though. I blasted snow through the fence around my veggie patch and busted it up, so being cautious is a good thing.

CORRECTION: See posts below, mid pto is same rpm as engine speed, rear pto is close to 540 if it were on.

Last edited:

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
https://youtu.be/R0oJ1CfK7nE

Here is a short video from today after I cleaned it out and before setting off again.

I am thinking that the fan looks like it's going backwards due to the camera speed vs the fan speed.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I have the same set up, and yours doesn't sound quite right. I snow blow in low range, 540 pto speed, and don't go that fast because of areas I am clearing. If I have 18 inches of packed snow I do have to move slow or it can't clear it. I have seen videos of folks flying down a long straight drive sending snow plumes 50 feet, but I don't think mine would do that. It moves snow where I want it to though. I blasted snow through the fence around my veggie patch and busted it up, so being cautious is a good thing.
This is run off the mid pto and I was told to run it at the same WOT as the engine (not sure you can run mid different than the engine fro what I experienced).

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Push on the button that toggles the display from engine rpm to mid pto speed. You reach 540 mid pto fairly close to full throttle. Be sure to engage pto at idle and then ramp it up.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
https://youtu.be/R0oJ1CfK7nE

Here is a short video from today after I cleaned it out and before setting off again.

I am thinking that the fan looks like it's going backwards due to the camera speed vs the fan speed.
That was my first impression when I looked at your video too. It's like the wagon wheels turning backwards on the old western movies. Here's another idea, though. It's almost like something is slipping under load if your rpms are where they should be. I don't know your exact snow blower but could there be something slipping in the gearbox due to a broken key in a keyway? Or more likely, maybe your impeller is not securely fastened to the driveshaft and slips under load. Is that held in place by set screws that might be loose? If it's held on by set screws and a key...maybe the key has sheared and the set screws can't quite take the strain under load? Even a missing key? Is your chain drive fully secured (gears, keys, set screws?) It just seems like something could be slipping so there's loss of power at the impeller and doesn't show up when filming with the blower unloaded.
At least checking (if you haven't already) will eliminate these possibilities.
Regards,
David

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
That was my first impression when I looked at your video too. It's like the wagon wheels turning backwards on the old western movies. Here's another idea, though. It's almost like something is slipping under load if your rpms are where they should be. I don't know your exact snow blower but could there be something slipping in the gearbox due to a broken key in a keyway? Or more likely, maybe your impeller is not securely fastened to the driveshaft and slips under load. Is that held in place by set screws that might be loose? If it's held on by set screws and a key...maybe the key has sheared and the set screws can't quite take the strain under load? Even a missing key? Is your chain drive fully secured (gears, keys, set screws?) It just seems like something could be slipping so there's loss of power at the impeller and doesn't show up when filming with the blower unloaded.
At least checking (if you haven't already) will eliminate these possibilities.
Regards,
David
With the tractor off(safety police), I have grabbed either auger and tried to move/spin them and it only moves maybe an inch. It seems tight.

Last year I did have one side of the auger do this exact thing. The shear pin was broken, but still engaged when I checked it by hand. Under load it would not spin. Replaced the pin and back to normal. This was with non moist snow.

I will get another butt in the seat and check it out again this year. I just don't see anything different from last year.

Maybe it will take a dealer check to reveal the issue.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Push on the button that toggles the display from engine rpm to mid pto speed. You reach 540 mid pto fairly close to full throttle. Be sure to engage pto at idle and then ramp it up.
Attached is the PTO chart from the manual.

There are 3 positions: Rear, Mid & Rear, Mid.

I have not tried it, but I would bet that in the Rear PTO position, the snowblower would not turn.

In the Mid/Rear you are running the rear at 540 and the Mid at engine speed.

In Mid, just the Mid is running at engine speed.

Again, I have not verified this but that is my understanding of the manual and how it makes sense to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
With the tractor off(safety police), I have grabbed either auger and tried to move/spin them and it only moves maybe an inch. It seems tight.

I just don't see anything different from last year.

Maybe it will take a dealer check to reveal the issue.
But have you actually checked where the impeller (rotating fan) actually connects to its shaft. Put a wrench to the set screws, etc.? Depending on how it's fastened....it can slip if something isn't properly tightened or something is missing in order to hold it fast to the shaft under load. If the snow isn't being thrown out the chute properly it would appear that the impeller isn't rotating fast enough under load. Our B2650s have ample power for a properly sized blower.
Regards,
David

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My 2782B, on B2650, will also bog down in very wet snow, at certain times or year especially when the ground is not frozen. So I just avoid the blower if its all slush and push it out of the way with the box scraper or loader bucket. Usually melts again anyway in late fall.

But that's only happened once in 2 1/2 winters where I live. The rest of the time the tractor/blower makes quick work of anything.

Engage the pto at strong idle, maybe 1200-1300 rpm. Press the button to toggle the dash rpm readout to mid pto, and throttle to near 2500 rpm.

Eat snow.

Remember to lube the blower box chain with chain bar oil after every use.

Grease both drive shafts u-joints and carriage bearings regularly.

Tighten blower chain if too loose - don't over tighten the chain - it needs play through complete rotations and in any temperature conditions.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If it is mechanically sound, and you don't mind making a mod...

Youtube "turbo charge snow blower". Basically they mount rubber sweepers to the fan to eliminate the space and blowby between the fan and housing. It works on most machines, and from all the before and after videos I have seen, it is very effective.

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
Also after watching the video a few times it seems like the shaft going to impeller is spinning faster than the impeller. Might be just the video it's hard to tell

Check the impeller shear bolt

Attachments

Last edited: