L3560 limited vs l4060

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Isn't tractor shopping fun?
Be sure the dealer isn't comparing apples to oranges with his pricing. I am not familiar with the mx5400 pricing. Cabs on both models? Transmission types?
The mx5400 is a larger machine, both weight and HP, which may fit well with your intended use. Or may not.

The only other considerations (IMHO) are the Grand L features like the HST + transmissions, which are really nice. I personally really like the features like the linked throttle, stall guard, and Hi-Lo in each range. Full disclosure, I am partial to the L4060!
Happy shopping!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You mentioned you were set on the L4060. For all the features you give up (as troverman listed) I'd stick with my original premonition. You'll be glad you did after using some of those features.

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
I would drive both an MX and the Grand L3560 and L4060 series. Our son has had a Grand L since new in 2009 and has around 2200 hours on it and decided this past Spring to get another utility tractor and looked at many models and had decided on a L3560HST but another dealer had a L4060HST in a crate and was only about $1200 more than what the other dealer wanted for an L3560. He went with open station, loader and WR Long 3rd function. Some years ago he had a MX5100HST and it was a nice tractor, very beefy. The noticeable things on it vs. his L3940 was a noisier engine and a way louder tranny whine especially in high range and 4WD. Anyway like some of the others have mentioned the Stall Guard, the 2 speeds in each range, the auto downshift into the lower range on the column are all super nice. I'm still trying to figure out how they got the transmission so quiet in the Grand L series. One thing he has always said about the MX was that the rear felt lighter when using the loader than the L3940. I think that's a combination of a heavier loader with a fair bit more reach out in front of the tractor. Both had the same rear R4 tires filled with methanol.

The reason I found this thread is I was looking for tips on replacing the front axle top seals left and right, it's the very first repair the L3940 has needed, not bad for 2200 hours.

On a side note, he moved two 4x5' round bales, one on a 3 point spear and the other on a QA loader spear, today about a 4 mile roundtrip on the road and said it knocked the DPF down 24% while doing so. Running wide open.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
My MX4800 had a very quiet HST transmission. Yeah, in high range it whines a little, but no real complaints. The standard L series (2501/3301/3901) has a noticeably loud HST transmission, but you get used to it.

The MX has 8-lug rear wheels vs the 6-lug you find on any L60 series machine. The most interesting thing to me is how even though the MX is a category 1/2 3-point hitch, the L60 series tractor can actually lift more even with the lower horsepower models. The MX has a single, internal lift cylinder for the hitch; the L60 series has dual external lift cylinders which are preferred.

I loved my MX and would recommend it to anyone, but to be perfectly honest I've loved and would recommend any and all the Kubotas I've owned.

My current L4060 HSTC is my favorite though. It is so nice to have those luxury features.

RoadmasterD

Equipment
L3560HSTC-LE
Jan 10, 2020
Oregon
I purchased an L3560HSTC LE a few months ago, the cab and drivetrain are really nice. There was a substantial discount for the LE version and you give up some features but after careful consideration I went with the most tractor I could afford at the time even though a 40 or 50 HP tractor wouldn't be overkill.

I was very curious about adding back a few items, mainly the cruise control. I couldn't find any reference online to support that the addition of the $80 switch would add back the feature and the dealer couldn't say for sure. Well I received some parts from Messick's yesterday and I can now confirm, for anyone who cares, that adding the switch restores the cruise control functionality. It was super easy to install and will be a real nice feature for mowing our large pasture.

I'm adding back the right step, factory work light switches for LEDs, PTO seat safety override switch, 12v plug, and of course cruise control. All of this for under $400 and the LE was $2,500 less than the standard.

mmehling

Equipment
BX25 (2010); L3650LE (coming 2020)
Jan 30, 2020
Central NY
I purchased an L3560HSTC LE a few months ago ... I'm adding back the right step, factory work light switches for LEDs, PTO seat safety override switch, 12v plug, and of course cruise control. All of this for under $400 and the LE was $2,500 less than the standard.
RoadmasterD,

I've just signed on an L3560LE myself, and would be interested in how you've fared so far in retrofitting the missing parts.

I've seen the helpful Messick's L3560LE video and parts list, but from what I saw that only contained some of the missing elements (e.g. not the 12V outlet). Also, you mentioned you'll go for LEDs, which makes a lot of sense - were you able to locate a wiring harness, and did you find a suitable LED brand/type?

I'd be really interested in any links/tips/advice you might have!

Thanks -
Mike

biohazard

Equipment
2017 Kubota B2650 HSDC
Dec 30, 2017
Minnesota
Recently upgraded from a b2650 to an l4060. I threw back and forth a 3560 vs a 4060 for a looong time and it was a tough decision. I actually ordered a 3560, then switch to a 4060 later for piece of mind.

My reasoning was my b2650 was a bit under powered and it always drove me nuts. I wanted to have that extra 5hp and the same base engine as the other larger models just for piece of mind.

Do I need it? Nope, a 3560 is just fine and would probably do anything without issue.

