Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That would pretty much take the fun out of a 6 grand hole shot,lol

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I thought airless tires have been around for a bit (on military vehicles). Likely rid like chit but, may be a good idea for the new crop now hitting the streets. Since they don't seem to know how to add air to a tire anyway.

I recall seeing something the other day about some new Bluetooth enabled ski boots...I have to wonder if that's whats causing all the fatalities at local ski areas lately? Skiers looking at their phone to see how their boots are performing rather than watching for other skiers, snow making equipment and trees.

Maybe Darwin is watching closely? ;)

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I thought airless tires have been around for a bit (on military vehicles). Likely rid like chit but, may be a good idea for the new crop now hitting the streets. Since they don't seem to know how to add air to a tire anyway.

I recall seeing something the other day about some new Bluetooth enabled ski boots...I have to wonder if that's whats causing all the fatalities at local ski areas lately? Skiers looking at their phone to see how their boots are performing rather than watching for other skiers, snow making equipment and trees.

Maybe Darwin is watching closely? ;)
There was two tires referenced in the article, I was referring more to the one with the sensor in the sidewall. It’s starting to get crazy what they are doing these days. A lot of the latest vehicles with just a VIN and my Ford dealer access I can tell you how much gas you have in your tank, amongst other things.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Fordtech86, do all the new Fords send telemetry back to Ford?

I've been considering a buying new F150, but not if they transmit data back to Ford.

Maybe I could cut the antenna cable?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
There was two tires referenced in the article, I was referring more to the one with the sensor in the sidewall. It’s starting to get crazy what they are doing these days. A lot of the latest vehicles with just a VIN and my Ford dealer access I can tell you how much gas you have in your tank, amongst other things.
Or fuzz on the steering wheel?:eek:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

I've been considering a buying new F150, but not if they transmit data back to Ford.

Depends on the level of truck you looking at. You can opt out on the connected vehicles too, but who knows if you really are in the clear. If the truck has the on board modem I can’t tell you for sure that they still aren’t transmitting whether or not you accept or decline. If it doesn’t have the on board modem it can still connect through your phone or wifi if you set up either one.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

I think that they do anyway. I have a 2018 F150 lariat that is fordpass connected. I can see where its parked, how much gas is in it, tire pressures and all kinds of other junk as well. You can remote start it from your phone, from about anywhere. and this is without the wifi "hotspot" enabled.

In any event, this stuff is really scary. Way too much technology for my needs. However, I do really appreciate heated/cooled seats and a heated steering wheel. Oh, and I've grown to like the automatic high beams.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:.... You can remote start it from your phone,

yup, and so can 10 year old hackers......

the more tech they put in, the easier it gets...as there's more backdoor or trapdoors to access....

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I think that they do anyway. I have a 2018 F150 lariat that is fordpass connected. I can see where its parked, how much gas is in it, tire pressures and all kinds of other junk as well. You can remote start it from your phone, from about anywhere. and this is without the wifi "hotspot" enabled.

In any event, this stuff is really scary. Way too much technology for my needs. However, I do really appreciate heated/cooled seats and a heated steering wheel. Oh, and I've grown to like the automatic high beams.
With your VIN number I could pull up all that info all the way from here in Louisiana ;).

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
With your VIN number I could pull up all that info all the way from here in Louisiana ;).
I'm sure you could. ;)

Any feedback on the latest 5.0 oil consumption TSB (TSB 19-2338). Wondering if it's worthwhile to do next time I have it in a shop. I was using a bit of oil initially, but it has seemed to have diminished a bit. Then again, I only have just over 7K on the truck.

I do like the truck, I'd say its the most comfortable vehicle I've over owned (super crew 6.5' bed), It just turns like an aircraft carrier.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I'm sure you could. ;)

Any feedback on the latest 5.0 oil consumption TSB (TSB 19-2338). Wondering if it's worthwhile to do next time I have it in a shop. I was using a bit of oil initially, but it has seemed to have diminished a bit. Then again, I only have just over 7K on the truck.

