Gas powered log splitter

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
Hey all,

I have been shopping around for a good log splitter for a while. Wondering if any of you have suggestions.

Right now I am leaning toward a split-fire log splitter but I am open for suggestions.

Thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Had a DR inertia splitter that worked pretty slick but sold it. I heat with bio-mass now.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I bought my Huskee 22 ton log splitter from Tractor Supply several years ago, so I don't know what is on the market right now. I looked at the Split-Fire splitters briefly. I noticed they do not appear to have a vertical mode. That may or may not be important to you. I have had to use mine some on very large pieces that I cannot pick up, but I rarely do use it that way.

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
It would be beneficial if you could tell us about a budget and expected volume needs. Also what are you intending to burn in ? Fireplace ? OWB ? Stove ? Do you have larger saws to "noodle" with and are you comfortable handling a saw more if needed to block down stumps ? Also what does you supply look like ? It is tree service cast offs or are you securing log truck "sticks" delivery. I have a TW6 and a super split kinetic splitter.

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
It would be beneficial if you could tell us about a budget and expected volume needs. Also what are you intending to burn in ? Fireplace ? OWB ? Stove ? Do you have larger saws to "noodle" with and are you comfortable handling a saw more if needed to block down stumps ? Also what does you supply look like ? It is tree service cast offs or are you securing log truck "sticks" delivery. I have a TW6 and a super split kinetic splitter.
Hi

For budget obviously if I can save money I will but let say not more than 5K cad but for a very versatile machine I can go up a bit more. I usually cut my own trees and harvest them myself and to supplement I order a tandem load of eight footer a year (Maple mostly). I use the wood in a slow combustion stove cut at 16" long and splitter around 4-5 inches diameter. I had an very old home made splitter but it is now time for a new one. I usually do 50 face cords a year ( I supply my father as well).

Last edited:

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
Hi

For budget obviously if I can save money I will but let say not more than 5K cad but for a very versatile machine I can go up a bit more. I usually cut my own trees and harvest them myself and to supplement I order a tandem load of eight footer a year (Maple mostly). I use the wood in a slow combustion stove cut at 16" long and splitter around 4-5 inches diameter. I had an very old home made splitter but it is now time for a new one. I usually do 50 face cords a year ( I supply my father as well).
And a 4 or 6 way cutter would be nice

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
Hi

That's "supersplit" sweet spot. Talk to paul . they build them in Massachusetts. Him and his son. The best way is to build a "work table" slightly tilted to roll down to you and SS. Also you can run it with an electric motor if you wanted to run it in a heated garage or barn. Truly amazing machines. Check out the website and some YouTube vids. Way fast. Weak spot is the lack of a log lift but you work around that with your loader and the table. I dont know what a "face cord" measures out to but I can do a full cord in about an hour 40 minutes by myself. Look at a conveyor soon too. That becomes the log jam soon

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
The wife bought me a 25 ton Black Diamond for my 60th birthday this Summer $1200 USD

She told me I was getting old hehehe

I only do about 5 full cords per year, with how much you are doing you want a fast cycle time

I am pretty sure mine is 9 seconds which is PDQ

They make a heavier one too and it is still pretty fast

This one

ps yes it does Vertical also and you can add a 4 way, although I haven't yet

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I see you are also in Canada so have a look at TSC. I wanted to replace my big home built splitter because it has a 1982 Toyota engine on it and I am having trouble getting points and distributor cap for it now, even from dealer.

So I bought a Forest King 25 ton on sale from TSC. I thought I was going to be disappointed after using my big car engined splitter all these years, but I was very impressed. The two stage hydraulic pump gives it lots of power. It has been trouble free, it was cheap, it breaks through knotted maple no problem and is horizontal or vertical.

And just for your info it weighs 464 pounds.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It you have the money, and I am saving up for this one, around 7k a lot of cash true but the time it will save plus the log lift might just be worth it. And it will last forever

https://youtu.be/aMkqGuRtaYk

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It you have the money, and I am saving up for this one, around 7k a lot of cash true but the time it will save plus the log lift might just be worth it. And it will last forever

https://youtu.be/aMkqGuRtaYk

That's an awesome looking splitter. I wouldn't ever be able to justify one like that down here in the south, considering I only have to heat a 900 square foot house.

However, for you boys up north, I would want to process firewood quickly and efficiently as possible. For the amount some of you burn in a year, it would probably be worth it.

Also, unless you are in a rush, check out Craigslist regularly. I have seen some very nice condition used splitters for sale at reasonable prices from time to time.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You should checkout what Princess Auto has to offer. I find them to be a LOT better than the 2 TSCs near me......
Also look into a smaller 'wood processor' You're handling a LOT of wood so it'd be faster,easier unless of course you LOVE handing logs and tending to sore backs......

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
princess auto has them get as big as you can afford add axe head or same to make it a four way they work well and PA policy of repair return is great

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I bought a Orscheln Farms splitter for $800 last Back Friday. Should be the same as Tractor Supply and also made by Speeco IIRC. I was originally worried about it being too small, but it handles massive pieces of dead Elm just fine. I can’t complain. It’s also small enough for me to move by hand.

Mine has a Honda engine too which is nice. Starts on the first pull typically.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I have a Ariens 27 ton I'm happy with , this has a add on shelf that was around $60.00 more if i recall right ? total 1660.00 +/- + tax I don't remember for sure.

working on adding picture

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I live in Florida, so firewood here is mostly for what you could call "pleasure fires" I do have a fireplace in my house, and we do burn fires on cold nights, but its more so to enjoy it than to try and heat the whole house. Saying that - I did want a log splitter because we have a lot of logs from clearing and downing trees on the property (13 acres). I bought the following last black Friday for $799. It has worked like a champ the past year. It has the same Kholer engine that is found on much more expensive units. It splits verticle and horizontal, and powers through the hardest wood Ive been able to throw at it. I could never justify spending thousands on a log splitter when one like this is on the market. I have found nothing about it that seems poorly made. Its all heavy duty steel, solid welds, hoses all look very solid. Log splitters are fairly simple mechanical units. I just dont see how some of these other splitters sale for thousands.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-25-ton-log-splitter-126151799--1