shipping

Frank Collins

Equipment
L3540
Nov 12, 2019
Moving from Ms to Pagosa Springs,Co
Just found out that the guy I bought my 3540 from can't deliver it. It's in Effingham, illinois and I need to get it to SW Colorado along with 4 implements. It's 1132 miles.
I've got a Ford F150 with the small turbocharged engine. I might could borrow a trailer but am concerned about the weight on my truck. I did recently haul a carhauler trailer carrying my 1976 jeep with no problems but I think the tractor with frontend loader and implements may weight about 2,000 lbs more.
Suggestions appreciated. Want to move it in May 2020.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just found out that the guy I bought my 3540 from can't deliver it. It's in Effingham, illinois and I need to get it to SW Colorado along with 4 implements. It's 1132 miles.
I've got a Ford F150 with the small turbocharged engine. I might could borrow a trailer but am concerned about the weight on my truck. I did recently haul a carhauler trailer carrying my 1976 jeep with no problems but I think the tractor with frontend loader and implements may weight about 2,000 lbs more.
Suggestions appreciated. Want to move it in May 2020.
Either get a shipper to move it, or rent a much larger truck to move it! ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You can contact "U-Ship" to get quotes. You need the address of pick up and delivery. Date you want picked up. You need the dimensions for height, width, length of overall unit. You need the weight of the machine.

You will get several quotes, usually 5-10. You do not have to accept any offers. You are under no obligation to any one. When/if you accept an offer you only pay "U-Ship". The driver gets a number and gives that number to you when you receive the item. That is when you sign off and accept the shipment. The driver received his money from U-Ship.

Only negative I have is you can not communicate via phone or email with a potential driver until after you accept his bid. You can only communicate through U-Ship forum. That's how they insure no body gets around them lining up a load to a driver and not getting paid.

I've used them a couple of times. Just do not get into a hurry. You are in Charge!!

If you decide to go this route send me a PM. I have a couple of numbers of guys I have used previously and would not need to go thru U-Ship ...if they're still hauling.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Be very careful using U-ship. They do not vet their carriers. The person that will carry your tractor may not be a legitimate carrier. He may sell your tractor out from under you. He may not be properly insured thus you will lose your investment if he has an accident. I doubt they have a MC number that is required to transport cargo across state lines. And yes there are people that have used them without a problem. However look at the reviews and understand that U-ship will not assume any responsibility if something goes wrong with the shipment. Also these illegal, and yes they are illegal, carriers may have their trucks and cargo impounded for their infractions.

Log onto their website and look at their prices. A lot of the bids are for less then what insurance alone costs for a commercial truck. When you are hauling "FOR HIRE" you need both truck and cargo insurance. Ask the carrier for a "Certificate of Insurance" just to cover your investment.

Most private insurance will not cover a loss if the person was using the truck "For Hire". If he is carrying his own equipment his insurance will cover only his own equipment.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
If you haven't paid for the tractor might be time to back out and wait till your moved then buy a little more local. Maybe time to trade up to a " real " truck :D
Here in East Tx there are " hot shot " trucks behind every tree it seems. Lot of oil field equipment manufacturing with lots going to Canada and dead heading back . Google search. Make sure your hauler has DoT # & verify

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Be very careful using U-ship.
PLUS freaking 1.

U-ship is simply a free-for-all marketplace. If you do use them, I strongly suggest not selecting the lowest bidder. I was burnt very badly using u-ship for transporting a thankfully not-so-special car from coast to coast and it was a complete nightmare. I almost had to report the car stolen and it was involved in an accident while on the truck, zero communication. One of the most poorly handled, unprofessional, experiences of my life. The money saved not using my regular auto shipper was not worth it.

I would suggest using a reputable tractor / equipment shipping company. There are some suggestions and sponsors on the other tractor forum.

the tractor weighs 3500lbs? plus a few thousand for implements, tops. So maybe you are at 6-8000 pounds. If your F150 can tow 10,000 you are well within limits if you can fit it inside an enclosed / equipment trailer.

Maybe time to trade up to a " real " truck :D
Here in East Tx there are " hot shot " trucks behind every tree it seems.
wait, so you are suggesting the OP buy a "real" truck because he needs to move a tractor one time from point A to B? LOL give me a break.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Heck, go rent a big U-Haul box truck one way and haul it in that.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Heck, go rent a big U-Haul box truck one way and haul it in that.
I bought my old L 4630 from a guy in Fla. My buddy rented one a those and managed to get the tractor with FEL and loader, 6 foot bush hog and 6 foot box blade into the truck.
He had to let the air out of the rear tires to clear the rear door header but it all fit.
I think the total cost was about $1k with gas food and lodging; worth it for a safe secure trip

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've hauled a lot of stuff in U Haul box trucks besides furniture and I too have hauled a tractor before in one. Problem is, you cannot use the loading ramp so you have to find a back up to dock to get it in and out but they work and they have E-Track on the sides and floor to tie stuff down with.

When you close the door, no one knows what is inside.....:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I hauled an L3250 in a 6' wide stock trailer, couple hundred miles from OK. Had to take the muffler off, and have a young guy there at the farm drive it i there. Wasn't much room to crawl out!

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I have brought home many cars from states away inside a u-hall truck. Locate a loading dock at each end and have at it. Always ask permission and if you must use one at a operating business, a bottle of jack goes a long way with the night Foreman.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
B737 why not go ahead & get a truck/trailer that will tow the tractor ? He is moving to Co. and I presume to a rural location since he needs a tractor. He may find the need for a plow on his truck in winter