I do like the truck, I'd say its the most comfortable vehicle I've over owned (super crew 6.5' bed), It just turns like an aircraft carrier.
I have done quite a few of them TSBs in the past few weeks. Doubt they have put enough miles on them to know if the reprogram is curing the issue. If you read through the TSB its just reprogramming the PCM and you also get a new dipstick with a wider exceptable oil level range lol. I will tell you if you are going to do it that you should wait until the truck is due for an oil change, because you will get a free oil change when they do it.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
And to add to checking the oil on it, the truck needs to sit at least 15 minutes after being shut off before checking it. When they went to the auto start and stop they designed it to not drain back as fast during the auto shut down. They used to put stickers by the dipstick but they have done away with them.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Fordtech-

Yes, I saw a few pics of the "new" dipstick, now with the "new, improved level indicators"...pretty funny.

Saw some posts that folks said they've noticed some noise reductions and general smoothing of the engine after the TSB was applied. Not sure if that was placebo or not. And yes, I always check the oil level after its been sitting a long time. Seems like the oil consumption has slowed significantly after the first 4500 mi.

Regarding the "a.s.s", I've already installed the autostop eliminator. Unfortunately, I only do very short drives which is probably the worst thing to do to the drivetrain, didn't want to deal with a.s.s either.

Like I said, I really like the truck. It's a very comfortable drive. My wife surprised me with it for my birthday 2 years ago. I knew nothing about it until it was delivered in my driveway by the salesman.

So far so good, and I hope to keep it for a very long time.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Fordtech-

Yes, I saw a few pics of the "new" dipstick, now with the "new, improved level indicators"...pretty funny.

Saw some posts that folks said they've noticed some noise reductions and general smoothing of the engine after the TSB was applied. Not sure if that was placebo or not. And yes, I always check the oil level after its been sitting a long time. Seems like the oil consumption has slowed significantly after the first 4500 mi.

Regarding the "a.s.s", I've already installed the autostop eliminator. Unfortunately, I only do very short drives which is probably the worst thing to do to the drivetrain, didn't want to deal with a.s.s either.

Like I said, I really like the truck. It's a very comfortable drive. My wife surprised me with it for my birthday 2 years ago. I knew nothing about it until it was delivered in my driveway by the salesman.

So far so good, and I hope to keep it for a very long time.
Regarding the noise, they are fairly noisy. A lot has to do with the dual fuel system and the high pressure direct injection is very noisy, and it really gets noisy at the crossover back to the port system. There was an earlier reprogram to lessen that noise but it really can’t be eliminated. And then there is another noise that engineering keeps telling us is normal, it sounds about like a rod knocking. I just spent a few hours with a mustang with the 5.0 on Wednesday, it sounds like its knocking around 2500 rpm. Ran it on port injection only, direct injection only, no change. Cancelled individual cylinders while running, no change. This car only has 1200 miles on it too btw. Read through multiple reports on our hotline where guys have torn down and find no obvious concerns, and Ford engineering says its just charecteristic of the engine and no durability concerns are related to the noise. In the case of the mustang I can see where it would raise a concern for the owner, it is very noticeable.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Regarding the noise, they are fairly noisy. A lot has to do with the dual fuel system and the high pressure direct injection is very noisy, and it really gets noisy at the crossover back to the port system. There was an earlier reprogram to lessen that noise but it really can’t be eliminated. And then there is another noise that engineering keeps telling us is normal, it sounds about like a rod knocking. I just spent a few hours with a mustang with the 5.0 on Wednesday, it sounds like its knocking around 2500 rpm. Ran it on port injection only, direct injection only, no change. Cancelled individual cylinders while running, no change. This car only has 1200 miles on it too btw. Read through multiple reports on our hotline where guys have torn down and find no obvious concerns, and Ford engineering says its just charecteristic of the engine and no durability concerns are related to the noise. In the case of the mustang I can see where it would raise a concern for the owner, it is very noticeable.
I put a 08 Ford F550 diesel into ford due the the engine knocking back in early 09. They swore up and down it was a "Programming issue". Took care of it and gave it back.

Put 75 miles on it that day. Then got towed back in the next day. At around 36,050ish miles

That knocking was a connecting rod cap that was loose. I was hearing it slap. :eek:

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk