HST Whine.....Gone.......!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Work Tunes sound reducing earmuffs work well too and you get to listen to your favorite FM station.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kinda got me thinking of something like this. Although with it not being "secured" to the inside I'm not sure if it would act the same way.

https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Foam-Beads-Slime-over/dp/B06ZZGT85J
How would you keep them in there?
Again you would be sealing up the ROPS there for trapping water.

Wrapping the outside with foam is a better idea, used to do it with roll bars all the time, you still might get rust but at least you can see it to determine if it's an issue or not.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Ear plugs are the most cheapest option for any loud operating piece of machinery. I can buy 1,000 pairs for $39.99. Then we would not have all the name calling around here! :)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Ear plugs are the most cheapest option for any loud operating piece of machinery. I can buy 1,000 pairs for $39.99. Then we would not have all the name calling around here! :)
What did you say I can't hear you?

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yea I wouldn't do this personally, for exactly the reason NIW has stated - You likely hurt the resell value of the tractor a lot by doing this. If you aren't concerned about resell value then by all means go ahead.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
It would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to just remove the ROP. A couple bolts removed, problem solved, no more resonance.

ROP then becomes RIP. :eek:

Digger
I really hope you are saying this in jest. Maybe you are lucky enough not to know some one that was killed on a roll over tractor. A friend from high school was going to rake hay, something that he had done several times. He drove across the creek and started up the other side when something went wrong. They found him under the tractor, an old Ford 9N. He had drown in less then 2 inches of water. Sam was 19.

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
BigG,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Yes, I say it in jest. Years ago a great uncle was pulling tree stumps, flipped the tractor back over onto him and crushed his back. He survived, but was in a wheelchair for the next 40 years.

It is amazing how quickly a common practice or chore can turn bad. All it takes is a moment of distraction. I have been very lucky to avoid injury many times in my 59 years.

Digger

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I leave my Rops folded down all the time on my tractor. I park it in my garage and I can not fit the tractor in the garage with the ROPS up, so I just leave it folded. I wish the pins weren't screwed in, because it makes folding and unfolding the rops a more annoying process. Here in Florida though my whole property is completely flat. I also never wear the seat belt. If something ever goes sidways I want to be able to jump off!

RyanG

Equipment
2019 Kubota BX2380, 60"mmm, FEL. 2018 JD X390, 54"mmm (for sale)
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
How would you keep them in there?
Again you would be sealing up the ROPS there for trapping water.

Wrapping the outside with foam is a better idea, used to do it with roll bars all the time, you still might get rust but at least you can see it to determine if it's an issue or not.
I would use something like this.
https://www.mcmaster.com/screens
Maybe Brass or Aluminum. One that would be easy to form and just overside it. Press it into the bar and it shoudl be good to go. you can even fold the edges over to add a little more support. Plus it'll still breath and easy enough to remove if needed.
Granted, I'm sure some moisture would still be inside, but even an open tube like that will have dead air in. I know on my BX there is a plate welded in on the bottom that had enough gap on the corner to fish 1 wire through, but not large enough for 2 wires (added a ROPS light bar and wanted to hide the wires). No way all the water is going to evaporate from that filled or unfilled.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I have to remind you that there is a man that is a multi-millionaire because his coffee was too hot...

While I feel like this is a good idea, I have to agree that a dealership will replace it if traded in, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just in case you are referring to the McDonald's indecent it actually wasn't that simple and it wasn't a guy it was an elderly lady. The lady was trying to add cream to her coffee and spilled it (not the issue). The issue was that they were serving the coffee at such a high temperature that 3rd degree burns develop in like 3 seconds or something similar that (they did this because people would ask for refills when waiting for their food in the drive through so they raised the temp so they couldn't drink it). So because of that she didn't have a reasonable amount of time to get out of her car to get the hot pieces of clothing off to avoid the burns.

Also she just asked for help covering the medical expenses and they countered with an apple pie coupon. Then in the actual suit she asked for the medical expense cost again but the jury awarded the much higher multi-million dollar number instead.

