Propellor Shaft Removal

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd say remove the cover. Then you'll see the shaft. There is a coupling at each end that is usually held in place by a roll pin, but it may be a cir-clip on some tractors. Once the pin or cir-clip is removed the coupling will slide. When both coupling (front of shaft and back of shaft) are removed the shaft will be free.

If the couplings do not want to easily slide, you can spray with a solvent and then tap gently to get them to slide on the splines they rest on.

If you can get online to find a parts diagram you can see a picture of the arrangement to help you out. Look for front axle and the propeller shaft.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The WSM page shows the shaft has a bolted cover and snap rings - as D2Cat describes.

If its ok to ask, what's prompting removal? Take care, Dick B

everettapples

Equipment
M95X, M6800, 121-3 F3060 1760
Dec 25, 2017
Island View, NB CA
Attempting to remove propeller shaft and covering tube to replace oil pan on M95X.
have tube lose and both couple pins punched out but shaft tube will not drop enough to go by the front end differential rear bearing assembly? does it have to be removed?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Attempting to remove propeller shaft and covering tube to replace oil pan on M95X.
have tube lose and both couple pins punched out but shaft tube will not drop enough to go by the front end differential rear bearing assembly? does it have to be removed?
You will have to lower the front axle enough so the drive shaft can be slid out above it.

everettapples

Equipment
M95X, M6800, 121-3 F3060 1760
Dec 25, 2017
Island View, NB CA
Yes thank you very much for a quick reply , that makes sense.
I had contacted my local dealer and was informed the propeller shaft and tube would come out without unhooking the axle assembly.
Today I was going to attempt to unbolt the engine oil pan and see if it could be removed by pulling it forward and rolling it over the propeller shaft tubing, but this was probably wishful thinking:)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Yes thank you very much for a quick reply , that makes sense.
I had contacted my local dealer and was informed the propeller shaft and tube would come out without unhooking the axle assembly.
Today I was going to attempt to unbolt the engine oil pan and see if it could be removed by pulling it forward and rolling it over the propeller shaft tubing, but this was probably wishful thinking:)
I haven't ever tried to get the pan off that way but I have my doubts it is possible.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea like eserv said: that's a one piece shaft cover and dropping the front axle is the only way to get it out, odd that kubota went that route after years of a two piece shaft cover.

And I wouldn't think it even remotely possible to be able to drop the pan enough to be able to get it out like that.

Last edited: