What engine (model number) is in the L2501?

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Was asking my dealer about this little guy. Mentioned that I am a fan of the HST, and he told me that I wouldnt be with the 2501. His words were " you have never heard a louder transmission than that one". Anyone care to comment on this?

Doc

hitechredneck

Equipment
L2501, Land Pride Rotary Cutter, Woods tiller, FEL, Dirt Dog box scraper
Sep 21, 2015
Belton, SC
Mine whines a bit. Doesn't bother me though. I go between forward and reverse a lot, and would not be happy without my hst.

It's not much louder than other hydrostatic equipment I've used including bobcat.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Robert3301

Equipment
L3301 HST
Dec 1, 2015
South Carolina
I never drove a hst version of the 2501, I did drive both gear and hst in the 3301 and 3901. This being my first Kubota of any kind, I couldn't really tell you if the whine was abnormally loud or not. There was a whine, but it wasn't anything that made me be cautious about. Having the gear transmission though, I'm still glad I went with that. The gears shift super smooth on this tractor and the synchro from L to reverse is easy and seamless. You can even "rush" the tractor and it won't grind the gears at you, could never do that with my John Deere's.

I think if I were doing 80% or more loader work with the tractor I'd want hst but I'm probably going to use my loader MAYBE 30-40% of the time if that so gear is perfect for me. One thing I'm still getting used to on Kubota tractors is the brakes. I'm used to John Deere where the brakes feel "soft", not so with Kubota. You touch them and you stop on a dime! Really liking this tractor more and more as I use it and don't have any regrets about the options I got/didn't get. Happy with the gears, R1's and if I had to name one gripe it would be that I wish the tractor top speed was a little faster. That's about the only thing I can nitpick though.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Was asking my dealer about this little guy. Mentioned that I am a fan of the HST, and he told me that I wouldnt be with the 2501. His words were " you have never heard a louder transmission than that one". Anyone care to comment on this?

Doc
I gave $900 extra for the HST. Best $900 I ever spent. I had a Deere 3032E before buying this tractor. The HST on this tractor does not seem to be any louder than on the John Deere. I back the tractor into brushy fence rows when bush hogging and the HST is hard to beat for a lot of back and forth motion. If I were buying it over, I would skip my R4 tires to save several hundred dollars but would keep the HST.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
That makes me feel better. I have an mx5100 with hst and my l3010 is getting a bit long in the tooth. May be looking to replace her but can't warm up to the tier 4 stuff. Also a big fan of the hst. Thanks

I gave $900 extra for the HST. Best $900 I ever spent. I had a Deere 3032E before buying this tractor. The HST on this tractor does not seem to be any louder than on the John Deere. I back the tractor into brushy fence rows when bush hogging and the HST is hard to beat for a lot of back and forth motion. If I were buying it over, I would skip my R4 tires to save several hundred dollars but would keep the HST.

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
I've put about 10 hours on my new L2501 so far mostly using the backhoe. The HST whines but no more than my son in laws B2601 or my friends L3800.
This is my first tractor so as far as HP is concerned, I have nothing to compare it to. My primary use for this machine is loader and the backhoe work. I do not have any PTO driven attachments yet. I added third function hydraulics and quick release bucket on the loader as I plan to purchase a grapple in the spring.

With Kubota's financing deal and rebates I decided to equip the tractor with the BH etc. right away for the package deal and zero interest.

hitechredneck

Equipment
L2501, Land Pride Rotary Cutter, Woods tiller, FEL, Dirt Dog box scraper
Sep 21, 2015
Belton, SC
I wonder if they will do financing on just the backhoe (separate note). I could really use it.
Is it hard to take off and put on?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

millsrv

Equipment
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
My friend with the L3800 asked the dealer about financing on the BH only. The reply was "it is available from Kubota but not zero interest." It may be worth talking to your dealer about.
Removing and reinstalling the BH (done one time) about 20 minutes.

Last edited:

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
I wonder if they will do financing on just the backhoe (separate note). I could really use it.

On my MX, it is about 10 minutes off, and 20 minutes on. Think I would be about the same on the 2501.

Doc

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Engine Model # for the L2501F and L2501D models is D1703-M-DI-E4-LB2

Engine Model # for the L2501H model is D1703-M-DI-E4-LB1

Yes different engines models in different model tractors.

For those that keep saying it' the same motor as the L3300 (D1703A) and the L35 (D1703TLB), well that's not exactly true, it would be like saying that the 1999 5.7 Liter Chevrolet engine is the same as the 1970 Chevy 350, Yes they are both the same size Cubic inch or Liter wise, they are both small blocks but they are not the same motor.

#1 Major differences would be the L3300 and the L35 would be they were Indirect injection models and the L2501 is a Direct injection model, this changes the motor design quite drastically.
In order to make that change from IDI to DI and to meet E$ standards, they had to change the crank, cam, rods, pistons, head, valves, injectors and a ton of other parts.
Those part changes, change the bore , stroke, and displacement (it's actually slightly smaller than the older engine).
Those changes make the Engine produce less power and peak at less RPM's but it's a cleaner running engine than the original design.

I'm not saying it wasn't a smart move, because it was, as it doesn't need all the other Emissions parts to make it a clean running engine.

Last edited:

millsrv

Equipment
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA

From my experience Kubota will not finance the attachments (zero percent) unless you purchase them with the tractor. I purchased the BH77 backhoe with my L2501 and got zero percent on the whole package. My friend decided to purchase the backhoe after the tractor (he loved mine) and was unable to get zero precent financing from Kubota. I believe that Kubota will finance the attachments, just not at zero percent.

The BH is not hard to take on and off but there is a learning curve.

