Where does your tractor sleep?

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Starting yesterday, My G5200 is backed into the woods and covered with a tarp for the winter.

It was not easy getting it to start at 20F. I had to 'glow' it for nearly 2 minutes just to get 1 cylinder to start firing. (I fully charged the battery just before attempting to start)

Now that my Kubota is out of the way... the SNOWMOBILE is off the storage-trailer and ready for snow. :)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Starting yesterday, My G5200 is backed into the woods and covered with a tarp for the winter.

It was not easy getting it to start at 20F. I had to 'glow' it for nearly 2 minutes just to get 1 cylinder to start firing. (I fully charged the battery just before attempting to start)

Now that my Kubota is out of the way... the SNOWMOBILE is off the storage-trailer and ready for snow. :)
Does any one have a problem with moisture coming up from the ground and damaging the covered machine? Do you place a ground cloth down first? Does the tarp touching the hood etc. cause any damage due to the moisture?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Both mine stay in an unheated barn all winter with the cats of course.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ray, why you have the loader up? Hopefully not to store that way. I once went to look at a tractor (that needed a lot of repairs). The man had a garage packed with "stuff" he parked the tractor in there with the loader up. It bled down and smashed his other smaller tractor.

If one is going to have the loader up for storage or to work on something it would be good to fabricate some cylinder stops to put in place when the cylinder is extended so it can not come down.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Len,

The loader and box scraper park on 3" rubber "bumpers" on the ground. This picture was when I had the roof off for fiberglass repairs of the damage from the prior owner. I wanted a picture of my repaired hood without the FEL in the way. I think this was a day after I put the hood all back together for the first time.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Does any one have a problem with moisture coming up from the ground and damaging the covered machine? Do you place a ground cloth down first? Does the tarp touching the hood etc. cause any damage due to the moisture?
Here in Vermont, the ground gets frozen solid several feet deep. The ground will not thaw until May. Also the air is EXTREMELY dry all winter. Moisture is not an issue.

The tarp touching the 20+ year old paint is not likely to 'damage' it any more than it already is.

The bigger concern is MICE getting up inside, nibbling things and making nests in hard-to-access areas.

EVERY year I get my snowmobile out of storage, there is mouse-damage somewhere. Last year, I had to pull the engine-shrouds off to remove mouse-nest around the cooling-fins. This year, the air-intake was totally full of pussy-smelling fuzz. Whilst I was vacuuming it out, several mice jumped out and ran off. Both of the carburetors were corroded due to the mouse-piss.

Several years ago, the mice had physically chewed thru the plastic headlight housing and filled it with a nest.

I have tried several ways to discourage mice (mothballs...etc) Nothing seems to work. The mice will build a nest right ontop of a handfull of mothballs.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My barn gets down to 45 overnight inside in January and February here in Arizona. My only "safe" heater is a hot Kubota. I have one of those propane element heaters but they put off monoxide. Not good. I bought a fuel oil heater but they put off slightly less monoxide as well. I just dress up in my Carhart overall work suit and I am pretty toasty. If it's not raining, I can open up the doors and let some sun in. Without insulation, trying to heat the space is really futile.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My BX22 originally spent its nights in the garage, but unfortunately for the BX other things crept their way into the garage, and displaced it. This year, I was able to farm out one of my summer cars to a friends garage, and the BX took up residence inside of the Cover-It that the car had previously occupied. I have too many cars, and not enough space for all of them. I am now in divesture mode trying to thin the herd, and only keeping those that I really enjoy. Seems that we spend 2/3 of our life collecting and the last 1/3 trying to get rid of what it took 2/3 to collect. Problem is that all the people that appreciate what I have collected are also the same age as me, and they are also trying to get rid of their "stuff".

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
....... I have too many cars, and not enough space for all of them. I am now in divesture mode trying to thin the herd, and only keeping those that I really enjoy. Seems that we spend 2/3 of our life collecting and the last 1/3 trying to get rid of what it took 2/3 to collect.....
How true. I'm a little more fortunate than you in that motorcycles take up less room than cars. Nevertheless I've come to the conclusion that all my stuff owns me rather than the other way around.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
My BX lives in the pole barn next to my JD430 and among all the other mass of junk I have collected on the last 40 years.
But, I have been getting rid of some of it lately, selling stuff on Craig's List.

Attachments

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Both Kubotas sleep in a 40x44 pole barn with power and cement floor. Occasionally I'll put the BX in the heated garage to melt off snow and ice from snow blowing the drive. Garage gets heat from outside wood boiler. Got rid of the sliding barn door a few years back and replaced with overhead door. Sliding door was a never ending battle, always getting iced in from snow sliding off the steel roof. No regrets!... Jefferson

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Mine has been resting in a carport. Built it a little over a year ago before going to Afghanistan. My wife finished painting the carport this summer. She's been using the 3901 while I'm over here. I have 2 more weeks then I'm home for good.
Thank you for your service. Prayers for all soldiers keeping us safe from the enemy.