Decision

tbsclmail

Equipment
Kubota B2650HSDC with front mount snowblower, loader, rear blade
Dec 8, 2019
Minnesota
So this is going to be a ramble, but here it goes. I’ll start by saying I buy/sell/trade tractors too much. To the point I wonder what others think. I started with the John Deere 1 series. Then I had a B3000, traded down and regretted it. So after trading down, I ended up knowing I was going to get into the snow business, which helped justify a trade back into a B series (B2650 cab). I thought I was going to just be doing single family residentials, but ended up inheriting a good number of condos (several developments). These developments have private roads, which is getting to be very time consuming with the B. I didn’t realize I’d have these roads to care for, and now feel I need to move into a skid. I spent a lot customizing the B, and I do really enjoy the machine, it’s just costing me money because I’m spending way too much time in these developments.

So my question in all of this is do I settle for what I have in the B and maybe add a plow to my truck to handle the roads? The down side is I’m then disconnecting a trailer at each location so I can plow. Or do I trade, a nearly new machine, yet again, to get a skid that can handle the work on its own?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Since condo fees pay for snow removal, hire it out, stay inside , nice and warm....
getting up before the Sun,repairs, cranky clients,insurance,etc. gets old fairly fast..... In the early 80's I was making $100/hr plowing small lots with CJ5. I sold the contracts and enjoyed NOT having to get up before Mr Sun !

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Get a helper, another truck with a plow as a subcntractor, and you use your existing machine. You can't keep spending your way to wealth!

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I think it depends on what sort of growth you want to see out of your business. If you know you are losing money with the B then you need something bigger for sure.

However then comes in the factor of budget, use and convenience. From what I have heard Skid Loaders do not operate the best in the snow, do offer some flexibility in their workloads, but come at a huge cost new and still a substantial cost used. It does do its work quickly and is very nimble and gives you the opportunity to grow your business in a different route too during the summer months as well with its digging capabilities.

A Grand L series tractor is larger than your B and can still operate a front broom or snow blower while giving the flexibility to spread sand/salt with the 3 point. This is a setup you are familiar and comfortable with but still costs a pretty penny, and is potentially still slightly slower than the skid loader.

A plow on your truck will make short work of roadways and you will get to keep your B for the individual condos, and is the least expensive option. However, do you have the room to park your trailer where it won't be hit by traffic while you are working with the truck to plow the roads and are you comfortable hitching and unhitching the truck to the required frequency. Also can your truck handle the additional load of a plow or will you need to go out and buy a bigger 3/4 ton or 1 ton to use the plow.

There are a bunch of ways to complete the workload you have (contracting it out is one of them) but at the end of the day you need to look at what the current work load is and what you expect your future growth to be to see what makes the most sense. If it takes 10 years to get your ROI back on a skidloader because it gets parked for half the year then maybe a Grand L that you only have parked a quarter of the year suits you better. Or if you see doing more roadways and less confined spaces like driveways the plow makes the most sense because then you can plow the roads first and pick up the trailer with the tractor after that part is complete.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
How many roads do you do, so how many times will you need to detach the trailer? What's your growth plan - more roads, or fewer roads?

While I can see you're thinking "I'm changing machine too much, I need to get one machine that's perfect", in my experience when you try to buy a perfect machine you end up over-buying, because you're buying for requirements you may have one day in the future.

I'm assuming you can put a plow on your truck cheaply, or trade your truck on one that already has a plow. In that case, there's no real downside in doing so - it gets you what you need now to do the job well, and if your needs change there's no real downside to a truck with a plow, the plow can go in your garage until you need it again.

I"m a big fan of delaying expensive purchases until it's very very clear you need them.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have both an L and a Skid steer.

My skid steer is an older 743 Bobcat and it runs circles around my L for snow removal, the thing is a beast.

If, and this is a big If, you can find a good low hour skid steer wheel model.
Then put some good siped tires on it with a good pusher blade, you be golden.

I wouldn't go tracked, unless all you do is flats they are fine, but any degree of slope and your done for, they just slide, and ice is a real blast!

The real advantage to a Skid steer over a tractor is maneuverability, they spin on a dime and fit into places that a tractor can't.

Now remember that they are way heavier than a B like 4 to 8 times as much, so you'll need a good 3/4 ton or better truck and a 10k plus trailer to handle it.

Going from a tractor to a skid steer has a learning curve to it, and I don't know if a condo situation is the best for learning how to finesse it around objects.
I would suggest that the first year you use a small bucket to do the work so you can learn how to run it safely, they graduate up to a large pusher.

A b will run a 60" bucket or blade fairly easy but load it up with wet snow and it will slow you right down if not just spin you out.
Where a good skid steer will push or lift 10 times as much without even hesitating.

Also if your doing long runs or long runs between jobs make sure the model has low and high range on the drive, makes it soooo much faster getting around.

One real advantage to running a skid steer over a tractor is a full roll cage and cab, and your secured in it.
I've been in some hairy situations where if it went over a hill I knew while I might be stuck I would live through it, and if someone hit me I know it would take a heck of a hit before they got to me.

If it's glass enclosed make sure it has full heat and wipers.
Put a strobe on top or flashers or both.