Changing R4 Tires

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
A few years ago I changed to R4’s for my BX2360. When I did that I got them with rims from the dealer. The back ones have went bad and need to be replaced.

1) Can I replace just the back tires if I am going with the same size? 26x12-12.

2) if I get that same size, am I ok finding something outside of the dealer, if they are put on the rims that came with the R4’s?

I understand that the 4 wheel drive can be messed up if tires are changed and not matched appropriately. What I’m confused about, is if I stay with the same size am I ok? Or can tread depth and other factors still get me? In which case, do I need to do all 4? I’d rather not place all 4, and also would like to be able to shop around rather than go through a dealer, if possible.

I read through a lot of tire threads but didn’t see something that fit exactly what I was asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I recently asked a similar question, and got a bunch of replies, but none answered the question directly. I then started checking with tire dealers asking the same question, is a 26x12-12 always the same size. What I learned is that some manufacturers hold closely to this standard, and others don't. This means that the circumference of the tire can vary from one tire manufacturer to another for the same type of tread. I did some comparison of the tires that I have, and they are all OEM tires from Kubota, some which I purchased "used", and the ones that came with my tractor, and they are all the same.
The problem of damage to the 4 wheel drive comes into play if you are using the 4 wheel drive on a dry surface, where it is difficult for the tire to slip. Pushing snow, it isn't as critical.
If you want to be on the cautious side, buy the tires from the dealer, and many dealers have very competitive pricing on tires.
I saw this tire, and it appears to be a better all around use tire for my tractor, however, I need to learn the circumference of the tire before I purchase it. I like the tire because it is a 6 ply tire, instead of most which are 4 ply tires. I will also need to find a matching front tire if I were to go with these tires

I forgot to mention that I searched the Messicks website for rim sizes, and it appears that from the Kubota BX22 to the latest model the BX23S they all use the same rim, and that rim is also used for all the different tread designs that are available for the BX tractor, loader, backhoe combinations sold by Kubota. If you have just a tractor, or a tractor with just a loader, I can't say for certain that any wheel is OK, because I have no way of comparing it.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A tire guy explained size variations in the same size tires this way. Take 2 or more different tires the same size, say 26x12-12.
Inflate them to the same pressures. Measure the circumference of the tires and you will get a set of measurements.
Now take the same tires and measure ROLLING CIRCUMFERENCE. To do this, mount the tires on the vehicle they will be used on, at full weight, and measure the distance they roll one revolution on the ground. You will get another totally different set of measurements. Sidewall stiffness, rim size, & number of plies (and inflation) can vastly change the rolling circumference.
What you want to do is match the original tire's rolling circumference with the factory originals. Some manufacturers supply rolling circumference in their tire data, some do not.
The simplest thing to do may be to just replace your worn out tires with the exact same tires. If that tire worked before, it will work again.

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
You don't have to go back to the Kubota dealer. You do need to try and get close to the same Rolling Circumference (RC) that is not always a listed specification from tire manufacturers. I've had to call some tire manufacturers for that spec when I was changing from R1's to R4's. RC plays an important roll in the front to rear ratio of the 4WD system. A 26x12-12 will not all have the same Rolling Circumference if you were to switch from a 4 ply turf tire to an 8 ply industrial or lug tire. Knowing the brand of tire previously on the tractor and its original RC when new will help in selecting from the wide variety of 26x12-12 R4's on the market. However, I doubt there is a large enough variation in the same ply R4 RC's to be detrimental to the tractor drive system.