If you even think you want the BH Get it Now with Zero Percent Financing I use it more than anything else, just had to unearth my septic system lid under 18 inches of very hard dirt. We were not sure where it was, so that would have been a nightmare without the BH.
Try to find a used BH for these tractors, even if you do it will likely cost nearly the same as a new one. I have had this tractor for almost two years now and would not hesitate to buy it again.

Last edited:

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I bought my L2501DT a year ago and am very pleased. Before I bought it I was after a tractor in the 30hp range. When I learned the 3301 had the emissions garbage I looked harder at the 2501. Since the motor was about the same size and the torque was the same at a lower rpm I decided on the 2501. I am glad I did. It has plenty of power and I find I spin the tires way before I run out of power. I figure one day I will read on this forum where somebody will figure out a way to add some hp to the 2501 motor. It would be an interesting project for somebody who knows what they are doing to take on.

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
I found this on Wikipedia:

D1703-M-DI
Direct injection version of D1703-M
Bore x Stroke = 83 mm x 92.4 mm
Max Power / RPM = 36.7 hp / 2,800 RPM
Max Torque / RPM = 10.7 kgm / 1,700 RPM
Dry Weight = 148 kg

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
From my experience Kubota will not finance the attachments (zero percent) unless you purchase them with the tractor. I purchased the BH77 backhoe with my L2501 and got zero percent on the whole package. My friend decided to purchase the backhoe after the tractor (he loved mine) and was unable to get zero precent financing from Kubota. I believe that Kubota will finance the attachments, just not at zero percent.

The BH is not hard to take on and off but there is a learning curve.

If you even think you want the BH Get it Now with Zero Percent Financing I use it more than anything else, just had to unearth my septic system lid under 18 inches of very hard dirt. We were not sure where it was, so that would have been a nightmare without the BH.
Try to find a used BH for these tractors, even if you do it will likely cost nearly the same as a new one. I have had this tractor for almost two years now and would not hesitate to buy it again.
Your statement about Kubota not financing attachments for 0%for stand alone attchaments is partially incorrect. If it has a serial number and over $2500.00 sale price, they will finance it for 2 years at 0%.

Pat

Davidson89

Equipment
L2501
Aug 17, 2018
Milroy Indiana
Old thread and didn’t read every comment but browsed through them quick. I just recently bought a L2501 HST and I am mainly using it for clearing heavy brush and maintaining 10 acres. At first I was worried about the power but my dealer(Stones) in Indiana told me that the L2501 was dynoed at a lower rpm (2200rpm) from factory so that it would hit lower hp numbers and slide in under emissions cutoff. They have actually designed and patented turbo kits for kubota and have a dyno in house. The L2501 HST has a true dyno number of 29hp at the pto (around 2800rpm) which would be somewhere around 35-36ish at crank

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Old thread and didn’t read every comment but browsed through them quick. I just recently bought a L2501 HST and I am mainly using it for clearing heavy brush and maintaining 10 acres. At first I was worried about the power but my dealer(Stones) in Indiana told me that the L2501 was dynoed at a lower rpm (2200rpm) from factory so that it would hit lower hp numbers and slide in under emissions cutoff. They have actually designed and patented turbo kits for kubota and have a dyno in house. The L2501 HST has a true dyno number of 29hp at the pto (around 2800rpm) which would be somewhere around 35-36ish at crank
Davidson shows up, drops this bomb, and flies over the next dune never to be seen again. I was interested enough to look up Stones Farm Service in Indiana and looked again today. It seems that they hot rod small engines in their 'Skunk Works'. The Skunk Works is in Milwaukee WI rather than Indiana where their tractor sales are. That might be to keep the factory reps from getting worked up about performance tinkering. I wonder if they have and Kubota engines at their beer town facility. Presumably their dyno is rated to test small engines since that's what they are building. I see OTT members tinkering with settings in this thread. Some folks have a knack and I'd like to get their seat of the pants performance increase from raising the top rpm. I'm happy with the performance of my stock L2501 but can't say the same for my Excursion if I set the dp-tuner to 1, stock. It makes the truck feel like I hooked up to a 5th wheel compared to the 80 horse economy tune. For the tractor, I know about the PTO rpm and gearing issues but for digging, pulling and dragging box or land planes it might be fun to have more ponies. I don't plan on any cutting edge mods myself but will be paying attention and cheering on anyone who is.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Seems to me that the motor is rated/geared for 2200RPM. If you run it faster you're running your implement at more than 540 PTO RPM, and running your hydraulic pumps faster than their design speed (which may or may not result in them pumping more fluid or at higher pressure).

To actually run it faster you might also need to deal with breathing - you typically would have to on a car that you're pushing up the redline on.

For straight out pulling, I'd presume running at higher revs and more HP works, for the other tasks a tractor does getting more useful power probably means a bigger pump or re-gearing your PTO.

Interesting to see if people are successful, but I'm a bit sceptical. If you're doing it because it's fun, then by all means. If you're doing it to end up with a higher HP tractor for cheap, I suspect long term it'd be cheaper to buy a 3301.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
My 2501 is a gear drive. To me the advantage of the larger engine that is rated at lower rpm is, when I'm bush hogging and going through the thickest weeds and brush, I can ride the foot throttle a little if it starts to bog down. I rarely have to do that, but when I see I'm coming up on overgrown sections of a field that's high grass I can anticipate it and go ahead and throw a little more rpm's at it to keep the pto at 540. I know you can do that on other tractors but if your spinning 540 close to wot there's not much room there where the 2501 has a little to spare.

I've yet to come across anything that I haven't been able to cleanly mow in a single pass, and I've tackled some very neglected property.