McDonald's then ran a smear campaign and it worked.

I am not one for petty lawsuits but this one actually had a real reason behind it. If you don't believe me look it up on Wikipedia and follow the sources.

Also I know this is way off topic from the original post but this lady has been smeared enough for something that isn't true and I like to think I am helping her out a little.

chuck99z28

Premium Member

Equipment
BX23s
Aug 13, 2019
Virginia
You can get those black foam pipe insulation tubes from Home Depot online in huge sizes if you want something clean and neat.

The only reason I see selling a tractor to the dealer is if you're trading it in for a larger more expensive tractor. I doubt they would care even if they noticed it on a big sale. Otherwise you'd get a much better price on Craigslist.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
I leave my Rops folded down all the time on my tractor. I park it in my garage and I can not fit the tractor in the garage with the ROPS up, so I just leave it folded. I wish the pins weren't screwed in, because it makes folding and unfolding the rops a more annoying process. Here in Florida though my whole property is completely flat. I also never wear the seat belt. If something ever goes sidways I want to be able to jump off!
With the ROPS folded you are not supposed to wear the seatbelt, so that you are OK there. However, running a tractor even on flat ground can still result in a tip over. My mother tipped her small tractor over once when she accidentally clipped the telephone pole with the back tire while mowing. She was watching the output on the mower and was a little too close to the pole. The unit in a couple seconds crawled up the pole and tipped it sideways. She was fine as she was strapped in and the ROPS was in up, her lawn is perfectly flat. She probably would have had broken bones but only ended up with some bruises and a bit embarrassed

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Tornado, I seem to remember some people replacing the threaded bolts with pinned bolts, name escapes me just now, which would be much faster. They may rattle but that should be a solvable problem. I don't know if they are "illegal" or less safe than originals.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My BX22 has large thick pins that are kept in place with Spring Clip Hair Pins, and you just pull the hair pin, and pull the large pin, fold down the rops, and both pins are held in place from getting lost with a wire. This is how Kubota built it back in 2004.

Attachments

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I would test this theory by completely removing them from the tractor for a test run.

It would cost nothing and you would only be out a few hours.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My BX22 has large thick pins that are kept in place with Spring Clip Hair Pins, and you just pull the hair pin, and pull the large pin, fold down the rops, and both pins are held in place from getting lost with a wire. This is how Kubota built it back in 2004.
Looks like the bar on my M9. My bolts, pins and weldments are a lot bigger however and they rattle too. I ignore it.

St8 e

Equipment
B2650
Dec 11, 2018
Central PA
Just in case you are referring to the McDonald's indecent it actually wasn't that simple and it wasn't a guy it was an elderly lady. The lady was trying to add cream to her coffee and spilled it (not the issue). The issue was that they were serving the coffee at such a high temperature that 3rd degree burns develop in like 3 seconds or something similar that (they did this because people would ask for refills when waiting for their food in the drive through so they raised the temp so they couldn't drink it). So because of that she didn't have a reasonable amount of time to get out of her car to get the hot pieces of clothing off to avoid the burns.

Also she just asked for help covering the medical expenses and they countered with an apple pie coupon. Then in the actual suit she asked for the medical expense cost again but the jury awarded the much higher multi-million dollar number instead.

McDonald's then ran a smear campaign and it worked.

I am not one for petty lawsuits but this one actually had a real reason behind it. If you don't believe me look it up on Wikipedia and follow the sources.

Also I know this is way off topic from the original post but this lady has been smeared enough for something that isn't true and I like to think I am helping her out a little.

I stand corrected...

I think we can agree that she was compensated for the mishap by the person/corporation at fault (after reading about it)...

Which proves my point...anyone can file a lawsuit on anyone else for, pretty much, anything...and it is the defendant’s burden to prove otherwise. That typically costs money and/or time that no one would really like to give...

A good call though...thanks for the reference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro