Emergency new (metal) roof for the house

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tornado, I'd suggest you taking an active part when dealing with the contractor. Let him know your expectations from quality, any small details that may pretain to your house, to where to park their equipment. It makes it easier for the contractor and you also, to know you're on the same page and have a common goal. Then, as you are observing them during the day, if you see things not meeting those ideas you can say something. Otherwise just observe and offer them some cold water on a hot day!

And all your anxiety and worry will not get anything done any faster or better.

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Tornado, I'd suggest you taking an active part when dealing with the contractor. Let him know your expectations from quality, any small details that may pretain to your house, to where to part their equipment. It makes it easier for the contractor and you also, to know you're on the same page and have a common goal. Then, as you are observing them during the day, if you see things not meeting those ideas you can say something. Otherwise just observe and offer them some cold water on a hot day!

And all your anxiety and worry will not get anything done any faster or better.
this is precisely why I am burning vacation hours to be home during this. I may have to kill 3 full days of vacation just to be there, which is a lot of time to burn just inside the new year. I only get so many hours per year to use. One of the reason I went with this contractor is because they are a more professional business. They have an actual office, multiple crews, a website, a Facebook page, they are on angies list with multiple 5 star reviews, etc. They aren't like a lot of the other contractors that were recommended to me who run their business out of their truck, have no office, have just themselves and a few buddies they employ. I went with a contractor who has some visible history out there that I could read and see. It is also fairly well known however that this contractor is higher than many others, and I certainly feel I paid a little much for what I'm getting, but it was either do that or take a risk with one of these other folks who have no footprint anywhere to speak of, aside from a little word of mouth. Im hoping I dont regret it by the end. If I overpaid and get a low quality of work I will be pretty annoyed. Ill know pretty quick what I got when the crew shows up.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Since you're going to be there take LOTS of pictures at ALL angles and sides, during ALL steps of the job !!
A pro will NOT be upset and it may help for home insurance purposes.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Agree on the pictures! Especially of the underneath layers. The particular crew makes all the difference in a big outfit. Fingers crossed you get a good team!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Well, I just got a phone call. they want to start this thursday....said they had some delays on some other jobs so moved me up. I was told 4-5 weeks but its been just 1 week. Happening a lot faster than expected! Gonna get up on the roof and pull all the plastic off today given 0% rain chances today and tomorrow. Thursday morning they will start and anticipating 3 days of work the guy says. Gonna take some "before pictures" today after work and just film the roof in the "before" state. Ill try to take some pics as they work, but I hate to look like someone who is standing back ready to nit pick - we all know that type. Ill be more covert about it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
When you have your conversation with the owner/foreman let them know you'll be taking a few pictures because you've had folks ask you about why you chose him over someone with a lessor price. You want to show them how you do it!

Often times a contractor will move up a job because he has one that maybe can't pay right then, or going on vacation, or whatever....and moves to a place where he doesn't have those problems.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yea well when they told me 4-5 weeks she disclaimered it by saying "Thats just a rough time frame, it all depends on each job and how things go, but we will call you to let you know" Another guy I know who just used them to reroof a shop/barn type building, he was also told roughly 5 weeks, and they done his roof in one day, yesterday. he said a crew of 7 guys showed up and had it done by 2:00pm. They didnt have to strip anything though on that one, just put the metal on. So they have moved a lot of jobs up for some reason.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Sometimes all those jobs aren't REALLY moved up. They push out the date a bit and them when they move it up the customer is overjoyed. If they gave a start date and had to move it back the customer becomes cantankerous!

Kind of like the Dr. not giving the patient the most positive outcome possible, then when the outcome is excellent, the Dr. gets good reviews!

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Sometimes all those jobs aren't REALLY moved up. They push out the date a bit and them when they move it up the customer is overjoyed. If they gave a start date and had to move it back the customer becomes cantankerous!

Kind of like the Dr. not giving the patient the most positive outcome possible, then when the outcome is excellent, the Dr. gets good reviews!
Sometimes it’s like Captain Kirk telling Scotty he needs those engines back on line NOW!

Scotty...”Captain it’s gonna take five days to repair these engines.”

And when Scotty has the engines back on line in five hours, (like he knew he would all along), he comes out smelling like a good Saurian Brandy. ;)

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA
What I wanted but no one around my area has the ability to form the radius of the curved roof line on my 30 ft front porch. My house was built in 1937 along with 2 others in my town by same builder and this guy loved curved roof lines. Starts just a foot from edge , 6ft wide porch, maybe 10ft radius to join 7/12 roof.
I went with the impact/hail resistant shingles . As I said, in our hail prone area it gets me a 23% discount on homeowners insurance, metal will also.

I'd liked to see a picture of your front porch it sounds neat, if thats possible.

I bet you could find someone have you looked at Commercial/ Architecture sheetmetal shop that specialize in metal roofs.
I'm in a sheetmetal workers local union and you'd be surprised what can be made by someone with metal. Ive seen some neat things done.
Union or Non-Union it might cost you when it's more complicated. But the end results it's worth it.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I'd liked to see a picture of your front porch it sounds neat, if thats possible.

I bet you could find someone have you looked at Commercial/ Architecture sheetmetal shop that specialize in metal roofs.
I'm in a sheetmetal workers local union and you'd be surprised what can be made by someone with metal. Ive seen some neat things done.
Union or Non-Union it might cost you when it's more complicated. But the end results it's worth it.

I too have done a fair share of " tin knockin". I sold my shop & retired 4 years ago. The carpenters actually built a truss then marked & sawed the curve. I almost just added straight rafters but we are thinking selling & building a small home at the farm.

Attachments

Last edited:

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
What I wanted but no one around my area has the ability to form the radius of the curved roof line on my 30 ft front porch. My house was built in 1937 along with 2 others in my town by same builder and this guy loved curved roof lines. Starts just a foot from edge , 6ft wide porch, maybe 10ft radius to join 7/12 roof.
I went with the impact/hail resistant shingles . As I said, in our hail prone area it gets me a 23% discount on homeowners insurance, metal will also.
I forgot to say with the hail resistant shingles our insurance will pay 100% of replacement cost for " cosmetic damage " where if metal will only pay if destroyed. This I said State Farm so don't know about other insurers.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yea well when they told me 4-5 weeks she disclaimered it by saying "Thats just a rough time frame, it all depends on each job and how things go, but we will call you to let you know" Another guy I know who just used them to reroof a shop/barn type building, he was also told roughly 5 weeks, and they done his roof in one day, yesterday. he said a crew of 7 guys showed up and had it done by 2:00pm. They didnt have to strip anything though on that one, just put the metal on. So they have moved a lot of jobs up for some reason.
Gee, I just read this thread and do not see a conclusion!

Hope the roof went on well and performed satisfactorily over the last year!