Gas powered log splitter

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
for highway towing, general rule of thumb...
single axle is 40% from tail. IE, with 10' box, axle is 4' from rear. tongue doesn't fit into this calculation. Also tongue needs 10-15% of weight.
I've built dozens of 'utility' trailers... using this 60-40 rule, ALL pull great.
If you have the option, use a 6" cylinder ! Bigger IS better !!

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
Ok perfect I guess I'll have to weight it before I weld the axle on, and for the cylinder 4 inches gives me 20 tons, plenty of force and by getting a 4 inch bore with 2 inch rod at 16 GPM it's 4.9 extend and 3.7 retract. If I go bigger with a bigger rods to keep the speed up the prices are ridiculous.

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
Make sure you have an adequate "work table-Table grate" its a must or you pick stuff up off the ground all day long. I won't run my TW6 without it. Negates almost all the efficiencies of the design. Also see if you can design the 4way to go "Flush" with I beam. there are plenty of times I get real large knotty crap that needs to be split with just the 2 way. I have to physically remove a 50lb 4 way and its awkward at best. Pretty neat design. also Prince valves are pricey but worth it from https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...g-Splitter-Valve-w-Power-Beyond-9-6587-PB.axd
I like the auto return feature. I split about 80cords a year and its worth the $
Good info, I just ordered all my hydraulics and even honda engine from them, even with exchange rate, broker fees, taxes and shipping it was cheaper than buying it in Canada! Thanks a lot