Paint for bare steel homebrew attachments?

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have used rattle can Appliance enamel with epoxy. 1 step...works great...easy to fix.

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
I find single part moisture cured polyurethanes to work really well. One (over-advertised) product is POR-15; there are other sources. Some have aluminum powder mixed in... excellent primer. Not cheap, but a quart will likely suffice. Very tough. Can be top coated with your favorite spray enamel, or you can leave it silver looking.

Aluthane is one brand I've used; there are lots of others.

- Bart

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
If you look up the worst painter in the world, there is a picture of me.... With that in mind...

In the basement for the winter.... I have part of a gallon of International red, and part of a gallon of JD yellow paint..

When needed, I just cut the skin off the top of the paint, and use as it is.. The prep I use is to go over as much as I can with a wire brush on a 4" side grinder. Then a rag of acetone or alcohol depending on what is available. When dry, I paint and let dry for a week or so before moving.. It actually takes 2-3 weeks to be set the best.. I'm not impatient about letting it cure.

I'm not particular about color, or show room quality of the job.. Protection of the implement is my concern.