Gas powered log splitter

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I bought a Orscheln Farms splitter for $800 last Back Friday. Should be the same as Tractor Supply and also made by Speeco IIRC. I was originally worried about it being too small, but it handles massive pieces of dead Elm just fine. I can’t complain. It’s also small enough for me to move by hand.

Mine has a Honda engine too which is nice. Starts on the first pull typically.
This thread reminded me I needed a hub cap since mine was missing one the day I bought it. I will say the customer service call was somewhat of a pain. I was told my model and serial numbers were incorrect and that the s/n should have a LSxxxxx. No such thing on my model. There’s a s/n sticker on the unit and the engine. I had to call back and explain the situation and she was able to get me one, but I’m really hoping I don’t have an issue down the road either. I was able to fill out the warranty info online just fine and when I entered the s/n wrong, it wouldnt let me proceed. Apparently these people think it is a good idea to use Ls and Is in s/ns too.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
The Splitfire's are great machines, my neighbour has one and it runs perfectly, he runs about 20 face cords a year through it and has had it for 4-5 years. The dual action is a huge time saver and the log lift is such a back saver. I run 1-2 cords through it a year as well. They are pricey machines but they have little "features" that make them nice to work with and for myself I like the made in Canada:cool: aspect as well!

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I have a Ariens 27 ton I'm happy with , this has a add on shelf that was around $60.00 more if i recall right ? total 1660.00 +/- + tax I don't remember for sure.
I have the same model, with the Robin-Subaru engine. A well designed, USA made splitter at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately, it seems Ariens has quite making the splitters, so OP would have to search for a used model.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Check with your local tool rental store. When the season is over they often sell their splitters and will buy new ones for the next season. I paid about half price for mine. ;)

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
So right now I am pretty sure I will get an eastonmade ultra, it's expensive but well made, the only reason why I am hesitating it's because at that price I wish the 4 way wedge would be adjustable via hydraulic. I got time so I'll sleep on it a couple days.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The ultra is a beast, but I would like a lift,, so that 5-11 might be my next one, and you can put on a box wedge too,, but 7k + is a lot of cash

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So right now I am pretty sure I will get an eastonmade ultra, it's expensive but well made
Looked them up - never heard of Eastonmade.

All of them look real solid, strong, and quick.

As I often say here, the only person to satisfy with your purchase is you! :)

Honestly, I am apt to spend the extra $$ for something I depend on. For those important things, I'm also apt to go a little bigger/better than I really need.

Not knocking any of the other splitters mentioned. I've used similar ones many, many times. They work as well or better than the homemade ones I had.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I bought one from Wally world of all places about 20 years ago. It's a 25 ton with a Briggs engine. I'm sure there's better out there but it has given no problems at all.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/YardMax-YU3566-Log-Splitter/p68198.html[/QUOTE]

This seams to put the operator in an awkward position due to the axle being in the same area where you would stand to load/unload the firewood. I see from the video that the large logs can be split when the beam is upright but what about smaller logs that need to split. I would not want to reach over the axle nor squat down all day.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
I bought a gas log splitter about a year ago and have already split about 20 cords of wood with it. A couple of features that I am SUPER glad I got - but perhaps wouldn't have known about before I started using this one.

The "wings" are EXTREMELY useful. When you split a large diameter log, I let the far side "half " roll onto the wing. Then I finish up splitting the near side half one or two more times, tossing down the split pieces when I'm done. Then I reach over and bring the far side half into position and do the same. In short, the wings keep you from having to bend over and pick up split pieces. I wouldn't buy a splitter without wings!

The second "can't live without" feature and unbelievably absent on many models is an "auto-return" valve. This is a REAL time saver. When splitting, you of course have to hold the lever to bring the wedge into the log. However, when you are done, an "auto-return" will retract without you having to hold the lever. So, all of the time that you would save in having to stand there and hold the lever can be used to fetch the next log. This time savings may seem small but it really adds up.

Anyway, I purchased the champion attached below. It has both of these features and has simply been dead-nuts reliable and super-easy to start.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-27-Ton-224-cc-Log-Splitter-100424/302367049

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Well

After reading and shopping for a long time I decided to build my own, I have designed it, see attached pics. Inputs are welcome.
I am wondering what you used to draw the splitter?

With the engine and oil tank behind the axle will there be enough weight on the tongue to tow it at hwy speed. If it is for tractor towing only it looks good.

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
I use Shapr3D on ipad pro with ipad pencil. I've used it on a bunch of projects, saves me time and metal. It's all built to scale and for the motor I imported CAD drawing that I found online. Neat little program.

For the axle, I have looked at it but with all the metal up from I figured it wouldnt be a problem.... I'll calculate it, does anyone know the percentage of the weight I need ratio for fwd and aft of axle to be highway towable?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
A friends grandfather used a non working 3 point splitter as the platform and built a small pull behind. The reservoir he used was from a dump truck. It was pretty slick since it had the brackets already on it. The larger the reservoir, the cooler the fluid is his way of thinking. I think she said he built it like 10 years ago or so. It also has a lift as well as oversized tires so it***8217;s easily moved by hand.

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
Well

After reading and shopping for a long time I decided to build my own, I have designed it, see attached pics. Inputs are welcome.
Make sure you have an adequate "work table-Table grate" its a must or you pick stuff up off the ground all day long. I won't run my TW6 without it. Negates almost all the efficiencies of the design. Also see if you can design the 4way to go "Flush" with I beam. there are plenty of times I get real large knotty crap that needs to be split with just the 2 way. I have to physically remove a 50lb 4 way and its awkward at best. Pretty neat design. also Prince valves are pricey but worth it from https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...g-Splitter-Valve-w-Power-Beyond-9-6587-PB.axd
I like the auto return feature. I split about 80cords a year and its worth the $

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
Thanks, I modified the design a bit as you can see in the pic attach the wedge 4 way will go against the H beam so shouldn't be a problem, thank for the input, I also added a floating log lifter, and a removable towing bar that I can put in the rear as well.

Attachments