Starting info for a newbie.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Jewels -

RIGHT NOW you are in Minnesota, have summer fuel that may not be treated for winter service, and only have a little bit in the tank.

That's not a good thing. I would NOT want to be in that spot.

We're 42F today, which is really warm for January. We've had winter swings of 60F to -20F in a couple days....80 degree swing in 48 hours.

That combination alone is the recipe for a lot of newbie messages here on OTT for "It's -10F and my tractor won't start...":eek:

It sounds like the consensus is that whoever you get on the phone at the service station probably has no clue WTF kind of diesel is coming out of the pump.

I would take a leap of faith and get what they got, put in some Power Service (White bottle) additive or your additive of choice, and go with it.

Fill the tractor to FULL! Then let it run for at least 30 minutes to get things mixed up. :)

It isn't good to have your tractor tank at a quarter-full. As it warms/cools, expansion/contraction draws air and moisture into the tank.

I always try to keep my tank at or near full, especially winter. Less room to introduce moisture. That moisture has no where to go, but for causing more problems down the road.

Best wishes! :cool:

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can treat any fuel, summer or even winter blend without any ill effects.
It's not like you can over treat it (within normal treatment use).
Even doubling it won't hurt it.

Everyone has a favorite treatment, I use Stanadyne, less for the Gelling (I run off road that is always winter blend) and more for quality.
And I use Soltron for Biocide treatment.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
And I use Soltron for Biocide treatment.
Jewels - Wolfman mentions another good thing - Biocide.

Another common problem is algal problems. Algae or bacteria grow in the water/diesel fuel interface of the tank, and make a real mess.

Doing what you're doing can make a good environment for a biomass build-up and cost you a lot of $$ replacing filters, cleaning tanks, etc.

I've never had a problem, but gotten so I treat with a biocide year 'round also. It's good insurance. :)

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
It might seem a little confusing or even a bit intimidating at first but in no time the controls and handling will become second nature and you won't even think about it. They are rugged beasts and can't hurt them easily at all.
As for winter diesel I am sure they switch at the refinery and most gas stations wouldn't even be aware. If you live in Minnesota you can count on getting winter diesel when you fill up in winter.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
rjcorraza, do you wear bifocals or trifocals? :D