L2501 Hydraulic Oil Filter

socal996

Dec 19, 2019
Victor, MT
I bought a used L2501 (100 hours) and when buying used I like to change oil and filters just to make sure these things are current in regards to calendar time and hours on the machine. I've changed the engine oil and filter, and the transmission filter plus various other checks. This all went very smoothly. I'm getting ready to change the hydraulic filter, but am a bit confused in regards to the magnet that is, I believe part of the filter, manual says to wipe off the magnet, but isn't a new magnet part of the new filter? If so, why would I need to wipe them from the old filter? Any guidance much appreciated.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I don't have your answer, but suggest you go here and get both the Operator's Manual (OPS) and Workshop Manual (WSM) for your L2501. They're free.

http://www.kubotabooks.com/

They will be invaluable in the future.

Lot of guys and gals here on OTT love their L2501's!

Welcome to OTT!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The magnet at least on both of my M's is attached to a threaded stud that goes down the middle of the filter. When you take the filter off, the magnet is exposed. You wipe it off and replace the filter. The magnet and stud remain fastened to the transmission case.

Don't forget to check the air filter as well.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I believe the purpose of wiping off the magnet in the old filter is to see if you're picking up any small metal filings. Use a white cloth to better see what's going on.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The magnet at least on both of my M's is attached to a threaded stud that goes down the middle of the filter. When you take the filter off, the magnet is exposed. You wipe it off and replace the filter. The magnet and stud remain fastened to the transmission case.

Don't forget to check the air filter as well.
The magnet on most new Kubota's is a ring that fits in the filter inside the gasket. Older models like yours have it on a rod in the middle, actually prone to getting broken off! The new filter might not come with a magnet in which case you would clean off the old one and put it into the new filter.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Haven't broken either but I knew they were there. Clearly pictured in the WSM. Guess I'm lucky, they are somewhat fragile.

socal996

Dec 19, 2019
Victor, MT
Yep, new filter has a magnet as part of it. Old filter had a magnet attached that captured some of the shavings. Old is off and new is on, need to be quick on the change over as fluid comes out at a fairly rapid pace. These L2501s are easy to work on.

Thank you all for responding

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I haven’t yet changed my filters (due in another 50 hrs or so) therefore I’ve not witnessed first-hand the magnets. But with my other machinery, I place rare-earth or other magnets on the outside of the filter “can” to capture any stray ferrous material. Cutting open those filters usually displays “gray” smudge attracted to the magnet on the inside of the can, but if any large pieces made it that far I’m sure they’d be captured too.
But here’s the curious thing about this subject: If large parts were captured by the magnet... the filter media would also have captured them and prevented further migration or re-entering the engine. And the tiny particles making up the “smudge” found is supposedly so small as to be harmless if it passes thru the media.
If the Kubota magnet is inside the “rod” then it’s inside the filter media. Why didn’t the media capture it? If that is the physical location of the Kubota magnets, then that means the media was damaged to allow the parts to get to the magnet already. If particles are found on that magnet...then there is also a possibility there is parts inside the engine already! It’s likely a tear-down is the only way to cure the problem.
So the bottom line would indicate that magnet is only for the purpose of capturing (maybe) any ferrous material that had passed thru a damaged or collapsed filter. (Think of an open by-pass valve due to a blocked filter.)
A contaminated magnet means a failed filter and a failed filter will have allowed bad stuff into the transmission. Any NON-ferrous material will not have been captured at all.
Hmmmnn.... so the magnet is like a canary in the coal mine that died too late.