Super pleased with my 4060, wish I would have bought this one in the first place.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
For me, I noticed the 3560 has a 3-cylinder engine and the 4060 has a 4-cylinder engine. A 4-cylinder is inherently smoother.

RoadmasterD

Equipment
L3560HSTC-LE
Jan 10, 2020
Oregon
RoadmasterD,

I've just signed on an L3560LE myself, and would be interested in how you've fared so far in retrofitting the missing parts.

I've seen the helpful Messick's L3560LE video and parts list, but from what I saw that only contained some of the missing elements (e.g. not the 12V outlet). Also, you mentioned you'll go for LEDs, which makes a lot of sense - were you able to locate a wiring harness, and did you find a suitable LED brand/type?

I'd be really interested in any links/tips/advice you might have!

Thanks -
Mike
Mike,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I had no problems with installing all of the parts I added back to the LE. The wiring for the front work lights was right there under the cab roof. The cab roof came off super easy and while I had it off I added a Sony stereo since it was really easy access. The LED lights I purchased from Amazon are (Nilight Led Light Bar 2PCS 36w 6.5Inch Flood Led Off Road Lights). I bought a set for the front and the back and so far no water intrusion or any other problems. I used the factory switches which I added back. I made a simple bracket out of a piece of aluminum angle to adapt the lights to the factory mount holes (see pic).

The PTO safety switch was a good choice to add back since I bought a used PTO driven wood chipper.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
New and first post.
I have a L3560LE Cab with loader. Mine has loaded R4's, Kubota loader, SSQA, 3rd function, mesh over the grill...
It's awesome, I love it.
I added back the mirrors & front work lights at purchase.
Put an alpine stereo in with an ebay harness. Will add 12v outlet & some led rear lights w/factory switch soon, maybe. Probably add back cruise too.

It has exceeded my expectations. A few times I have wished for more power when pulling my perfecta 10 in damp dense soil.

Overall it was an exceptional value

EDIT: ordered rear light switch, cruise switch and seat switch from messicks today

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
...Mine has loaded R4's, Kubota loader, SSQA, 3rd function, mesh over the grill...
What's the mesh over the grille look like? I'm assuming you are putting in there to keep pollens and grass chaff out of the radiator?

Is it on the plastic grille itself or the metal grille guard?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
New and first post.
I have a L3560LE Cab with loader. Mine has loaded R4's, Kubota loader, SSQA, 3rd function, mesh over the grill...
It's awesome, I love it.
I added back the mirrors & front work lights at purchase.
Put an alpine stereo in with an ebay harness. Will add 12v outlet & some led rear lights w/factory switch soon, maybe. Probably add back cruise too.

It has exceeded my expectations. A few times I have wished for more power when pulling my perfecta 10 in damp dense soil.

Overall it was an exceptional value
Thanks for the update. I know I have really liked my L3560 and really been pleased with the performance. I also did mesh on my grill guard.

Attachments

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
What's the mesh over the grille look like? I'm assuming you are putting in there to keep pollens and grass chaff out of the radiator?

Is it on the plastic grille itself or the metal grille guard?
Metal like posted above.
I'll try to post some pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Thanks. Better protection! My problem is field chaff getting sucked into the radiators; hard to get around without blocking off adequate cooling with fine mesh.

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
Thanks. Better protection! My problem is field chaff getting sucked into the radiators; hard to get around without blocking off adequate cooling with fine mesh.
I used to run a forestry mulcher. To combat that I would cut a universal air filter from lowes to size and shake out as needed. It made a big difference.
the ones I used were blue, trim to fit and held up well.

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
That might be a good idea. Thanks.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I noticed at the dealer one other thing you "lose" on the Limited Edition tractors...the model designation lettering on the hood is a raised relief on the regular models, and a flat sticker on the Limited models. Not that it matters, but I just noticed it!

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
I noticed at the dealer one other thing you "lose" on the Limited Edition tractors...the model designation lettering on the hood is a raised relief on the regular models, and a flat sticker on the Limited models. Not that it matters, but I just noticed it!
You are correct. However, I prefer the sticker over the raised letters. My L3560LE stickers are perfect. One of the letters on my MX5400 has been damaged somehow.
The L3560LE continues to be a great tractor. I do not perceive any excessive vibration from the 3cyl engine

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Mike,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I had no problems with installing all of the parts I added back to the LE. The wiring for the front work lights was right there under the cab roof. The cab roof came off super easy and while I had it off I added a Sony stereo since it was really easy access. The LED lights I purchased from Amazon are (Nilight Led Light Bar 2PCS 36w 6.5Inch Flood Led Off Road Lights). I bought a set for the front and the back and so far no water intrusion or any other problems. I used the factory switches which I added back. I made a simple bracket out of a piece of aluminum angle to adapt the lights to the factory mount holes (see pic).

The PTO safety switch was a good choice to add back since I bought a used PTO driven wood chipper.
Don't know how I missed this but awesome tractor, congrats. She looks much better with the R4's but the R1's are better for my use, enjoy.