How are your brakes working?

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I helped change the front brakes on my niece's Kia Sorento last fall. She said it wasn't stopping very well.
Jacked it up and when we pulled the front wheels off, BOTH rotors were broken completely off the hubs, meaning she had been stopping only with the rear brakes for a while. Yikes!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I helped change the front brakes on my niece's Kia Sorento last fall. She said it wasn't stopping very well.
Jacked it up and when we pulled the front wheels off, BOTH rotors were broken completely off the hubs, meaning she had been stopping only with the rear brakes for a while. Yikes!
No idiot light? Must have sounded sweet... I know, she had the tunes cranked up right?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Lights mean nothing when you can’t see them. Had this car Monday.

Couldn’t see anything on the cluster when i had to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Learned way way back when I had a 65 Olds cutlass f85 that bad brakes can get you killed!
That car was too fast for the stock brakes, ripped out the single master cylinder, and drum brakes and swapped them out for dual master cylinder, dual piston caliper disk brakes cross drilled and vented with ceramic disks.

Just did the wifes new to her 2008 cadillac, all 4 hubs, all 4 rotors (drilled,vented and ceramic disks), it stops like right now, good thing because it goes like right now too.
It's a beast in the snow too!

My 2500HD has a brakes that will put you through the windshield, Yet they are getting due to be upgraded too. :D

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Brakes get checked every time I change the oil and rotate the tires. Caught a hung caliper on our CRV before causing too much damage. To give my son credit, he did say MPG's had dropped off over the last couple weeks prompting a check of the driveline. Two new calipers, pads and rotors both sides and he was good to go. Fronts have a little over a 3rd left and will get the same treatment when he is home in February and it rolls over 200K. 12yrs old and runs like new. Plugs, filters, all fluids as well as struts on all four corners are on tap at that time as well. May be a bit pricey but still less than a new car payment.

I used to hate working on my GM's for maintenance. Mixed SAE and metric fasteners, crappy access to what should be easily accessed components and stuff failing way too soon (water pumps, fuel pumps, PS hoses, control arm bushings, coil packs, wiper motors, etc) the list goes on and on. We bought our first Honda back in 2007 and have not looked back since.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW, if he had a chevy then the wheel bearing would have failed long before California :D.
True - wife had a Chevy Uplander van I couldn't keep WB's on.....think I did 8 or 9...:(

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Lights mean nothing when you can***8217;t see them. Had this car Monday.

Couldn***8217;t see anything on the cluster when i had to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was the primary driver a man or woman? :confused: Can't assume anything these days. :D I think I may have to have one for the tractor...and a couple cut into straight pieces for the zero turns. What cha think?

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Was the primary driver a man or woman? :confused: Can't assume anything these days. :D I think I may have to have one for the tractor...and a couple cut into straight pieces for the zero turns. What cha think?
Pretty sure it was a woman??? But who knows.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Lights mean nothing when you can’t see them. Had this car Monday.

Couldn’t see anything on the cluster when i had to drive it.
My question is, who sells such a thing and how many accidents have they caused?

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
No idiot light? Must have sounded sweet... I know, she had the tunes cranked up right?
Probably, or on the phone all the time. She said she didn't hear any strange noises, which I find hard to believe. When it wouldn't stop very well she decided to have her brother-in-law look at it, and he asked me to help get it knocked out fast. Had her back on the road in a couple of hours.