Drop the hammer on L2250 or no? A few problems

CallMeChaz

Equipment
looking
Oct 5, 2019
South Pittsburg, TN
Hey guys,

I'm looking at a Kubota L2250 with FEL for the second time tomorrow. Will address some problems with the seller, and possibly negotiate a price. It "looks" typical of a machine of it's age. Scruffy, but no major rust. Forgot to ask if hour meter works, but it's showing 3400. Starter did nothing at first. Seller said it would not turn over until glow plugs were sufficiently heated. After a few more seconds it started. Sounds solid. A few problems that will need to be addressed:

1. Charge light on. Voltage check verifies battery is not charging.
2. Dripping around newly changed settling bowl filter. He "puts a bucket under it."
3. Not sure what the gadget is to the left of the PTO lever, but seller said it never worked and he's not really sure what it does!
4. There is a narrow shaft that runs from the engine to the fan blade. The coupling where it joins a pulley near the engine is flopping all over. Looks like it was cobble on with some big washers. Nuts loose and missing. Shaft mounting all dinged up--been running loose for some time.
5. Evidence of fuel seepage on pump. Greasy dirt clinging to side. Not dripping.

So...
1. Assume it will need an alternator (generator?) or regulator at what cost?
2. Probably just installed poorly? No biggie.
3. No clue--any thoughts?
4. Is this common? Does it sound like a simple part replacement? Not sure what keeps the forward end of the shaft centered while the shaft flops around, but if it's a bearing or bushing it's probably shot too. Anything to fret about?
5. I've seen some older units that seem to have fairly dry pump areas?

Other than these issue, tractor has good rubber, decent seat, and comes with a beat up Brush Hog Side Winder. Hydraulics front and rear are fine/fast.
Asking price is $6800. Sounds on the high end even without the generator and fan shaft problem. I do my own work, but not familiar with the fan shaft assembly, and not sure how the charge system is set up. What am I getting into and what is a good price point?

Thanks for your time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The seller is B.S.ing you about not wanting to crank till the glow plugs get warm, there is nothing linking the two.
Your possibly looking at a safety switch issue, ignition switch issue or possibly a wiring problem.

The ignition switch or wiring issue could be why it's not charging too.

Alternator or gen and voltage regulator are not too bad, you can get rebuilt aftermarket on ebay for cheap.

If the O-rings were not installed right they will leak.

I don't know what gadget your talking about????

Now the fan drive can be a kettle of fish, some of them are discontinued and have to be updated.
If it's one of the ones available you have to buy the whole assembly and they are not cheap, $300 if I remember right.

Pumps leak for all sorts of reasons, so you'll have to give more details.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Without any pictures showing the tractor, and with the conditions you describe, and the ignorant comments the owner makes showing he does not know this tractor, I'd guess the asking price is at least 2K too much...maybe 3!

CallMeChaz

Equipment
looking
Oct 5, 2019
South Pittsburg, TN
Thanks for the quick responses. I will be looking at this tomorrow, so this is helpful.

I repair all sorts of equipment, but not familiar with this unit. I'm aware the guy is BS'ing me. Tried to tell me the Kubota dealer said these older units show a "battery light" for no reason LOL. That's why I took my volt meter. And I didn't think the glow plugs had to time out before it would crank.

If gen/alternators are easy to come by or rebuild, no biggie. Not so sure about the fan shaft now. However, it looks like something I can rebuild myself. Just wanted to be sure it isn't screwing up something expensive!

Price sound too high. I'm thing $3000 for tractor, $1500 for FEL, $500 for Hog. $5000'ish?

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
5K is too high, at least for me. What is YOUR time worth ? I see at least 3-4 days of labour getting the tractor back to normal, and that's IF it's just the alternator. Swap that out and hmm..light's still on...spend 1/2 day locating the mouse chewed wire or opened fuselink....drips can be dealt with but tend to 'grow' into all day projects. That fan shaft sounds like a nightmare.
Do more 'homework', Google what same tractors are going for, take the avergae of at least 10 of them. What's going shop rate ? Up here,$100 hr, so 800 a day---3 days 2400 PLUS marked up parts. While you can do the work, what happens if on day 1 you gash or break an arm ? Now you have to pay a shop to finish....$$!!
How old could the bushhog be ?Tractor has 3400hr, hog maybe 1700+ ?? gearbox could be on it's last legs.....hows the blades on it ??
Just trying to point out some stuff you might not see with those 'gottahaveit' eyes.

Jay

CallMeChaz

Equipment
looking
Oct 5, 2019
South Pittsburg, TN
Hey guys,

Did some homework before I went forth. Comp'ed 6 other 2250's with FEL's. Averaged $7500 (asking) after adding and subtracting for suspected hours. The hour meter actually works on this unit, so 3400 may be actual.

Alternators on the Internet are $60-150 shipped. The fan shaft is wicked simpler than it looked. Two shafts, each with a "T' strap and two holes on one end, bolted to a thin, fiber interface disc with four holes. Disk cracked when it came loose. Starting glitch was a fluke. Started fine 10 times in a row. Engine tight, good brakes, clutch. All gears engage like butter. The ol' Bush Hog was actually in great running condition with plenty of blade, though it looks like it survived several wars.

As far as "what is my time worth?" Well, $57/hr when I was working. Now that I'm retired--zilch! Beer money man! As far as hurting myself working on it--I am remodeling my new (old) house at age 68 and still going strong!
I've done mechanical and heavy construction work all my life and will not stop until I can't find work to do while flat on my back! I will have the Kub stripped and painted by the end of winter, because...well, because I can!" :cool:

Anyhoo, thanks for all the advice and input. Just like to have a few heads in on something I'm rusty on doing. I'm confident on this one now. Thanks again.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Chaz,
If you didn't get an operators manual with it download it free BY CLICKING HERE. When you say charge light on is it the one in the fourth picture you posted that looks like a battery? If yes, that is actually the battery low electrolyte warning, the charging warning looks like a lightning bolt (pdf page 19, manual page 15). Using the manual you can probably figure out what the gadget is to the left of the PTO lever. Have fun on the restoration of the tractor.

CallMeChaz

Equipment
looking
Oct 5, 2019
South Pittsburg, TN
The seller has a three ring binder printed copy, but I will check the link to see it it is any different. I believe the light that is on is a battery icon. I checked the voltage with the tractor running, and there is no voltage increase. Never heard of a low electrolyte warning on any equipment I ever seen. Interesting, thanks.
----------
I took a break and downloaded the manual you sent. The gadget to the left of the PTO lever is show on page three. It is a "restricting lever"--I guess to keep you from shifting into high speed PTO by accident. Oddly enough, the detailed use on pages 20-23 show a number of setups, but all with the lever to the top. But now I know what it is.

I just retired, so I will thoroughly enjoy the restoration project this winter!!

Abe

Equipment
L2250, 60"MMM, 6' Rear Blade, 6' Front mount Blade, 2 Furrow Plow, 7' Lift Boom,
I have an L2250 as well, that battery light is always on on my tractor, whether it's charging or not. Something to do with the battery it originally came with which is apparently not available anymore.
Mine is a 2wd with turfs. Attachments I have, 5' mmm, 2 furrow plow, 5' 6" Befco tiller, 6' tilt & angle rear blade, 6' rear lift boom, & 6' front blade. Sometimes would be nice to have a snowblower, and winter time 4wd would be awesome.
Tractor shows around 2400 hrs, 700 or so I put on it since I bought it.