HST Whine.....Gone.......!

philip53

Equipment
L3301 with 525 FEL
Jul 26, 2019
Jonesboro, Louisiana
Like most folks, the HST whine on my Kubota was horrible. I have a 3301, and one of my neighbors has a BX with a FEL. We have both complained about the noise for some time. He recently filled his ROP bars with an expanding foam and got a six decibel reduction as measured where his head would be on the tractor. Now that is a lot! Being a bit skeptical, I still decided to try it on my 3301--and I was completely surprised. It worked better than I had ever expected. The whine is virtually gone. The theory is that the hydro unit transmits the sound directly into the ROPS bars and it resonates like a bell. Now I know this is hard to believe, but for only about $12 you can try it yourself. I would not use the foam in the can, as it would not be able to fill the bars completely. We both used a two part foam used to set fence posts (link below). It pours in as a liquid and goes all the way to the bottom to begin expanding. One package just does fill the entire ROPS bar system on a 3301. Mix about four ounces per lower leg, then adjust to fill the balance. Just be sure all vent holes are sealed! Don't forget to do the top bar as well, just fold it over to fill. It will expand out the tops of the bars, just let it dry and break it off.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sika-Polyurethane-Fence-Post-Mix-Actual-Net-Contents-33-fl-oz/999977070

One problem though, with the whine gone, the other engine noises seem to be even louder! Time to work on that now......

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Recently filled his ROP bars with an expanding foam
While I applaud your efforts to reduce noise, you've now rendered your tractor unsellable to a dealer.
They will have to remove and replace the ROPS to make it sellable.

Just be prepared for that hit if you try to trade it in on another.

Also If any damage occurs to the unit or to a person an insurance company has the ability to deny any claim and you would be personally liable, this could also happen if you sell the tractor to another private party, and the damage or injury then occurred.

Brinet

Dec 15, 2019
House
Can you explain why the warranty would be compromised?

It doesn't sound like any holes were drilled or any structural modification was done.

philip53

Equipment
L3301 with 525 FEL
Jul 26, 2019
Jonesboro, Louisiana
Please understand if I don't agree with your assessment. Totally effing ridiculous to assume that lightweight foam has ANY consequence to strength, stability, etc.

Real world, not frickin' lawyers. Will have zero affect on resell to anyone but idiots. Doesn't bother me a bit, unlike that damn whining noise.

Ok, ready for the pile on....

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Yeah... I do not 'get' why filling the ROPS with foam is a problem.
Unless it rusted/corroded it, it should have zero effect on its' ability to protect. I can understand being leery of holes drilled as a force in just the right spot at a hole can induce collapsing. But the foam?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Unless it rusted/corroded it, it should have zero effect on its' ability to protect. I can understand being leery of holes drilled as a force in just the right spot at a hole can induce collapsing. But the foam?
ANY modification to safety equipment not authorized by the manufacturer absolves them of responsibility and places the responsibility on the shoulders of the modifiers.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
ANY modification to safety equipment not authorized by the manufacturer absolves them of responsibility and places the responsibility on the shoulders of the modifiers.
By that logic, wouldnt strapping u-bolts with lights hanging off them potentially change the way stresses were imparted onto the ROPS if the tractor flipped onto those housings?

How could foam inside somehow compromise a ROPS but not all the many u-bolts and weight hanging off them that comes with every single light installation, drilling or not?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
By that logic, wouldnt strapping u-bolts with lights hanging off them potentially change the way stresses were imparted onto the ROPS if the tractor flipped onto those housings?

How could foam inside somehow compromise a ROPS but not all the many u-bolts and weight hanging off them that comes with every single light installation, drilling or not?
Why do you think we never installed anything to the rops on tractors we sold that wasn't supplied by Kubota? As a dealership it just wasn't worth the risk. I really don't like dealing with lawyers

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I can't see how the foam would compromise the strength. But resale would have potential to be a problem. I ran wires up through on mine for some lights. Might annoy someone in that way.

I am intrigued by the results though. I may try putting something removable in there to see if I can replicate the effect before filling it. Maybe stuffing it with some old bedsheets?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well i guess you told me, :eek:
Sorry you think I'm just effing ridiculous, and an idiot... I just know facts not fallacies.
I try and be nice and just inform you of the consequences and you tell me off, why thanks! :rolleyes:

Eserv said it perfectly! ;)

One simple reason why it's "altering the structure", Foam traps moisture, moisture causes rust, rust weakens the structure, structure is now compromised.

Now to answer:
"Well it's just open and moisture can just get in there", " what's the difference?"
It's open so the moisture can get back out too!

Foaming your ROPS is a bad Idea, period!

Go take a trip to a local dealer and ask them...
Any good dealer will say any altered ROPS must be replaced before a sale therefore it reverts to you to pay for that replacement, usually in the form of a substantial lower trade in value!

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
And some dealers even drill holes in the rops to mount work lights. Mine included. LOL.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If the whine is so troublesome why not wrap the ROPS with a pool noodle, or pipe insulation and go from there. That might help and not cause any any problems with any modifications to the ROPS. And I would say that if you want to fill the ROPS go for it. You have been given a warning that it might cause you a problem. After all Wolfman has just a little experience with the tractor world and has never posted a thing to bring harm to anyone.

You learn a lot when you keep an open mind.

I forgot about the u-bolts, they can be removed without damaging the ROPS. Thus they are not a problem if the dealer wants them removed. It might be a little difficult removing all the foam.

Last edited:

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
One other comment unrealted to ROPS modification is that this simply suggests the ROPs are taking a vibration audible. When removing "ring" from anvils, we commonly wrap their base in heavy chains. I would think a similar attempt on the ROPs would easily replicate that dampening effect without needing to be filled with foam but would take some experimenting.

For me the HST whine isnt a nuisance and went down considerably with my 50 hour maintenance but I'm also not on my tractor multiple hours a day, either!

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Actually, mine dosent whine any louder than my wife does... so i`m use to it... i also do have selective hearing syndrome, happy thoughts while being on the tractor drowns out everything :D

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
What is basically happening when you fill the ROPs with foam is you are changing the natural frequency of the structure. That being said I am sure there is an engineer on this site who may be able to explain ways to change frequency without compromising the structure.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
I would have no problem using the foam. But an alternative idea might be coating ROPS with a bed liner coating.

For me the whine is tolerable, plus I always use hearing protection. An upside to the whine is, in certain situations, it gives an audible indication of how tractor is performing with respect to range selection & speed. Which is almost always M or L range.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I would have no problem using the foam. But an alternative idea might be coating ROPS with a bed liner coating.
I was thinking of a nice macrame tightly wound covering, maybe tastefully made with baling twine :)

St8 e

Equipment
B2650
Dec 11, 2018
Central PA

I have to remind you that there is a man that is a multi-millionaire because his coffee was too hot...

While I feel like this is a good idea, I have to agree that a dealership will replace it if traded in, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro